TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Cracking Down on After Market Vendors

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by toddtatum, Aug 8, 2018.

1. toddtatum

toddtatum New Member

I had identified a few after market exterior parts with Tesla/Model 3 logos on RPM last week. I went to purchase them on Monday and they had been removed from the site. I messaged the site owner and he said that they removed them at the request of Tesla. The items removed included the Carbon Fiber Tailgate Strip with Tesla logo cut out, the Model 3 rear emblem and the Tesla center cap logo. There may have been others as well that I was not following. Just letting everyone know as you may want to increase your sense of urgency in inquiring similar logo's parts from other vendors before Tesla reaches them.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

Interesting. RPM Tesla removed all of their Tesla logo'd items (like their Tesla puddle lights), yet I just checked the Abstract Ocean website and they still have the Tesla "T" for a puddle light.

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

This has been a long time coming. I'm surprised it took Tesla this long to say something.

• Like x 1
  4. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

I would imagine (eventually) all vendors using the Tesla logo will get a similar warning. My limited understanding of trademarks and patents is that you have to defend them universally and you cannot just pick and choose.

• Like x 1
  5. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

So , just ends up meaning 4 weeks shipping ;)

• Funny x 7
  6. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

My thoughts exactly....prob coming from the same factory...just removing the US middleman.

• Like x 1
  7. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Thanks for the heads up, I just raided Abstract Ocean in preparation for my 3!

8. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

I ordered two sets of puddle lights from RPM Tesla for $80 because of their 20% off of $150 sale. I just realized I could have bought the same lights on eBay for ~$55 instead of $80 :(

• Funny x 1
  9. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

But you encouraged an American company!

• Like x 1
  10. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

That resales parts from China

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Site says:
    “We are Tesla Owners and shareholders located in sunny Southern California. If you are local you can come by to see our Tesla Model S's and see how the decals look on the vehicles. We own 2 Model S Tesla's.

History: We have been manufacturing rubber, and plastic part like these 3M and Avery labels for more than 25 years. This division of RPM Products simply makes the patterns and cuts out the high quality decals, and now more accessories.”
    So, sure, in part. Much better than a straight Chinese reseller.

• Like x 1
  12. timk225

timk225 Active Member

So that's why we can't order the "Model 3" chrome emblems from RPM Tesla anymore? Good thing I got mine early, my Model 3 looks GREAT with its Model 3 emblems on the trunk lid!

Copyright, shmopyright. If Tesla refuses to put a Model 3 emblem on 3's for some inexplicably stupid reason, certainly not cost savings, then it is the right and obligation of aftermarket suppliers to fill the demand for said parts.

There is simply no good reason to not have the Model 3 emblems on 3's, just like Model S and X cars have theirs.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  13. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

A few years back Ford went after Brasil and Chinese manufacturers of 1930s Model A Ford parts! They now have "authorized Ford" on the package and are a much higher quality. Previous poster was right, you have to go after all to protect your brand.

14. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

Ah, I was wondering why I couldn't order the "TESLA" frunk lettering. They had that up for like a day before it was taken back down. Really dumb, now we'll just have to go to China to get this junk.

15. osubuckeyes88

osubuckeyes88 Member

Does abstract ocean still have it?

16. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

They have trunk lettering, and I immediately went ahead and ordered a set (plus SpaceX and ≡ puddle lights) upon seeing this thread.

17. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

The frunk lettering I had only seen on RPM and even then it was up for a day or two. It's not the badging, just the standard TESLA logo in vinyl that you can add to the inside of the frunk.

18. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

As far as the trunk lettering is concerned, all they have to do is sell S E T L A letters. It's not their fault if you're dyslexic and put it on wrong

• Funny x 4
    • Love x 1
  19. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I love the Abstract Ocean “Performance” name for the trunk lid.
    It’s looks like a real OE install instead of thin vinyl.

20. SSedan

SSedan Member

Maybe licensing is the cream needed to turn a profit?