Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Horrible
Just dropped my car off and they are saying they remotely diagnosed it and I don't need it replaced. I simply need it to get reflashed. OK Tesla really believe you on that one. Can't wait till the recall kicks in

Hope the recall costs them a lot. Hope the stock drops. No sympathy. Treating owners like we are stupid

I got mine replaced under the updated warranty. Dropped it off last Wednesday morning and picked it up Thursday morning. They initially told me they don't have the Targa in stock even though I received email notifications that they ordered and received it and they can service the car. I could have gotten it the same day but they had to update the firmware which took overnight.

Overall it was pretty smooth and digging the updated eMMC. Screen is faster and so far no hiccups.

We've seen before where if you pay for the Tegra board yourself, they have replaced it. Might even do a combined labor charge if you want to do LTE at the same time. I can vouch that someone has done it. But I will let him speak up if he choose too.

Still having MCU issues with no love from the service center. Been turned away twice for the repair. Friday I was in camping mode waiting for my kid to finish sports practice. “Started” the car and started driving but the MCU stayed in camping mode the entire drive home. Touch screen was not responsive. I did check that the Headlights did turn on and the turn signals functioned. No backup camera, or other MCU controls. Did an extra long scroll wheel and brake pedal reset after I arrived at home and it started to functioning again.

on Saturday almost the exact same thing happened but I was in sketch pad. Sketch pad remained on the screen and I could draw on it while driving. Again only went back to normal after I stopped and did the long brake pedal + scroll wheels reset.

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
I have to say I finally unplugged my USB, and my MCU1 (fsd3.0) is working better now. It used to take 2 to 4 seconds for reverse camera to come up, now it’s in real time. this is true for most other functions as well. Feels weirdly naked now driving around without dash cam or sentry mode, but the MCU lag was making me nuts.

i’ll have to leave it like this until I eventually upgrade to an MCU2

So, Tesla remotely looked at logs and the SC manager gave me a canned response.

"I had engineer support review all time stamps and car logs. They have confirmed a strain on CPU and Memory usage on Tegra platforms.
This is a known issue and currently under investigation. Concern will be corrected with an upcoming firmware release. No additional labor recommended at this time."

So basically a non-answer/punted. I wonder if I'll get any further upgrades beyond 36.11.

Really annoying is why they kept claiming the TeslaCam drive was causing this. Need a *rollseye*.

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
So, Tesla remotely looked at logs and the SC manager gave me a canned response.

"I had engineer support review all time stamps and car logs. They have confirmed a strain on CPU and Memory usage on Tegra platforms.
This is a known issue and currently under investigation. Concern will be corrected with an upcoming firmware release. No additional labor recommended at this time."

So basically a non-answer/punted. I wonder if I'll get any further upgrades beyond 36.11.

Really annoying is why they kept claiming the TeslaCam drive was causing this. Need a *rollseye*.

Bahaha. They've been investigating this for two years

NHTSA is not taking long. This is normal process. Our urgent is not their urgent. That's just the way it is. Also, there's no clams that MCU/eMMC issues have imperiled any lives.

I think Tesla has done enough totechnically avoid a recall, while maintaining the cheap nature they do with issues like this.

Offered warranty, but only if its full blown dead even though they know it will die.

Automatically put backup cam on the MCU when it dies. This step was done to avoid the recall

Texted Tesla back stating the problem was still there and gave them the exact times it happened. I received a call saying that they will order the daughterboard just in case but the engineers are going to look at the logs remotely. This back and forth is going to cost them more money versus them just replacing it to begin with. I mean they already had to go open my car up to "reflash". Makes no sense