Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Cool Zone" for tailgating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I joined a new tailgate group for Texas A&M home games and in this particular location I can park my car immediately near the tailgate. This got me to thinking about a way to engineer a system of fans & tarps to blow the AC from the Tesla across the tailgate. My rough idea is to have two or three box fans propped up in the trunk, close the hatch as much as possible, and use some tarps to cover the air leak from the sides of the hatch. The fans will be plugged into an external generator. I only live about 10 miles away so I don't have to worry about excessive battery drainage.

Has anyone tried this? I don't need it for this coming weekend as it will be cool but I'm excited to try and figure it out for next year's blazing hot September games.

A box fan can move 2000+ cubic feet of air per minute and the inside of the car is maybe 150 cubic feet at best. The fans will empty the cold air from the car in a matter of seconds and the AC won’t be able to keep up with the air flow of the box fans. Just setting up some large fans to keep the air moving would be better than nothing, but I seriously doubt that standing in front of the fans that you would be able to tell the difference between the fans running alone or the fans running with the AC on max. You might be able to cool a small tent with the AC from the car, but I don’t think you have any hope of even making a dent in the temp of a non enclosed space.

Reactions: RScottyL and KidDoc