Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car back from service yesterday, and they did in fact replace the Tegra board.

On the invoice, under "correction", it says: "Determine Eligibility, Replace VCM Through Warranty Adjustment Program (Model S)" I'm just days away from the expiration of the warranty adjustment, so that's a relief!

Reactions: aesculus
Just got my car back from service yesterday, and they did in fact replace the Tegra board.

On the invoice, under "correction", it says: "Determine Eligibility, Replace VCM Through Warranty Adjustment Program (Model S)" I'm just days away from the expiration of the warranty adjustment, so that's a relief!

Some questions...

Was your screen completely dead?

How long did it take to do all the work?

Which SvC, and would you recommend them?

Some questions...

Was your screen completely dead?

How long did it take to do all the work?

Which SvC, and would you recommend them?

I should have linked to the back story:

Tesla Covering MCU1 Issues!!
Tesla Covering MCU1 Issues!!

But to summarize, it was just a message on the screen, but the MCU had gone blank earlier in 2020, and the service center brought it back to life. I scheduled service, they ordered the part and cancelled the appointment. When the part arrived, I had to schedule a new appointment. My car was at the service center for a whole work week, but they also did an annual service, replaced the front brakes (which was a surprise) and investigated some other concerns I had, so I don't know how much time it took them for just the Tegra board.

This was the Miramar service center in San Diego. I think they're all right. My service advisor, Anton, is good. I feel like he's looking out for me!

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TimT and aerodyne
According to NHSTA the MCU1 is part of a safety issue and I think will be repaired free of charge, even if warranty expire. So don't spend $2500 to "upgrade" it. They might reimbursed but because they sell it as an upgrade they might not. Honda offer free airbag repair for some model date back to 2001. No time limit for safety recalls.

According to NHSTA the MCU1 is part of a safety issue and I think will be repaired free of charge, even if warranty expire. So don't spend $2500 to "upgrade" it. They might reimbursed but because they sell it as an upgrade they might not. Honda offer free airbag repair for some model date back to 2001. No time limit for safety recalls.

It is $1500 to upgrade to MCU2. Things change quickly in Tesla-land.

I don't get why people call it an upgrade. You lose your radio .

Don't care; don't ever use it.

I don't get why people call it an upgrade.......and your backup camera becomes useless.

Some have claimed this, others have said it is not a big difference. This video shows the backup camera on both; looks a little darker with the MCU2, but we'll never know if the same amount of light coming through the window is the same before and after.

But it is an upgrade if we have to stop spending money on it in order for it to function properly. I am just concerned more bits in the MCU1 will start crapping out.

For AP1 crowd ...MCU2 doesn’t make sense....just for games and Netflix...u can’t do any of that while driving...even surfer the net...

wait for recall and upgrade to LTE

That was my thoughts as well, up until about a month ago, but if this becomes frequent "upgrading" might be the right thing to do. Tesla might recall the tegra board, but the whole MCU1 will never be recalled. (imo)

That was my thoughts as well, up until about a month ago, but if this becomes frequent "upgrading" might be the right thing to do. Tesla might recall the tegra board, but the whole MCU1 will never be recalled. (imo)

What's in balance there is if they can replace all the affected tegra boards with whatever resource they have available to them. It doesn't take too many "NLA" parts to make "replace the tegra board" a non-starter if you need to do all of them.

Here is a picture of an MCU with the chips nicely labeled:
https://www.pentestpartners.com/content/uploads/2018/01/trw-one-18.png

These are all just from me doing 30 seconds of googling after squinting at his picture; I am probably wrong about all of this and have no unique insight or contacts beyond having worked at a place 10 years ago that had to support complex low volume but very high cost boards for a fancy internet router. (I did computer stuff for them not any EE / engineering, so I *really* don't know what I'm talking about)

https://www.ti.com/product/DS90UR910-Q1 for the camera video processor -- TI says they've only got 40,000 available. No hint as to if they can/will make more;
https://www.ti.com/product/TPS659119-Q1 for the power management for the board -- that one has 6000 listed as available, and no hints as to if they can / will make more (or if there's a newer part that does what that one does in a 100% compatible way)
https://www.ti.com/product/SN74AVC4T245-Q1 for the dual supply bus transceiver; that one looks like they don't have many left anywhere but maybe it has a newer part that's substantially the same thing (as may be the case for all these glue chips)...

Maybe they've got alternate parts available, or otherwise can do substitutions, but the further from "the thing we made 5 years ago" the more engineering and qualifying and bugs and expense creep into the task.

Last edited:
This.

It's unreasonable to demand a full upgrade for free to an entire system to fix a specific part.

I'm sure everyone would be totally happy to just have their 2018 functionality restored. Or even their 2016 functionality restored. That's hardly an upgrade.

Tesla's painted themselves into a corner by not maintaining backwards compatibility with their newer revs of their parts. A an MCU2 with an ethernet port for the IC, an analog radio port, and a software lock to prevent moon unit buggie and fartspray 2.0 would be fine. Heck, put sleeps in so it is slow and disable the browser 80% of the time so the old timers don't freak out at the thing being too fast.

I'd just like to have the thing turn on when I get in the car, show me when my blinkers are blinkering (or *if* they're blinkering), and maybe even show me the 6 year old playing "chase the toy" behind me when I'm backing up....

Dumb question: Does Tesla actually push non-executable code blobs to MCU1? Does my 2020.48.12.1 software image actually have stuff like Beach Buggy Racing that it has no capability of running?

If so, that contributes quite a bit to eMMC wear, by shrinking the available writable space.

Reactions: aerodyne
Dumb question: Does Tesla actually push non-executable code blobs to MCU1? Does my 2020.48.12.1 software image actually have stuff like Beach Buggy Racing that it has no capability of running?

If so, that contributes quite a bit to eMMC wear, by shrinking the available writable space.

I might be wrong. But i remember seeing something on greens twitter about mcu1 code just being mcu2 code executed as "except mcu1"

I might be wrong. But i remember seeing something on greens twitter about mcu1 code just being mcu2 code executed as "except mcu1"

I had a chance to play with some of these games in a loaner; it looks like you download the game (when on wifi) the first time you ask to play it, so no it doesn't seem like you're going to be stuffing an MCU1 full of beach buggy zombie or lorenzo fart spray or moonshine space shot every time they ship a new MCU firmware.

• Helpful
Reactions: mspohr
I dealt with the eMMC issues in both our cars until the point that my wife would call me on the road to the beach with blank screen every 15 minutes... freaking out... paid for the retrofit and now they are denying both our claims one for the 2014 and the other for her 2016.

Does anyone have a link to the Class Action Lawsuit for this?

I am also pissed right now, just got from a trip and discovered a leaking rear air strut, car was completely compressed down on the rear strut with the tire hitting the body of the car - started it up, the air compressor for the air suspension ran for 5 seconds and it leveled out, and found it squatting again 2 hours later on same rear strut, add a recently replaced passenger door that makes a really weird sound like something is rubbing against the window, when you lower the window... like a flap or something has come off the door handle that they just replaced.. I suspect they didn't put the dust cover back on the door handle right and now it is causing the window to bind up on something inside the door. ARRRGGGHHH, funny when they replaced my wife's door handle the same tech did the same thing on her car and had to come back out a 2nd time to fix it..

I could look the other way when Tesla was paying for this under warranty, but I am paying them for the door handle repair and they F'ed it up, which means another service call. The customer service has gone to hell, I'm and original Model S owner from late 2012, owned 3 S's... I am appalled by the "customer service"... we went from awesome to FU in 9 years. I bet it gets even better when Virginia legalizes weed.... Idiocracy - its not just movie any more.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne and gmo43