Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooner or later everyone will feel like this. Welcome to the club. Been dealing with tesla for a while now. Joke of a company. Too bad it hasn't caught up.
Agreed used to me phenomenal but since the Model 3, they just cant handle the surge. Stopped caring about their customers and decided to take that approach instead of trying to make things better.

Just got back from picking up my car. They did a reflash. Guess what? Problem still there screen blanked out a few times

I found out today they (Agora Hills SvC) were planning on doing this to me at my appt that has been pushed out 4 times in 8 weeks because the part was delayed. I wonder if they even ordered the part!

At least I saved a trip.

They say my chip is fine and then declined to push out a .40 update with the warning.

If this keeps up, getting a one wheel and an ipad, and making my own EV.

I found out today they (Agora Hills SvC) were planning on doing this to me at my appt that has been pushed out 4 times in 8 weeks because the part was delayed. I wonder if they even ordered the part!

At least I saved a trip.

They say my chip is fine and then declined to push out a .40 update with the warning.

If this keeps up, getting a one wheel and an ipad, and making my own EV.
They don't, because I've gotten the update of yes diagnosis confirm blah blah needs replacement and has been ordered. When I stated they had told me they had ordered they said something went wrong when they order it. Twice in my experience.

They don't, because I've gotten the update of yes diagnosis confirm blah blah needs replacement and has been ordered. When I stated they had told me they had ordered they said something went wrong when they order it. Twice in my experience.

That's almost hard to believe, except I can now..I'd like to see the fanboys defend this behavior.

All I can say for now is I hope our experience is not typical.

And I wasn't kidding about the One Wheel. Ordered the Pint last night. Tess will stay in the faraday cage as much as possible until Tesla fixes this...

Reactions: gmo43
I’m not a fanboy and does not want to defend this but assuming you are (@aerodyne) around LA, why can’t you choose another SeC for your long waited MCU fix? Would this give you a “second option”. For example I can choose between two (or three) but all of them are at least three hours drive away and also require ferry crossing. Longest crossing is eleven hours...

edit: I’m also on MCU1 and keeping an eye on any anomaly’s after getting in for a drive.

I’m not a fanboy and does not want to defend this but assuming you are (@aerodyne) around LA, why can’t you choose another SeC for your long waited MCU fix? Would this give you a “second option”. For example I can choose between two (or three) but all of them are at least three hours drive away and also require ferry crossing. Longest crossing is eleven hours...

edit: I’m also on MCU1 and keeping an eye on any anomaly’s after getting in for a drive.

I have been to 5 yes 5 local SvC in person. This seemed to be the best choice.

I don't think the failure to order the part is dependent on the SvC. Fish rots from the head.

Reactions: KalJoMoS and Barry
Agreed used to me phenomenal but since the Model 3, they just cant handle the surge. Stopped caring about their customers and decided to take that approach instead of trying to make things better.
The reality is they have no serious competition yet, they have a fanboi base as big as Apple does so they currently don't need to change their ways. But at some point this cult status will start to erode and Elon will make even more erratic decisions. I've done very well out of TSLA but I do feel like I'm holding onto a ticking time bomb that needs to be gone before I'm left with the mess.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I have a 2013 Model S with 90k miles. Center screen was working fine and then went completely black and dead last week.

Took it to the Portland, OR service center. They fixed it and the invoice says
"Replaced daughterboard.
Part
MSX MCU TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROV (64GB)"

Sounds like I got the good stuff, right? Has been working fine for the 2 days I have had it back.

I have a 2013 Model S with 90k miles. Center screen was working fine and then went completely black and dead last week.

Took it to the Portland, OR service center. They fixed it and the invoice says
"Replaced daughterboard.
Part
MSX MCU TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROV (64GB)"

Sounds like I got the good stuff, right? Has been working fine for the 2 days I have had it back.

Yes, it sounds like that is the right part from the nomenclature.

Plus, you have a warranty now for 10k miles and a year or two on it.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I know this is a warranty discussion, but thought it worth noting that I had my Tegra daughterboard replaced as a preventative maintenance measure this week for $313. For me its a price worth paying vs it playing on my mind that at any stage it will could fail.

does it work better? I think the potential is that perhaps there are lots of causes for hangs and crashes. Only some caused by eMMC failure.

Everything I've seen on here from people with emmc replacement is that the MCU performance is still poor (navigation, snappiness etc) but the black screens and reboots are gone
The feeling is that since Tesla did the full software rewrite that puts the navigation maps running in the background 100% of the time then things started to go badly for MCU1. I don't see many people complaining about poor performance on older software versions (pre 2018, so V8 and earlier).

V9 and later might run fine on MCU2 but MCU1 was never up for it and I'm thinking they decided they didn't want to try to maintain two software versions for different hardware, easier to fill the code with 'if (MCU1)' statements.

And then they tell you there is no way to roll back, the car nags daily to update if you don't, service gives you the cold shoulder if you have software glitches and you aren't on the latest version.....so yeah pretty much a no win situation for MCU1 owners.

Everything I've seen on here from people with emmc replacement is that the MCU performance is still poor (navigation, snappiness etc) but the black screens and reboots are gone

Yes, you are correct. it's like upgrading the RAM and storage (eMMC) in your computer but leaving the CPU (MCU Tegra) the same. I had my Tegra board replaced a few weeks ago but they had to do a full factory wipe. The MCU seemed about 10% faster but I would attribute that to the factory wipe rather than the daughter-board replacement. I actually had a freeze up incident where I needed to force reboot the MCU to get it to respond after the DB was replaced :( and to be honest the car has had a ton of little quirks ever since.

When I 1st got my car back from the DB replacement (This was resolved by Tesla Service, i think they wiped my car and reloaded the firmware):
  • When I first got the car back it wouldn't unlock with the phone app, I could honk the car, flash lights, but not unlock or open the trunk to sneak into the car. I had to use the 2nd key to unlock the door which had the 1st key inside.
This week after I got my car back this week from getting my Battery Heater replaced under warranty.
  • Front Passenger side window would not auto roll down down with the drivers control or the passenger control. It would go up and down, but wouldnt do the auto-up/down. Other 3 windows worked fine
  • Rear driver side door would not open the door much like the handle had broken. Other door handles worked fine.
  • Charging port would stay lit up when the UMC was plugged in when it was in my garage
  • Instrument Cluster stayed on when the car was parked(but main MCU screen went off normally).
These resolved after a MCU reboot but seemed super weird about the 1 window auto roll down not working.

I am REALLY leaning towards getting the Infotainment upgrade (MCU2) just to put all this slowness and weird issues behind me.

Brought my car in for servicing as I had horrible lag on the touchscreen and voice commands didn’t work

they indicated on the repair order two things
1) having a USB connected slows everything down and to remove it
2) they are aware and it will be fixed in software update , specifically here is the text

This is a known bug since 2020.32. There is a software resolution that will come in play in future firmware 2020.48. It will also aid the speed of the MCU. As it implies, using infotainment feature simultaneously will potentially slow down the MCU. In the meantime, scroll reset will restore functionality and speed.