Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty good chance they would. They probably make a higher margin on MCU upgrade even with a discount. Emmc was a repair option they had to develop after the impending NHTSA investigation started and is likely breakeven for them

My approach is to try to get Tesla to replace my chip. Basically that approach is not working so far.

Step two is buy 5 more shares of Tesla. done!

Step three, if my Chip really starts to degrade, have it replaced by third party.

If that does not work out well, get the MCU2 upgrade. Hopefully, the gain in TSLA will pay for it.

Pretty good chance they would. They probably make a higher margin on MCU upgrade even with a discount. Emmc was a repair option they had to develop after the impending NHTSA investigation started and is likely breakeven for them

Do you have warranty left on your MCU1? If yes, how many months left? Have you already got the message on screen to get the appointment scheduled for eMMC fix?

I have 10 months warranty left + I got a message on screen last week that the storage has degraded and to get the appointment scheduled to it fixed. I'm not sure how long before the screen goes blank, so I'm not sure if I should wait on the NHTSA pressure to build up to offer discounts on MCU2 upgrades.

Screenshot-20201212-122425-Adobe-Acrobat.jpg

Took my 2017 Model S in for EMMC service. I told them I have video of the MCU freezing and rebooting. I also submitted bug reports after the reboot. They didn't even want to see the video. After running diagnosis I was told there was nothing wrong with the EMMC. The remedy was flashing the FPGA.

In a text message they also stated Tesla Engineers are working hard on releasing a new firmware that can resolve these issues.

For the folks that have not interacted with Tesla Service this is a standard lie they put out... I have at least a dozen issues where they have said this over my 6 years of ownership, NONE have been resolved via firmware updates. Including the replacement MCU whch is now also failing. FPGA reflash does NOTHING to fix a failing MCU. your best best is to record video of the incredibly laggy screen, and log every reboot in a note and also use the report function if your voice commands still work. Mine failed long ago and they said....wait for it...

"Tesla Engineers are working hard on releasing a new firmware that can resolve these issues"
upgrade.jpg

Twice in 3 days I have come out to my car (once when supercharging, once in the driveway when unloading back from a trip) and found the center screen to be blank. Instrument cluster worked (but was showing passenger airbag status which is not typical).

Audio was still working (but choppy). Touching the lower right corner would reduce/increase the volume.

At the supercharger - Rebooting it once and the audio didn't work. (took 5-10 minutes to reboot). S second reboot and it worked (although slowly).

I haven't rebooted again, leaving the center screen blank for now.

It also says waiting firmware download, but that message showed up immediately after installing new firmware.

Is this anything that anyone has observed?

It's been "cleared" by service twice in the past. Once for ~$125 (I had requested the daughter board replaced on my dime but they said this saved me money), one other time "extra files" were cleared for free.

Suggest you check the email with the order. If it says "Ship date: Pending" you might be in for a wait. 9 weeks for me.

They might not replace the board even if it is in stock. I scheduled with the clear intent of paying for it but they indicated they would not replace it unless it was unresponsive.

The email they sent today says pending. (The first email didn't have a ship date field.) Anyway, my expectation is that it will be covered as if I'm within the 8-year warranty period, because I reported it within that period.

Thanks Akikiki. I found this on the FAQ page - So I guess it's going to be simply around $50 for the eMMC card and $100 labor, probably $250 max reimbursement. Any thoughts?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I opted to purchase the Infotainment Upgrade, will I receive reimbursement from Tesla? 

If you paid for Tesla’s Infotainment Upgrade after Tesla Service diagnosed that your vehicle’s eMMC was malfunctioning due to accumulated wear, you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade.

More information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursements will be available by or before February 2021.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asked my SC about this FAQ, here's the response.

"Reimbursement eligibility will not be discussed until 02.21, please keep in mind we are unsure of reimbursement until then. If you decide to move forward with MCU2 upgrade instead of getting eMMC fixed under warranty adjustment program it will be with the disclaimer you may not receive any reimbursement"

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Trying to negotiate with SvC in Nashville regarding repairing my failing eMMC (2017 P100D) vs. the MCU2 upgrade. No discount. I asked them to do the MCU1 eMMC warranty repair followed by the MCU2 upgrade w/ SXM ($3000) and they want an extra $750 as a "core charge" to give me the MCU1 unit back. Frustrating.

Trying to negotiate with SvC in Nashville regarding repairing my failing eMMC (2017 P100D) vs. the MCU2 upgrade. No discount. I asked them to do the MCU1 eMMC warranty repair followed by the MCU2 upgrade w/ SXM ($3000) and they want an extra $750 as a "core charge" to give me the MCU1 unit back. Frustrating.
Sounds like you would need two different visits then :)

Perfectly normal. Frustrating that you a frustrated. :)

JUST got my 1st email notification last night (3am) about the eMMC warranty adjustment period.
Still states "8 years/100k miles" but they already replaced mine for free at 113,000 miles last month.
Tesla is not perfect and not all mistakes are nefarious. I am still REALLY enjoying 2014 Tesla!
What other company will come to your driveway and repair your car for $250??