Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Crash in Indy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Firefighters arrived and had to contend with the car fire and multiple fires in the road left by the small batteries and magnesium strewn about."

sounds like the battery pack was ripped asunder (along with the rest of the car). How fast were they going?!?! Also looking at the last image, it doesn't appear that the fire had fully engulfed the car yet, which means the firefighters had enough time to stop the fire from getting much worse.

Yes, you can see from pictures that there's batteries all over the place.

I didn't understand the one reporter on video saying the firefighters had to FIRST put out the debris field fires before turning their attention to the car. That doesn't make any sense at all. And then there was a firefighter interviewed who was saying how difficult/complicated/hard it is dealing with EVs and how they have to be extra careful. *full on eye roll* Just add water folks.

150 yard long debris field? Happening at 1am? Unfortunately, I think we can take a guess at what that means. High probability of the driver being drunk combined with "hey guys watch this" super high speed, not even the safest car on the road is going to save you from that. A real shame.

(Side note: The newspaper trying to equate this to the autopilot crash in Florida is pretty obvious click bait, which is rather offensive IMO.)

and speculating the driver was drunk is not offensive?! That's poor taste given there's no facts. All we know is the car was likely speeding.
I recall being told in an advanced driving school that tree-lined-roads while pretty are incredibly dangerous. if the tree is more than 5 inches diameter it might as well be a concrete post - whatever the speed of the car. It won't snap - and will likely cause death in a side impact. Less than 5 inches and the tree will be taken out by the car.

I'm not familiar with the exact details on how the current safety systems work in the car but could someone explain why the car cannot stop by itself or at least drastically reduce the speed prior to hitting a tree? Unless the driver had his/her foot on the accelerator, why isn't there an automatic braking system that can preclude such terrible accident? Does the Autopilot need to be engaged for the automatic braking system to work? Thank you

Tesla is justa huge magnet for news headlines, positive and negative. If the media can hang onto every Elon tweets and write paragraph after paragraph over his 140 characters, and speculate incessantly after every new products that's been announced or even hinted, that may or may not come to a store near you in 1-2 years, then we can't blame them for reporting every little negative things about Tesla. It's probably the result of how fast Tesla is pushing the technology frontier, vs the boring old car and energy industries.

Yes, you can see from pictures that there's batteries all over the place.

I didn't understand the one reporter on video saying the firefighters had to FIRST put out the debris field fires before turning their attention to the car. That doesn't make any sense at all. And then there was a firefighter interviewed who was saying how difficult/complicated/hard it is dealing with EVs and how they have to be extra careful. *full on eye roll* Just add water folks.
Not that fire fighting is ever easy, but have you ever seen anyone getting interviewed on their job, and say stuff like "oh my job is so easy a 5 year old can do it"? Of course everyone always emphasize how hard their job is and how good of a job they just did

• Informative
Reactions: AMPd and SW2Fiddler
I'm not familiar with the exact details on how the current safety systems work in the car but could someone explain why the car cannot stop by itself or at least drastically reduce the speed prior to hitting a tree? Unless the driver had his/her foot on the accelerator, why isn't there an automatic braking system that can preclude such terrible accident? Does the Autopilot need to be engaged for the automatic braking system to work? Thank you
The tree is a few feet off the road, if you're travelling 2-3 times the posted speed limit, there's no AEB on earth which could prevent that.

UPDATE: Coroner identifies two people killed in fiery Tesla crash north of downtown

Local news station coverage, with cell-phone-video of the post-crash fire, as well as later pics of the vehicle and car-parts/battery cells strewn about. Thoughts go out to the occupants and their families.

I hope the IFD (Indianapolis Fire Department) will review their response to this crash, as based on the video and comments in the newspaper article, it took them quite some time to start fighting the fire -- likely due to hesitation in how to do so safely. I can respect their desire to stay safe and not endanger themselves or the occupants, but with a post-crash fire like that and occupant(s) to be extricated, time is everything.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Shawn Snider
I would not say a firefighters job is easy. Any fire can be unpredictable and these guys put themselves at risk to try and save those involved in the accident. Once the fire is out, they then have to deal with the aftermath of the two people who did not make it.

Reactions: AndY1
UPDATE: Coroner identifies two people killed in fiery Tesla crash north of downtown

Local news station coverage, with cell-phone-video of the post-crash fire, as well as later pics of the vehicle and car-parts/battery cells strewn about. Thoughts go out to the occupants and their families.

I hope the IFD (Indianapolis Fire Department) will review their response to this crash, as based on the video and comments in the newspaper article, it took them quite some time to start fighting the fire -- likely due to hesitation in how to do so safely. I can respect their desire to stay safe and not endanger themselves or the occupants, but with a post-crash fire like that and occupant(s) to be extricated, time is everything.
You know, I looked up the two names on facebook and linkedin there's a company in common. If they are the correct people then one is the CEO and the other is a 27 yr old who just started three months ago... in a car together at 1 am.... :oops:

Ughhh...

I hope that doesn't push EV development backwards.

Everybody knows that vehicles can burn in a crash, and gasoline cars with nearly empty fuel tanks can actually explode like a bomb.

That shot of the cells going off like fireworks while accurate, is the worse case scenario like car explosions:

CNG which is a "safe" motor fuel:

Reactions: GSP