Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Crash in Indy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parts scattered seem more like ripped off in a (isolated?) barrel roll crash rather than from the combustion. How does one create an isolated 100mph crash in a street like that? Can one just lose control after pressing the go pedal for 5 seconds? Perhaps it was not isolated, but a hit and run. Police and Tesla may come up with details.

I love how the article states in the second paragraph "...when the driver lost control and crashed into a tree..." but then later, in the requisite jab against Tesla AP technology, they devote all of paragraph seven to say "It was not immediately clear if the Tesla's self-driving feature played a role in the crash" and continue on to pointedly remind the readers that that poor guy in Florida, who was clearly doing nothing wrong, was the innocent victim of AP technology.

And the repeated, blatant attempts to stir the f---e pot again by mentioning the small burning batteries, as though ICE vehicles never leave small, burning debris. And equating the Tesla battery to the recalled Samsung Galaxy is a new low.

I would truly be embarrassed to call myself a "journalist" today.

Last edited:
First, let me offer my condolences to all affected and say, that any loss of life is unacceptable.
Second, I take parts of this news article as an attempt tp dramatize the facts. The article had to thrown in parts of old news that really does not truly reflect this situation. Hover boards, Samsung phone, exploding batteries on aircraft - ect.
Tesla's battery management system can not nor should every be comparable to the common lithium battery application. Also they state the crash might be comparable to the fatal accident in Florida and cite 'We may never know if the Autopilot was a factor'.
Please use the following LOCAL link. It is more factual.

Two killed in fiery Tesla crash north of downtown

Why are Tesla accidents even news worthy? I never ever see articles plastering the web saying Fatal Accident in XYZ Brand.

If the car was obliterated I think we can safely say they were driving too fast.

I also hate seeing all the Tesla Killer articled that are about cars launching 10 years too late and still four years away. Finally I saw an article about Frisker and the headline was saying "here they are again after they failed" essentially, rather than "here's a tesla killer"

• Informative
Reactions: Barensn and Ulmo
@zambono This article, if you read it, goes WAY further than just mentioning the brand. It's like they took a crowbar to squeeze in as much FUD as possible in a single article. Lots of discussion about how Li-ion batteries are being blamed for Galaxy S7 explosions, autopilot is mentioned with pretty much zero reason to do so, and no mention of Tesla or Model S safety ratings.

Reactions: Ulmo
When folk use their Ferrari's, Porsche's, or Lambo's as coffins it normally makes the papers.

That Enzo that punched a power pole at 100+ on PCH split in 2 and the driver left the scene before the police arrived. Some Russian mobster IIRC.

150 yard long debris field? Happening at 1am? Unfortunately, I think we can take a guess at what that means. High probability of the driver being drunk combined with "hey guys watch this" super high speed, not even the safest car on the road is going to save you from that. A real shame.

(Side note: The newspaper trying to equate this to the autopilot crash in Florida is pretty obvious click bait, which is rather offensive IMO.)

"Firefighters arrived and had to contend with the car fire and multiple fires in the road left by the small batteries and magnesium strewn about."

sounds like the battery pack was ripped asunder (along with the rest of the car). How fast were they going?!?! Also looking at the last image, it doesn't appear that the fire had fully engulfed the car yet, which means the firefighters had enough time to stop the fire from getting much worse.