Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I wonder for those of us that got a replaced MCU with 8gb --- which is likely to die again... Will we get the daughterboard replacement via recall/courtesy to fix this future issue? My 8 year/100k mile warranty is going to be done in 7 months and my MCU was replaced 9/2019.
My MCU was replaced in April 2019 and my warranty expired when I rolled over 100,000 in December 2019. I now am seeing behavior consistent with eMMC failure (saw it before). I am obviously past 100k, but will they replace the daughter are gratis?

I got a complete MCU/screen replacement back in March. Does that mean I got another 8GB chip?

Regarding your concern, the replacement is warrantied for 4 years (they cut it to 2 years a few months ago, though, but it only applies to installs after that date). So, assuming you got it done when it was still a 4 year warranty, you should be good for another almost 3 years if it fails again.
Hey Barry, Your answer, no. They started using the 64 GB chip in early May in the re-maufacturing process. It took until late May and early June before any of those MCUs made it out of supply channels and into SCs.

Hey Barry, Your answer, no. They started using the 64 GB chip in early May in the re-maufacturing process. It took until late May and early June before any of those MCUs made it out of supply channels and into SCs.
You stalking me, akikiki? :)

Seriously, thanks for the info. That's what I suspected. I had the replacement done when the warranty on the replacement was 4 years. So I'm covered until I get a new (non-Tesla) car.

Reactions: Akikiki
Doesn’t the MCU have its own 2-year warranty? If so, you’re probably fine.
@tpedwards, I am helping @namikun, with his question and it jogged my memory. @namikun, until Mid-June 2020, the warranty on a replaced MCU1 was 4 years and unlimited mileage. You will need your receipt to prove when, and you will likely have to argue with Tesla. But some of us can help you if you need it. We can find some web pages or the language used in the parts warranty to help you defend.

Maybe your SC will remember the warranty was 4 years at the time. I know if it was looking/behaving bad right now, and might need work, I would swing by my SC and have a chat to refresh their memory about the 4 year warranty. Give them a chance to go back and look up policy at the time and get something in writing if they remember. You don't want to be standing at the service door needing it that day and have to start the argument to get it fixed for free. Right?

• Informative
Reactions: namikun
@tpedwards, I am helping @namikun, with his question and it jogged my memory. @namikun, until Mid-June 2020, the warranty on a replaced MCU1 was 4 years and unlimited mileage. You will need your receipt to prove when, and you will likely have to argue with Tesla. But some of us can help you if you need it. We can find some web pages or the language used in the parts warranty to help you defend.

Maybe your SC will remember the warranty was 4 years at the time. I know if it was looking/behaving bad right now, and might need work, I would swing by my SC and have a chat to refresh their memory about the 4 year warranty. Give them a chance to go back and look up policy at the time and get something in writing if they remember. You don't want to be standing at the service door needing it that day and have to start the argument to get it fixed for free. Right?
As I understand it, however, the 2- or 4-year warranty on the replacement MCU only applies if it was replaced OUT of warranty. My MCU that was replaced in April 2019 was replaced IN warranty (with another defect-prone eMMC chip). I rolled over 100,000 miles in December 2019 ending my used car warranty AND the MCU extended warranty.

Those of us who had already experienced this failure mode of the MCU will likely not get covered.

Yes, wait until it’s completely failed, leaving you stranded somewhere. Very nice, Tesla.

"Other issues affecting MCU performance" = My guess is that they want to wipe your cache files or satellite map tiles much like how on a computer you delete all the temp files to "speed it up".:confused:

I wonder what would happen if you sat in your car in the garage on wifi and played with the maps for a hour or so (downloading map tiles all over the earth over and over) while streaming music, or rebooted your computer 20 times in a row (because you kept having graphical glitches each time it came up?). Probably would take a while but it would be a shame if your computer didnt come back up after doing all that and you needed to get it replaced under the new warranty.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Wshowell