Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Crash in Indy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and speculating the driver was drunk is not offensive?! That's poor taste given there's no facts. All we know is the car was likely speeding.

Informed reasonable speculation is not offensive. Perfectly reasonable to speculate drunken speeding.

If you wait until all the facts are in, then is not speculation anymore -- it's just facts.

While waiting for facts --> speculate away.

Last edited:
Ughhh...

I hope that doesn't push EV development backwards.

Everybody knows that vehicles can burn in a crash, and gasoline cars with nearly empty fuel tanks can actually explode like a bomb.

That shot of the cells going off like fireworks while accurate, is the worse case scenario like car explosions:

CNG which is a "safe" motor fuel:

That looks like a CNG explosion for sure... nothing about compressed natural gas sounds safe.

Informed reasonable speculation is not offensive. Perfectly reasonable to speculate drunken speeding.

If you wait until all the facts are in, then is not speculation anymore -- it's just facts.

While waiting for facts --> speculate away.

All Tesla's are powerful cars - just because they're pushing the speed in the night does not make them likely to be drunk. People speculating like this on the other threads relating to deaths has been frowned upon. Why is it now okay to do so?
From what i've seen most drunks are more likely to drive too slowly, and be over-cautious (but irratically) for fear of being caught by the cops.

Why are Tesla accidents even news worthy? I never ever see articles plastering the web saying Fatal Accident in XYZ Brand.

If the car was obliterated I think we can safely say they were driving too fast.

I also hate seeing all the Tesla Killer articled that are about cars launching 10 years too late and still four years away. Finally I saw an article about Frisker and the headline was saying "here they are again after they failed" essentially, rather than "here's a tesla killer"

I think it's due, in part, to Musk's claims that Teslas are the safest cars on the road and that the AP features save lives, etc. That puts the focus on every accident where there's a fatality. If Musk would stop making the claims, there wouldn't be much of a story when he's shown to be engaging in puffery.

Looks like the wheel fell off... que Keef,
Seriously, I wonder if some new road diet was installed, and was a contributing factor.
Very sad. It looks like he was interviewed in September after having several tires damaged on some road construction. So I think the Tesla was his, and maybe the driver wasnt familiar with the car.

‘Be really careful’: Indianapolis man says construction downtown did thousands in damage to car
Sounds like that damage could have been a contributing factor. Lately, construction work is a lot worse than when I was younger. Is it our tires or the newer construction techniques that are just worse, or both? Are roads so over-stressed these days that repairs are deeper, and the crews so lacking in work ethic that they'd rather leave half-done work for the next day? I don't know why these things are worse than they were when I was younger.

This is an actual life and death consideration when considering getting the 21" or 22" rims; I'm always an advocate of the smaller rims that have more rubber to ward off bumps like this (19" Model S, 20" Model X).
So you're saying that Uber is trying to sabotage Tesla's autonomous driving program. Interesting point.
I didn't say that. What I did say is in their 10Q (along with everything else in the kitchen sink, which is why I kind of decided to replace my message with another message).

I just found an article in Business Insider:

"About 17 cars catch fire every hour in the United States."
"That's more than 150,000 annually, which kill some 209 civilians every year."
Source: NFPA: Vehicles

"It’s worth noting that 174,000 car fires were reported on US highways last year. Of course, the vast majority had nothing to do with electric vehicles or Tesla." per electrek with no source cited. Rare Tesla Model S fire following fatal crash in speeding accident

Very sad. It looks like he was interviewed in September after having several tires damaged on some road construction. So I think the Tesla was his, and maybe the driver wasnt familiar with the car.

‘Be really careful’: Indianapolis man says construction downtown did thousands in damage to car

See, that was my fear. When I get a ludicrous Model 3 I'm going to be putting that in valet mode if other people are going to be driving it. I wouldn't want to put someone inexperienced with a powerful vehicle behind the wheel.

You know, I looked up the two names on facebook and linkedin there's a company in common. If they are the correct people then one is the CEO and the other is a 27 yr old who just started three months ago... in a car together at 1 am.... :oops:

I started thinking along the same lines when I saw the last names didn't match, pics, ages the fact that the woman was driving and I believe that portion of a red caliper along with 21in wheel can be seen indicating a Performance version of the car.

All after the game last night too.

I think it's due, in part, to Musk's claims that Teslas are the safest cars on the road and that the AP features save lives, etc. That puts the focus on every accident where there's a fatality. If Musk would stop making the claims, there wouldn't be much of a story when he's shown to be engaging in puffery.

Tesla accidents have always attracted undue attention, even during the first two years when AP didn't exist and there were no fatalities.