Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would understand if Elon mailed out cheques for $420, but has anyone figured out what $320 is supposed to represent?
Part itself is $120. Labor is around $200 depending on what part of the country you’re in. In my case it was $170. So $320’ish in the case of reimbursement for those that paid for full MCU. Otherwise should be exact amt you paid for the daughter board replacement.

Reactions: dark cloud
It took them that long to fit the MCU2 ?
I think my case was pretty extreme. On 6/26/20 the iphone app lost connection with the car. I didn't think too much about it, I figured it was my new VPN. But on 6/30/20 when I tried to drive the main screen was blank, so was the dash display. I tried multiple times to reboot/start the car but could not get any of the displays to come online. Unfortunately I have set up a passcode for driving, with a dead main screen I couldn't start. I had the car flatbedded to the Raleigh SC on 6/30 and the car was not fixed until 8/11/20. So yeah. it took that long. In the SC's defense they were moving to a new location (I did not know this until later) which may have slowed their work. Also, with my car dead the app doesn't work for communicating with Tesla. I had to navigate endless phone trees and occasionally reached a real human. Very frustrating experience.

• Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
I have a 2015 S 70D w/AP1. When my MCU1 w/3G failed in July 2020, I used my Tesla App to book appointment stating all controls failed, no dash screen, no turn signal, no AC, no backup camera etc... Tesla replied saying that they diagnosed the problem OTA and determined that it was MCU1 failure and I will need to spend $1500 to replace with another MCU1 (refurbished) panel. They even mentioned I shouldn't be driving the car if I don't feel safe without all the controls. They further stated that appointment will be booked for me to bring the car into Service Center for repair as soon as they have an ETA on when the replacement part will be arriving.

Instead of agreeing to replace the defective MCU1 with another refurbished MCU1, I asked Tesla if my car can be upgraded to MCU2 w/4G LTE and the total cost. They came back with a quote of $2500 + tax. So I asked them to proceed with an upgrade to MCU2. Then all the news about the $500 eMMC repair, cheaper MCU1 and MCU2 panel replacement, MCU1 recall notice etc came out. I was so disappointed because I picked the wrong time to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2 as well as I paid the higher price for the upgrade.

Then came an email from Tesla in March 2021 saying that I maybe qualified for a MCU repair reimbursement but then I also saw a lot of ineligible claims in this forum because of being an upgrade instead of a repair. Well, my story have a happy ending, I've just received a refund of $1480 on my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade after submitting my claim a couple months ago. So best wishes to all of you whom have their MCU1 upgraded MCU2. *** Make sure you check your JUNK email folder because my Tesla Reimbursement email was actually stuck in my JUNK folder. If I didn't check my JUNK folder, I would have thought that my MCU2 upgrade was ineligible. And I wouldn't have been able to follow the instructions in the email to submit a refund claim. Good luck folks.