Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the MCU1 is essentially getting a 100K mile and 8yr warranty!

TL;DR - Warranty for MCU1 has been extended to 8years/100k miles instead of original 4years/50k miles.

Not exactly, only the eMMC failure is getting the extended warranty. Nothing else will be covered. For example the screen, LTE, WiFi, GPS, etc. (Other than the eMMC and bubbling/yellow screens the rest of the MCU seems to be fairly reliable.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Anyone had any luck getting their local to approve this?

Any luck on getting them to approve what? Repairing the failed MCU/eMMC? People have been having "luck" with that for a very long time.

But the FAQ specifically calls out that it is not a pro-active replacement and they don't want you scheduling a service appointment unless you are experiencing a failed MCU.

I'm so excited - just got an email indicating that the MCU1 is essentially getting a 100K mile and 8yr warranty!

Wording here:
Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

Well, This should be QUITE interesting. Had my MCU1 replaced in April due to complete failure (Blank Screen) this was out of warranty so cost me $2000, based on the info here (from Tesla) I should be reimbursed for this.
The replacement "remanufactured" MCU is now rebooting regularly and the steering wheel controls have failed again and were replaced at the end of last month. Service stated that they "Reflashed the FPGA due to errors" and the MCU is now "error free and working as designed". Except for the fact that it has just rebooted again this week and is sluggish to the point of un-useability for navigation, both of which are hallmarks of impending MCU failure (for the second time)

I see a number of scenarios playing out
1. Tesla denies any problem with the current MCU, after protracted "discussion" refunds my $2000 for the 1st replacement
2. Tesla Blames the first MCU failure on the car stereo system I had installed (happens EVERY SINGLE SERVICE!!!) and claims I am ineligible for the refund, AND denies any problem with the current MCU
3. Tesla says "our Bad" and offers an upgrade to MCU2 in lieu of refund for MCU1 replacement (Which I would gladly accept)

Based on past experience I'ma say scenario 2....

Reactions: dfndr90
I see a number of scenarios playing out
1. Tesla denies any problem with the current MCU, after protracted "discussion" refunds my $2000 for the 1st replacement
2. Tesla Blames the first MCU failure on the car stereo system I had installed (happens EVERY SINGLE SERVICE!!!) and claims I am ineligible for the refund, AND denies any problem with the current MCU
3. Tesla says "our Bad" and offers an upgrade to MCU2 in lieu of refund for MCU1 replacement (Which I would gladly accept)

Based on past experience I'ma say scenario 2....

Or more likely:

4. Tesla refunds your $2,000 for the prior repair and replaces the Tegra daughtercard with a new one when your MCU "fails" for free. (Assuming you are still in the 8-year/100k mile period.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
well....very interesting thing just happened
IMG_1564.jpeg
IMG_1564.jpeg .......I dont mean to burst anyones bubble here, but I reached out to the service center on the mcu daughterboard email, and inquired about when they could perform this. I received a message saying this......just for some context here. I have been experiencing random reboots, frozen maps, laggy spotify, laggy everything that I would characterize from my understanding of a eMMC chip that is definitely struggling due to whatever reason. So, that being said, not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but it doesnt look like Tesla is just going to happily replace these boards