Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CPO question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I called Tesla regarding a CPO S I was interested in. I asked if I put the 2500 down prior to seeing pictures, if I could get a refund if it had damage in thr photos. She could not answer and forwared my info to their used car department...

Anyone know? Sucks to have to put down $2500 on a used car sight unseen if it is not refundable!

I think the deposit is non-refundable but can be applied to a different car if you decline that car. At least that's the way it used to be.

If that's still the case, I would love to know how many times/how long once can decline/defer and keep that deposit "alive". Anyone knows?

The CPO's are sold via a Dutch auction, prices reducing usually daily. A buyer should request photo's when the car first comes into the auction and perhaps then have a potential car inspected. Then you wait until the car hits your price point and put a deposit on. Putting a deposit on prior to seeing photo's/having the vehicle inspected is nuts.....

Reactions: b team
The CPO's are sold via a Dutch auction, prices reducing usually daily. A buyer should request photo's when the car first comes into the auction and perhaps then have a potential car inspected. Then you wait until the car hits your price point and put a deposit on. Putting a deposit on prior to seeing photo's/having the vehicle inspected is nuts.....
Problem is some cars are only on there for hours! Dont have days... Hell I have requested info 2 months ago on cars and still havent heard from Tesla!!!

I honestly wonder how the hell they are in business with so shitty of presale customer service.

CPO use to be really awesome. Back then, they took their time and actually cleaned up the interior and made sure you got the best version of that car possible. I remember picking mine up, and notice some paint issues and they sent it back and gave me a new P100D loaner for 3 weeks. My brother recently got a P85D and it didn't look like what I got a year prior, it looked like a car they came off, "Uncle Joe's Used Car lot."

• Funny
Reactions: Alset4S and P85_DA
I thought the deposit for CPO was $1000?

And yeah - if they present you with a pile of crap on wheels you can get your money back. They can either do the right thing and give it to you or you can file a dispute with your CC company.

Honestly, it’s pretty clear they do not want to have a CPO program. If I were you I would buy from a private party or used car dealer.

First time poster, so why not share the same frustration as others.. I am currently in the market for a CPO, and have also found it difficult to actually get pictures, and some locations give detailed examples, and others they do not disclose damage. What I found out, is even if you call they just send your info to the regional cpo sales rep.. (I.E. for me it is Kyle out of Fremont area) So once you have the first set just email him/her by reply to the first message directly and ask for the next Vin... It is crazy how slow the process is. I also understand that they will refund your money if at delivery time it is not as described, and you cannot find another car to your liking... Enjoy the frustration

I thought the deposit for CPO was $1000?

And yeah - if they present you with a pile of crap on wheels you can get your money back. They can either do the right thing and give it to you or you can file a dispute with your CC company.

Honestly, it’s pretty clear they do not want to have a CPO program. If I were you I would buy from a private party or used car dealer.

They made it worse. The deposit is now $2500.

I think the next step in Tesla CPO program is that you pencil down the features of the car you need, and they assign a used car based on those features. That way they don't even have to list the CPOs on their website.