Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL You've captured our winter weather perfectly
I usually stop at Belleville ON and Cornwall ON in winter. Both cities on the Lake Ontario/StLawrence River waterway. Here's a nice warm winter photo from this area
1FF74D52-7A47-43E5-9847-09C21F771D76.jpeg

Nah....That's more of an Ottawa thing, although they have "Queues de Castor" in Montreal.
Montreal: Tortiere, Poutine, Montreal smoked meat from Schwartz's (beats the snot out of NY pastrami), and steamies

beavertails_-_beavertails_official_instagram.jpg
The first photo - of the frozen home - would be perfect for the remake of Dr. Zhivago.

And the Smoked Meats ? You bet - I made the trip there on a Saturday night on my last visit to Montreal pre-Covid.

My Emmc is a ticking time bomb right now. Last week I was driving home. During the day. On a two lane road with no shoulder. My MCU completely froze. Then went black. Then yellow then red. Then black. Then gray to the Tesla T. All of this took about 10 minutes to accomplish. In the mean time. My lights were in (was ok. During the day) my windshield wipers stopped working (despite being turned on full blast) and it was raining. I took pictures. Noted the time stamp and made service appt.

Tonight I started to back out of my parking stall. My mirrors all of a sudden went up to their normal position and the back up camera went black. (Here we got again)
I get into a spot where if I need a two it’ll be easy to access the front of the car and do a hard reboot. Everything wakes up. Yay. I start to drive. Same two lane road. Same area where there’s no shoulder. Screen goes black. My lights were on this time. Only
High beams despite the high beams off. I arrive home. Garage won’t open. I park in garage (mirrors do the same thing won’t go down for reverse. No back up camera. Just black)

no connectivity at all.

I charged to 90% just in case but really hoping they just replace the dang Emmc this time.

@Alysashley79, often when the eMMC is as close to failing as your is behaving, you will lose the ability to charge at home IF, you have scheduled charging turned on. Highly recommend until this is fixed that you turn off Scheduled charging and start charging manually.

Also to others. Turn off scheduled charging and PIN to Drive and Pin to open Glove Box until your issues are resolved. You can't unlock or select charging when/if your screen is black. We've seen this many times.

And I think you are doing a great job of documenting your incidents to get SC attention.

For everyone with an eMMC problem. (Squeaky wheel, people. Squeaky wheel gets the oil - er, the new eMMC board.) Do like Alysashley is doing. Take notes, and paste them into a work request asking for eMMC or MCU1 replacement. When the close the work order, (I would) open another with more details. Squeaky wheel.)

I have said before, I think they are treating these failing eMMCs as triage. I think they have a supply of daughterboard parts problem, so they are doing worse first, worse failing only. And stalling for others until they fail or get so bad they can justify doing it. Of course this could mean that someone's eMMC at the same SC is actually worse and needs it more, but we really don't know. (Squeaky wheel.)

Best of luck to all of you. I am certainly sorry all of you are having these problems. No one deserves them.

So many new people here are having difficulty getting Tesla SC to replace their daughter board. I believe (as I said above) there's a supply issue, a shortage of daughterboards for the repairs. But there also may be some people that are not able to get the exact explanation of what's happening to their car across to the SAs that are filtering and screening whose car is worse. Maybe a few people.

This thread is only 17 pages long. Go back to the beginning and read some of the posts. And There's a couple of other threads like this one. Tesla Confirms bla blah blah that is 340+ pages long. That's a lot of people explaining what's wrong with their cars. I encourage those of you waiting for a service appt, to read through these threads and get a better feel for the description of their problems that have already worked at getting a clear picture of the eMMC problem across to the SA's and got the SC's attention leading to an appt and repair. You get my meaning?

I was very specific when I made the appointment. I said I wanted a daughterboard or new mcu1 replaced as it’s a safety issue at this point. No wipers in the rain. (Have rainex thank goodness or if be ace Ventura out my freaking Tesla) and no lights or high beams only.

thank goodness if turned off scheduled charging this morning to warm my battery. I’d be hosed with 19% otherwise.

So many new people here are having difficulty getting Tesla SC to replace their daughter board. I believe (as I said above) there's a supply issue, a shortage of daughterboards for the repairs. But there also may be some people that are not able to get the exact explanation of what's happening to their car across to the SAs that are filtering and screening whose car is worse. Maybe a few people.

This thread is only 17 pages long. Go back to the beginning and read some of the posts. And There's a couple of other threads like this one. Tesla Confirms bla blah blah that is 340+ pages long. That's a lot of people explaining what's wrong with their cars. I encourage those of you waiting for a service appt, to read through these threads and get a better feel for the description of their problems that have already worked at getting a clear picture of the eMMC problem across to the SA's and got the SC's attention leading to an appt and repair. You get my meaning?
I think there is a worldwide chip shortage. Triage for the neediest cases.

Reactions: Akikiki
I think there is a worldwide chip shortage. Triage for the neediest cases.

while I agree with this post...it makes me wonder if it’s more of last quarter push to get new cars out the door and triage only the older ones that truly are dead/dying.

ive decided that my car will sit at service until they replace the daughterboard because it’s ridiculous. The more I drive my car right now the more I’m like is it going to get to where I’m going. And I know it’s the Emmc that’s causing all the issues. It would be nice if Tesla had some sort of backup for these issues. Such as just before it goes down to turn air on. Turn off music that may be blaring etc. I know. Pie in the sky.

Reactions: Barry and Akikiki
D
I got the “red screen of death” too. Wasn’t enough for the dirtbags. Turned me away. Said future update will fix it and they have been instructed to not replace any parts...
Did yours happen while driving or at startup? Honestly if it was at startup and needed to cycle through things I mean inconvenient ya. For me all this happening while I’m driving is what I don’t like.

It would be nice if Tesla had some sort of backup for these issues. Such as just before it goes down to turn air on.

Current versions are supposed to go into a limited functionality mode when it detects the eMMC is near the end of its life. HVAC on auto, light on auto, screen displaying only the backup camera, etc. (I think it turns provides a way to bypass PIN to drive as well.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
@DMC-Orangeville yea I’m familiar with the charge gate but I can’t read through all the pages lol
Are battery fires that concerning they had to dumb it down?
Tesla has not admitted to anything about this, but it follows the reports of battery issues from both supercharging and home charging. I lost about 7% of my range overnight (430KM new, 420KM pre nerf, 390KM now), and supercharging is less than half speed. No regen issues (yet). Rarely 100% charge, occasional Supercharge, battery kept at 80-90%.....but I still got 'gated. My range had only decreased 3% since new, so I WAS ahead of the degradation scale of (approx) 1% per year. The range loss didn't really bother me, but the supercharging speed loss is a game changer. Enough for me to consider changing brands on my next upgrade (probably 2022).

Interesting aside - I've posted this several times in other threads - the first fire issue was in Toronto in 2015 or 2016, and it was blamed on the NEMA 14-50 at 40 amps. They recalled all of the UMC and 14-50 adapters (in Canada only) and sent out replacements at 32 amps. The US followed, by the introduction of the 14-50 adapter at 32 amps, a couple of years later. No recall in the USA.

They recalled all of the UMC and 14-50 adapters (in Canada only) and sent out replacements at 32 amps. The US followed, by the introduction of the 14-50 adapter at 32 amps, a couple of years later. No recall in the USA.

But they did recall them in the US as well: Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment Or do you think they needed a wider date range?

Also, they did recall all of the 6-50, 10-30, and 14-30 adapters and replace them in the US.

Tesla has not admitted to anything about this, but it follows the reports of battery issues from both supercharging and home charging. I lost about 7% of my range overnight (430KM new, 420KM pre nerf, 390KM now), and supercharging is less than half speed. No regen issues (yet). Rarely 100% charge, occasional Supercharge, battery kept at 80-90%.....but I still got 'gated. My range had only decreased 3% since new, so I WAS ahead of the degradation scale of (approx) 1% per year. The range loss didn't really bother me, but the supercharging speed loss is a game changer. Enough for me to consider changing brands on my next upgrade (probably 2022).

Interesting aside - I've posted this several times in other threads - the first fire issue was in Toronto in 2015 or 2016, and it was blamed on the NEMA 14-50 at 40 amps. They recalled all of the UMC and 14-50 adapters (in Canada only) and sent out replacements at 32 amps. The US followed, by the introduction of the 14-50 adapter at 32 amps, a couple of years later. No recall in the USA.
That's not a battery fire. That's a charger fire.
I think the first battery fire was in Japan.

Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
But they did recall them in the US as well: Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment Or do you think they needed a wider date range?

Also, they did recall all of the 6-50, 10-30, and 14-30 adapters and replace them in the US.
I think @DMC-Orangeville is referring to how with the recall in Canada, Tesla no longer offered any adapters that could charge above 32 amps. The replacement 14-50 adapter there was limited to 32 amps even though the previous adapters could charge at up to 40 amps. In the US recall, they replaced many UMC adapters but still offered 40 amp charging with the gen 1 14-50 UMC adapter. Our four Teslas purchased June 2016 - December 2017 all came with 40 amp 14-50 adapters.

I think @DMC-Orangeville is referring to how with the recall in Canada, Tesla no longer offered any adapters that could charge above 32 amps. The 14-50 adapter there was limited to 32 amps even though it previously could charge at up to 40 amps. In the US recall, they replaced many UMC adapters but still offered 40 amp charging with the gen 1 14-50 UMC adapter. Our four Teslas purchased June 2016 - December 2017 all came with 40 amp 14-50 adapters.
Correct.
Tesla sent me a brand new 14-50 adapter, limited to 32 amps, and a brand new UMC. The New UMC wouldn't accept the old 40 amp 14-50 adapter (so it was said in various threads). They included a UPS label to send back the old units. Some people actually did send them back;). I chucked my 14-50 adapter, but my old UMC is permanently plugged into 120 volt in a secondary charging location.

Also - for about a year, the Service Centres would always check your UMC kit, when your car was in. They'd replace any of the any old 40 amp versions of the 14-50 adapter with a new 32 amp. They were easily identifiable, as the rear inserts were a different colour.

There was a black market to get the US version, in Canada, of the 14-50 adapter for about a year. The Supercharger network was very small, and a lot of the in-between areas were filled in by campgrounds with 14-50 stations. the 32 amp adapter was not well received by the folks using these stations.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I was very specific when I made the appointment. I said I wanted a daughterboard or new mcu1 replaced as it’s a safety issue at this point. No wipers in the rain. (Have rainex thank goodness or if be ace Ventura out my freaking Tesla) and no lights or high beams only.

thank goodness if turned off scheduled charging this morning to warm my battery. I’d be hosed with 19% otherwise.

Yes, I think you are doing a very good job of explaining your issues to your SC's SA. But sometimes that person is not sensitive to hearing what your issue is. I'd keep plugging away. and maybe hope I can talk to a different SA.

But the eMMC/daughterboard or remanuf MCU1 just gets it back to working. Its not an improvement.

If you were willing to even pay for the more costly remanuf MCU1, I say from experience the MCU2 Upgrade is merely wonderful. Erases all these ongoing MCU1 issues. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: mspohr