Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Crash in Indy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sorry for her loss but this was 100% caused by negligent and dangerous drunk driving. The lawsuit is absurd.
after working as an insider - it doesn't matter. More often than you know, plaintiff's attorneys will still file nuisance suits & nothing will ever go to court, rather they get paid off to go away. That's why your rates continue to go up. You can be illegal, no driver's license, with a fictional non-existent passenger, & still get a little something something when it comes down to your word versus theirs. It's not even worth it to the insurance company to hire an investigator, because paying everybody off is less expensive when you can just more easily raise everybody's rates. It's a lobby funded by >$1.2 trillion. Welcome to the Real World.

after working as an insider - it doesn't matter. More often than you know, plaintiff's attorneys will still file nuisance suits & nothing will ever go to court, rather they get paid off to go away. That's why your rates continue to go up. You can be illegal, no driver's license, with a fictional non-existent passenger, & still get a little something something when it comes down to your word versus theirs. It's not even worth it to the insurance company to hire an investigator, because paying everybody off is less expensive when you can just more easily raise everybody's rates. It's a lobby funded by >$1.2 trillion. Welcome to the Real World.

But Tesla is self-insured, and they have said in the past that they won't just pay people off to make them go away. So there is no one to just raise rates on.

But Tesla is self-insured, and they have said in the past that they won't just pay people off to make them go away. So there is no one to just raise rates on.
Self-insured doesn't mean companies don't outsource. the multinational that I work for now has over 100 staff attorneys, & still outsource tons of stuff. Eventually, there will be 2 Teslas that crash into each other, & both equally at fault .... who's going to get thrown under the bus then?

All bark and no bites!

Tesla sounds very tough to discourage people from going to court.

Once sued, it's another story.

Tesla settled for more than $5 million in AP2 delay lawsuit.

Tesla reached $13 million settlement to a janitor hit by a Tesla Model S at the factory.

There's something seriously wrong with that bizjournal report. It was supposed to be a lawsuit between two separate contractors hired by Tesla, of which West Valley Staffing was to pay most of the damages (Janitor Injured in Tesla Plant Accident Reaches $13M Settlement on Eve of Trial | The Recorder):
"A spokesperson for Tesla said that the incident dated back to 2014 and involved “two contractors on Tesla’s property.” Tesla said West Valley will pay the bulk of the settlement. "

Not the same type of lawsuit as the AP2 missing feature set.

Tesla settled for more than $5 million in AP2 delay lawsuit.

Tesla reached $13 million settlement to a janitor hit by a Tesla Model S at the factory.

Neither of those are related to "defective product designs" that have hurt/killed someone in an accident by an owner/estate of a Tesla.

Have you seen Tesla settle any unintended acceleration law suits? Or wrongful death because of AP law suits? So far I have only seen that they are fighting them to the end.

.....snip.....Have you seen Tesla settle any unintended acceleration law suits?.....snip....
i recall a couple yrs ago - request for dismissal of class action certification being sought -
https://electrek.co/2017/04/04/tesla-dismiss-class-action-sudden-acceleration/"]Tesla asks court to dismiss class action over sudden acceleration claims - Electrek
... but don't recall the disposition. Likely dismissed, as it would have been fodder for the shorters.

Last edited:
i recall a couple yrs ago - request for dismissal of class action certification being sought -
Tesla asks court to dismiss class action over sudden acceleration claims - Electrek"]Tesla asks court to dismiss class action over sudden acceleration claims - Electrek
... but don't recall the disposition. Likely dismissed, as it would have been fodder for the shorters.

Asking the court to dismiss something is not the same thing as settling. A lot of times in the court system, the 'receiving' party to the lawsuit asks the court to dismiss the case on any number of grounds. Because of obvious case law precedent, the suit is frivolous, Tesla is not the actual at fault party, etc, etc.

Burnie is a Model X that has no exterior door handles. They are just shiny long chrome buttons. They never retract and they never protrude. They are always flushed.

So, when we are talking about retractable handles, I assume we are not about talking Model X but about Model S.

Oopsie...I'll admit I didn't know that. The MS being retractable to provide a mechanical way to open the doors, I just assumed...

thanks -- you saved me from pulling the door panel off the MX to "repair" the handle, lol.