Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The customer service has gone to hell, I'm and original Model S owner from late 2012, owned 3 S's... I am appalled by the "customer service"... we went from awesome to FU in 9 years
It is so depressing to see what they've transformed into, we blame Elon but is it him? Is he too busy playing with spaceships and crypto currency to see that someone is doing a really bad job now?
FYI I had a sinking strut as well, Tesla replaced it under warranty same day (back before the Model 3 onslaught came and service was good).

Reactions: Missile Toad
I dealt with the eMMC issues in both our cars until the point that my wife would call me on the road to the beach with blank screen every 15 minutes... freaking out... paid for the retrofit and now they are denying both our claims one for the 2014 and the other for her 2016.

Does anyone have a link to the Class Action Lawsuit for this?

I am also pissed right now, just got from a trip and discovered a leaking rear air strut, car was completely compressed down on the rear strut with the tire hitting the body of the car - started it up, the air compressor for the air suspension ran for 5 seconds and it leveled out, and found it squatting again 2 hours later on same rear strut, add a recently replaced passenger door that makes a really weird sound like something is rubbing against the window, when you lower the window... like a flap or something has come off the door handle that they just replaced.. I suspect they didn't put the dust cover back on the door handle right and now it is causing the window to bind up on something inside the door. ARRRGGGHHH, funny when they replaced my wife's door handle the same tech did the same thing on her car and had to come back out a 2nd time to fix it..

I could look the other way when Tesla was paying for this under warranty, but I am paying them for the door handle repair and they F'ed it up, which means another service call. The customer service has gone to hell, I'm and original Model S owner from late 2012, owned 3 S's... I am appalled by the "customer service"... we went from awesome to FU in 9 years. I bet it gets even better when Virginia legalizes weed.... Idiocracy - its not just movie any more.
I think you should file a complaint with the NHTSA, first. They're not living up to the recall terms that they agreed to!

Reactions: gmo43 and Barry
I dealt with the eMMC issues in both our cars until the point that my wife would call me on the road to the beach with blank screen every 15 minutes... freaking out... paid for the retrofit and now they are denying both our claims one for the 2014 and the other for her 2016.

I am also pissed right now, just got from a trip and discovered a leaking rear air strut, car was completely compressed down on the rear strut with the tire hitting the body of the car - started it up, the air compressor for the air suspension ran for 5 seconds and it leveled out, and found it squatting again 2 hours later on same rear strut, add a recently replaced passenger door that makes a really weird sound like something is rubbing against the window, when you lower the window... like a flap or something has come off the door handle that they just replaced.. I suspect they didn't put the dust cover back on the door handle right and now it is causing the window to bind up on something inside the door. ARRRGGGHHH, funny when they replaced my wife's door handle the same tech did the same thing on her car and had to come back out a 2nd time to fix it..

I could look the other way when Tesla was paying for this under warranty, but I am paying them for the door handle repair and they F'ed it up, which means another service call. The customer service has gone to hell, I'm and original Model S owner from late 2012, owned 3 S's... I am appalled by the "customer service"... we went from awesome to FU in 9 years. I bet it gets even better when Virginia legalizes weed.... Idiocracy - its not just movie any more.
Here in SoCal, weed is legal. Funny, about same time as service here took a dump..

• Funny
Reactions: gmo43 and KalJoMoS

Tesla just denied my MCU replacement claim, because I changed it out myself, or probably because they could and "every penny counts" as per Elon's plea for profitability. I could sue and win, just like I could have done for the P85D 691hp (people who sued in Europe got a settlement), but you know what, I really got better things to do with my time. I have sued people and companies in the past and have to tell you, it takes a lot of time, money, and emotional drain. Instead, I stopped buying more Teslas, and share with people my experience with Tesla (I still have some Tesla branded shirts which I wear when I go out to have fun, causing people to ask about it, so I share). Me not buying Tesla's has costed Tesla probably 2 Model S in sales just from me. It has costed them 2-4 Model 3 or Y from my immediate family who after hearing about my experiences are now looking elsewhere (yes, sadly 2 of them already bought an ICE because they needed a new car and didn't want to wait for a good EV alternative)., and likely a few more from strangers I met who asked about my Tesla. experiences. I can't wait until I replace both my Teslas with an alternative, at which point I will stop checking this forum too (required right now since Tesla doesn't communicate to customers, so all the recalls and news have to come from here).

Tesla just denied my MCU replacement claim, because I changed it out myself, or probably because they could and "every penny counts" as per Elon's plea for profitability. I could sue and win, just like I could have done for the P85D 691hp (people who sued in Europe got a settlement), but you know what, I really got better things to do with my time. I have sued people and companies in the past and have to tell you, it takes a lot of time, money, and emotional drain. Instead, I stopped buying more Teslas, and share with people my experience with Tesla (I still have some Tesla branded shirts which I wear when I go out to have fun, causing people to ask about it, so I share). Me not buying Tesla's has costed Tesla probably 2 Model S in sales just from me. It has costed them 2-4 Model 3 or Y from my immediate family who after hearing about my experiences are now looking elsewhere (yes, sadly 2 of them already bought an ICE because they needed a new car and didn't want to wait for a good EV alternative)., and likely a few more from strangers I met who asked about my Tesla. experiences. I can't wait until I replace both my Teslas with an alternative, at which point I will stop checking this forum too (required right now since Tesla doesn't communicate to customers, so all the recalls and news have to come from here).
Yup best way to stick it to tesla is to discourage people from buying. I use to be a fan, but slowly but surely I have been converted. Got my family and friend to go with other EVs. I told them about my many minor problems and the looming battery problem which will cost them dearly once the car is out of warranty. Tesla is a nice car, but once the warranty is out, then it is not worth the trouble and cost and usually this is enough to turn people off. My family and friends usually keep their cars for decades.

Reactions: aerodyne and Barry
It is so depressing to see what they've transformed into, we blame Elon but is it him? Is he too busy playing with spaceships and crypto currency to see that someone is doing a really bad job now?
FYI I had a sinking strut as well, Tesla replaced it under warranty same day (back before the Model 3 onslaught came and service was good).

Yes blame Elon. Didn't he personally name himself the new head of service

Yup best way to stick it to tesla is to discourage people from buying. I use to be a fan, but slowly but surely I have been converted. Got my family and friend to go with other EVs. I told them about my many minor problems and the looming battery problem which will cost them dearly once the car is out of warranty. Tesla is a nice car, but once the warranty is out, then it is not worth the trouble and cost and usually this is enough to turn people off. My family and friends usually keep their cars for decades.
Will be interesting to see how other EVs hold up over a decade old.

So far I’m still very pleased with my Jan 2017 S with 58k miles. Even my MCU1 still works sufficiently. But I am getting MCU 2...just waiting for parts. Not getting any discount for the repair but that’s okay with me since I want to upgrade to MCU2 anyway and don’t care to wait for a potential issue.

Last edited:
I agree. In my first year of ownership (2015), I referred 5 others (real referrals, not a spammed referral code) to Tesla. Now I tell people who ask about the car, "It's great when everything is working, but their customer service is the worst I've ever experienced, including Comcast." I will be looking elsewhere for my next car.

And I do think it is Musk. He's a micromanaging control freak. He's great at start-ups, but sucks at running a maturing company.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne
Was this via the official reimbursement method? Did they email or call or let you know via the app? I haven't heard anything yet from my request.

I agree. In my first year of ownership (2015), I referred 5 others (real referrals, not a spammed referral code) to Tesla. Now I tell people who ask about the car, "It's great when everything is working, but their customer service is the worst I've ever experienced, including Comcast." I will be looking elsewhere for my next car.

And I do think it is Musk. He's a micromanaging control freak. He's great at start-ups, but sucks at running a maturing company.

I think when he took over service after john left he got to see how much money you can save by cheaping out on service

Glad to hear there is an ex fanboy(man) like me. I too have bought an ICE and I aint looking back. Hoping Rivian gives me good money for my S haha jk

Was this via the official reimbursement method? Did they email or call or let you know via the app? I haven't heard anything yet from my request.
Got an automated email asking for more information, I sent them more info including pictures of the before and after MCU board. Nothing for 2 weeks, I send a follow up query and got an automated denial via email.
1618897438508.png

Glad to hear there is an ex fanboy(man) like me. I too have bought an ICE and I aint looking back. Hoping Rivian gives me good money for my S haha jk
I'm about to pay another grand in registration/tabs on my 2015 Model S, waiting for eTron GT RS, but small possibility if I find a good ICE to buy instead before May 15th, I just might. The one thing Tesla has accomplished is raise my car budget - $160K can buy a very nice ICE car, so I'm tentatively looking. Taycan Turismo is also a possibility, 2nd choice to eTron GT.

Reactions: gmo43
Will be interesting to see how other EVs hold up over a decade old.

So far I’m still very pleased with my Jan 2017 S with 58k miles. Even my MCU1 still works sufficiently. But I am getting MCU 2...just waiting for parts. Not getting any discount for the repair but that’s okay with me since I want to upgrade to MCU2 anyway and don’t care to wait for a potential issue.
True. I'm not saying the other EVs are any better, but the repairs might be easier to access than tesla where everything is locked down and designed to be replaced vs repaired. And as others have said the CS service is terrible or non existent. Again not saying others are better but they are now worst than others hence why I stop recommending teslas. In the old days tesla was customer satisfaction driven, now they are quarterly positive profit driven.

Reactions: freeewilly
True. I'm not saying the other EVs are any better, but the repairs might be easier to access than tesla where everything is locked down and designed to be replaced vs repaired. And as others have said the CS service is terrible or non existent. Again not saying others are better but they are now worst than others hence why I stop recommending teslas. In the old days tesla was customer satisfaction driven, now they are quarterly positive profit driven.
“Might” be easier with others. Don’t yet know. Will be interesting to watch.

Other options for Tesla are slowly becoming available like Gruber Motors and Electrify America.