Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so excited - just got an email indicating that the MCU1 is essentially getting a 100K mile and 8yr warranty!

Wording here:
Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.
hi i just had this done on my 85d 2015 they called it a daughterboard replacement or VCM but now my ULTRA high fidelity no longer works ,its a very noticeable difference and service is telling me its not related . parts were listed as MSX VCM tegra rev ....(64gb) ....and also SIM card ,Telus 2ff.... this is very upsetting and also no nav till a download is complete which i've tried twice without success

Ok, 2015 still under warranty, I got the "Screen not available" warning, unresponsive screen, white out in part of the screen, long reboots, poor nav response, bluetooth issues etc. Tesla is giving me a hard time, saying despite the email addressing malfunctioning chips, the guy on the OTA diagnostic side says the chip has to fail to qualify under their non-recall Warranty Adjustment Program. Anyone else having issues with Tesla's reading comprehension?

Ok, 2015 still under warranty, I got the "Screen not available" warning, unresponsive screen, white out in part of the screen, long reboots, poor nav response, bluetooth issues etc. Tesla is giving me a hard time, saying despite the email addressing malfunctioning chips, the guy on the OTA diagnostic side says the chip has to fail to qualify under their non-recall Warranty Adjustment Program. Anyone else having issues with Tesla's reading comprehension?

Typically Tesla's version of "Fail" is very specific parameters they define, or up to the advisor. Typically most owners version of "Fail" = not working as expected. Often the 2 versions fail to meet.

quick question for those that have had the daughterboard swap - how long did it take at the service center ? hours, days ?
@dedicatedtek, looks like no one so far that's had it done already has answered your question, so let me try. I've not had the daughterboard replaced, but have read here many times from those who have. It's like you hinted, hours or days. It should take about four hours, when they use the provisioned board. Because it already contains an older version of the firmware, they can remove/install it and put it back in the car. Then perform some touchup like adding your security certificates and test, and let you go home. Then at home, you would connect to WiFi and download a current version. But sometimes, they have problems getting the provisioned version to boot and operate, so they download a newer version there and install it to get the car working properly. Sometimes they have trouble with that, and must fix it. We've seen reports where the daughterboard didn't fix it and they had to replace the entire MCU1 to resolve it. Wading through all these trials costs more time. So, like you said, hours or days - sometimes.

I am so freaking angry right now...

may MCU had been super wonky bordering on a safety issue for a week and a half. I was told daughterboard replacement and today I got a message to come get my car even tho i was originally told next week earliest.

I get the final invoice and it says it was firmware related. Good freaking lord. It doesn’t work that way. You don’t run firmware for over a month with zero issues and then all of a sudden it has an issue.

honestly if it was just the blank screen I’d be like oh well let’s fix it. But it’s that and so much more. I don’t know how to get them to fix it. They understand what’s going on. They just want to blame it on firmware.

may MCU had been super wonky bordering on a safety issue for a week and a half. I was told daughterboard replacement and today I got a message to come get my car even tho i was originally told next week earliest.

I get the final invoice and it says it was firmware related. Good freaking lord. It doesn’t work that way. You don’t run firmware for over a month with zero issues and then all of a sudden it has an issue.

honestly if it was just the blank screen I’d be like oh well let’s fix it. But it’s that and so much more. I don’t know how to get them to fix it. They understand what’s going on. They just want to blame it on firmware.

They are such a scummy company for how they are handling this.

Reactions: Barry

Firmware or (inadequately specced) eMMC, it is Tesla’s fault either way and they should make their owners whole.

But Elon is probably giggling like Beavis and Butt-Head at the word “hole” as he watches the stock price ratchet up.

There have to be a dozen things Tesla has been handling poorly by now. Here is what I can think of:
• eMMC/MCU1 problems
• 85 battery pack issues
• poor quality control at delivery
• broken suspension components
• 691* hp
• rocking chairs for seats
• self-extinguishing DRLs

Firmware or (inadequately specced) eMMC, it is Tesla’s fault either way and they should make their owners whole.

But Elon is probably giggling like Beavis and Butt-Head at the word “hole” as he watches the stock price ratchet up.

There have to be a dozen things Tesla has been handling poorly by now. Here is what I can think of:
• eMMC/MCU1 problems
• 85 battery pack issues
• poor quality control at delivery
• broken suspension components
• 691* hp
• rocking chairs for seats
• self-extinguishing DRLs

Control arm failure is scary af and everytime I turn my wheel when parking and here a sound I *sugar* myself

think about when the MCU1 was engineered/designed. (Circa 2011 chipset, if I recall).
think about the load/strain/demands on the MCU1 in 2012/2013 in the first Model S.
think about all of the updates/enhancements/fixes, AutoPilot additions/enhancements, etc, since then.
Now think about your home PC or even smartphone under those conditions....

Is anyone truly surprised that the processor/memory, etc from nearly a decade ago, is now becoming insufficient to keep up with the demands/loads associated with 2020/2021 computing needs for the cars?

This is by no means an excuse for Tesla..just thoughts to consider for all

think about when the MCU1 was engineered/designed. (Circa 2011 chipset, if I recall).
think about the load/strain/demands on the MCU1 in 2012/2013 in the first Model S.
think about all of the updates/enhancements/fixes, AutoPilot additions/enhancements, etc, since then.
Now think about your home PC or even smartphone under those conditions....

Is anyone truly surprised that the processor/memory, etc from nearly a decade ago, is now becoming insufficient to keep up with the demands/loads associated with 2020/2021 computing needs for the cars?

This is by no means an excuse for Tesla..just thoughts to consider for all

Emmc is a whole different issue. But you are right about the old tech. Although I will say it all went downhill with v9 when they forced the nav to be running constantly. MCU1 cannot handle it.

Maybe time to consider going third party for a chip replacement?

Given the captial war chest tesla has now after multiple additional share sales, they can easily address ALL the problems of the earlier cars for free for early customer if they want. Elon is just too much an a-hole to do it IMO. And to those who think it is not tesla's problem, I say tesla knowing release beta products and patch to neuter or disable features they beta test on early customer. Without those early adopters testing and dealing with service center to fix and such, tesla would never have made those corrections on their mass market model 3 saving them billions in servicing. The least they can do is actually fix the issues for those early adopters.

Maybe time to consider going third party for a chip replacement?
I’ve thought about going this route...but until June my car is still covered under the btb warranty so I feel like if it’s going to crap out they can pay to have it towed and then fixed. If I get to June with this same chip I’ll likely figure something else out. (Something else being plaid)