Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CPO Site...only 14 vehicles listed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they are going to purpose the CPO site for listing NEW cars that are unsold?

Or, perhaps they took my advice from another thread and decided to actually have them ready for sale before they are listed!

Last edited:
Tesla is clearly having difficulty moving the Model S inventory:

Tesla Model 3 Reservation Holders Complain of Store Pressure to Take Model S Inventory

Their scattershot and constantly shifting approach is worrisome. Huge numbers of cars appear and quickly disappear on Hanks site - certainly hundreds aren't sold overnight as it sometimes appears. And now most Tesla Centers are listing cars on autotrader and cars.com. But most don't have pictures or dealer comments making the listings hopelessly ineffective.

I'm getting the feeling that Tesla is swimming in unsold new and used inventory and has no disciplined and effective way of marketing these units.

I wonder if they are going to purpose the CPO site for listing NEW cars that are unsold?

Or, perhaps they took my advice from another thread and decided to actually have them ready for sale before they are listed!

That would be good advice to take. After initially being told 3-6 weeks for my CPO, I am now past week 6 without any date indicated for delivery. I am confident that Tesla will have the car in order by delivery time; however, I think that these cars come back to Tesla in wildly differing conditions. It would make sense to perform the inspections, decide what could be sold quickly, and what trade-ins need extensive work, and then perform the work before offering them for sale.

I can personally confirm alem's statement that the trade-in cars "come back in wildly different conditions." I've walked the trade in lot at three different Tesla service centers and looked over the cars as they are returned. It's a little disturbing to me how rough many of them look. A few are obviously well cared for but many clearly are not. I've always been amazed by people buying these CPO cars without every seeing them. Something I would never do. Even after "reconditioning" they won't be as nice, nor remain as nice, as a well cared for car.

I spent several months actually looking at used Teslas before finding my S85 at a Lexus dealer. I saw it shortly after it was traded for and before anything was done to it. Very near showroom condition - no "reconditioning" needed and nothing done except a wash before delivery to me. The one previous owner had also left a complete set of the Tesla service records, since new, in the car.

I had looked at over a dozen other cars, many of them "reconditioned", that weren't nearly as nice. I'd almost given up on finding a really pristine, documented, used Tesla when this one came along. It wasn't CPO and had only about 18 months of warranty remaining. But it was priced way less than the CPO cars and I know it wasn't one of the rough looking trades that had been fluffed to pass for "like new".

Last edited:
I spent several months actually looking at used Teslas before finding my S85 at a Lexus dealer. I saw it shortly after it was traded for and before anything was done to it. Very near showroom condition - no "reconditioning" needed and nothing done except a wash before delivery to me. The one previous owner had also left a complete set of the Tesla service records, since new, in the car.

I had looked at over a dozen other cars, many of them "reconditioned", that weren't nearly as nice. I'd almost given up on finding a really pristine, documented, used Tesla when this one came along. It wasn't CPO and had only about 18 months of warranty remaining. But it was priced way less than the CPO cars and I know it wasn't one of the rough looking trades that had been fluffed to pass for "like new".

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but did Tesla actually honor the original warranty when you bought from a 3rd party dealer? I spoke to Tesla Sales this week about a car listed at a non-Tesla dealer and was told the existing new car warranty would be voided. Did you get any guarantee before you bought?

Also, I assume you can't buy the extended warranty per the terms on Tesla's site?

You were given incorrect information - all to often an occurrence with Tesla employees. The original manufacturers warrenty is fully transferred to any subsequent owners regardless of where the car was purchased. I've had warrenty work done a couple of times on this car.

I'd like to think the misinformation was an honest mistake but more likely it was an attempt to push you into a CPO or new Tesla.

It's correct that the extended warrenty (technically a service contract) can only be bought when the car is purchased private party. But it's really expensive at more than $4,000, has a per visit $200 deductible, and can require you to perform the "recommended" annual $600 service to keep it in effect. Just doesn't seem like a very good deal to me. My car will be going out of 4/50 warrenty at the end of this year - and I'll probably just "fly solo" beyond that. Repairs can be expensive but many folks have gotten good reliability out to well past 100k miles.

Last edited:
In the UK they took down 96 listings overnight a few weeks ago, the cars are still available just hidden from the main page.

Make of that what you will.
My hunch is they're throttling the number they show not to alarm people. 264 model S listed on here, new and inventory, which is getting on for 10% of all Teslas sold in the UK. Also lists price changes over recent weeks so you can see the % discounts they're applying.

Tesla Model S for sale

They're either making a lot more cars than they used to, or they're just making a lot more cars than they're selling, possibly both, but in the space of a year they've gone from a long wait in the UK to take your pick from stock.