Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so excited - just got an email indicating that the MCU1 is essentially getting a 100K mile and 8yr warranty!

Wording here:
Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

I received it too and wanted to create a post but you beat me to it.

TL;DR - Warranty for MCU1 has been extended to 8years/100k miles instead of original 4years/50k miles. If you paid to get such a repair, it will be reimbursed early next year.

Just got the email too. Im still under my Extended warranty from buying it used from them but just got my car back last week for the Tegra Daughter-board repair fixed under warranty. I will say that my MCU does run much better now. everything is as snappy as its ever been (with the exception of the non-useable web browser) but not sure if that is because they had to wipe my MCU settings or because of the new memory chip.

I bet a lot of people are going to be getting back a lot of money from this email.

I wonder if people who did the MCU2 upgrade will get some of the re-imbursed. The service center guys were pushing me pretty hard to get the upgrade when I took the car into them last month but I didnt want to spend the $2500 but now it makes me wonder if I did spend it that I would be getting some of it back.

Great news! It also helps me in deciding NOT to buy the extended warranty. For $4,500, the main reason to do it was for the touch screen. I'm sure other stuff can go, but now that the motors, battery, and touchscreen are all covered for 8 years, I'm feeling I'll come out ahead just keeping the $4,500. Thoughts?

I got the letter too. The MCU's in both my S and X have been having a lot of issue lately. I have an appointment for the X on 11/13 and another for the S on 12/11 for MCU related issues.

What I understand from the letter is that they will only replace the EMMC.
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 5.20.55 PM.jpeg

I visited the "Learn More" link but it didn't provide any specific information about the MCU issues

Response from my SA:
If you previously paid for a repair for the specific part and condition covered by the program and the paid repair was within the Warranty Adjustment Program period, you may be eligible for a refund subject to certain terms and conditions.

We will contact owners of affected vehicles with more information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursements by or before February 2021.

I'm so excited - just got an email indicating that the MCU1 is essentially getting a 100K mile and 8yr warranty!

Wording here:
Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

about damn time, it was going to be a recall anyways