Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Crash in Indy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's funny, because the NHTSA specifically stated that they don't rank or order vehicles within ratings. Furthermore, if this is true, the NHTSA hasn't even tested competitors like the BMW 7 series, Audi A8 or Mercedes S class cars.

Again, I ask you for a link to the NHTSA statement that Tesla is the safest car on the road and the NHTSA test that shows "...the Model S scored the lowest rollover chance (by a long shot")..."

And are you trying to argue that rollover scores are the sine qua non of safety???

It's the kind of exaggeration and misdirection that shows up in this thread that causes the media to disprove the false claims. If you want to make the claims, go ahead, but don't complain about factual coverage that corrects the record.

No, I am not suggesting the rollover scores are the sine qua non of safety.
What I am suggesting is that if 10 cars score 5 stars in all categories, and there is one safety item listed in more detail, that item gives makes for the tie breaker.
2015 Tesla Model S 60KWH 5 HB RWD | Safercar -- NHTSA
Click on "Rollower" to see the score.

Or to put it another way, if two cars score 5 stars and one rates 1% rollover chance and the other rates a 10% rollover chance, the one with 1% rollover chance is safer by the scoring system.

The synopsis I read said the exact cause of that fire was never determined exactly, though there was some evidence the wall unit was the source of the fire rather than the car itself. It may have been in the wiring. It's still a fire related to a Tesla.

Apparently three Fiskars and a Prius caught fire when a lot full of evacuated cars in New Jersey during Sandy got flooded. It appears bad things happen when Fiskars get wet. Other Priuses flooded too and they didn't catch on fire.
My recollection could certainly be wrong, but I don't think it was 3 Fiskars. They had just off-loaded an entire shipment from Europe to NA. I think it was more line 125 cars. They were all under 12 feet of water for a short while. It drive Fiskar into bancruptcy, as their shipping insurance only covered them while on the ship, and their corporate insurance only covered them once they took possession of the cars formally. The gap between was supposed to be negligible but the stevedores unloaded and ran.

At least that's my recollection.

PS I tried to respond to the post about the 3 Fiskars. Looks like I clicked the wrong message.

My recollection could certainly be wrong, but I don't think it was 3 Fiskars. They had just off-loaded an entire shipment from Europe to NA. I think it was more line 125 cars. They were all under 12 feet of water for a short while. It drive Fiskar into bancruptcy, as their shipping insurance only covered them while on the ship, and their corporate insurance only covered them once they took possession of the cars formally. The gap between was supposed to be negligible but the stevedores unloaded and ran.

At least that's my recollection.

PS I tried to respond to the post about the 3 Fiskars. Looks like I clicked the wrong message.

According to Motor Trend, it was 16 Fisker Karmas that were burned and destroyed when they were submerged by Hurricane Sandy.

fisker fire.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
No, I am not suggesting the rollover scores are the sine qua non of safety.
What I am suggesting is that if 10 cars score 5 stars in all categories, and there is one safety item listed in more detail, that item gives makes for the tie breaker.
2015 Tesla Model S 60KWH 5 HB RWD | Safercar -- NHTSA
Click on "Rollower" to see the score.

Or to put it another way, if two cars score 5 stars and one rates 1% rollover chance and the other rates a 10% rollover chance, the one with 1% rollover chance is safer by the scoring system.

So you now admit that the NHSA never proclaimed the Tesla to be the safest car on the road. Glad to see we can finally agree on this.

Reactions: bonaire
....I think there are something around 100-120K Teslas on the road in the US. If they caught fire at the rate ICEs do (assuming 100K), that would mean 69 Tesla fires a year in the US alone. The only EV to approach that kind of fire hazard has been Fiskar...

I realize that I am (along with others) taking this thread off topic, but I am the original owner of a Fisker Karma. I have driven the car for four years, and I love it. So I feel a duty to set the record on straight on this insinuation that Fisker Karmas have more of a problem with fires than other makes.

During the first few months the car was for sale, TWO Fisker Karmas burned due to defective cooling fans associated with the car's internal combustion engine. Fisker knew the fans were defective when they shipped the cars but believed the chance of an actual fire was so remote that they didn't have to worry about it. That proved to be incorrect. Fisker performed a recall, replaced the fan on every car they had produced, and there has never been another fire in a Fisker traced to that cause. The important takeaway from this is that the high voltage battery was not the cause of either fire.

Shortly afterward, 300 Fisker Karmas were sitting in port in Newark, New Jersey when Hurricane Sandy hit. Both hybrid and non-hybrid cars caught fire. 16 of these cars were Fisker Karmas. After an inspection, witnessed by the NHTSA, executives from Fisker determined that ONE Fisker Karma caught fire and high winds spread the fire to 15 nearby Karmas. The Karma that originally caught fire had been submerged under 5-8 feet of seawater which left corrosive salt in a low-voltage Vehicle Control Unit (a component found on many different automobiles) thereby causing a short that created a fire which destroyed that car and 15 others. The same investigation concluded that there were no explosions among the Fisker Karmas as had been initially reported. Again, the important takeaway from this is that the high voltage battery was not the cause of any of the fires that affected the 16 Karmas sitting in port when Hurricane Sandy hit.

So there you have it. The Fisker Karma's high voltage battery has never caused a fire.

150 yard long debris field? Happening at 1am? Unfortunately, I think we can take a guess at what that means. High probability of the driver being drunk combined with "hey guys watch this" super high speed, not even the safest car on the road is going to save you from that. A real shame.

I kind of cringed when I saw this too - she was driving his car at 1am, it was a 2015 and looks like it may have been a p85d. And the dark part of me asks "what was she doing with him out at that hour anyway?"

Super tragic. As a parent I couldn't imagine how I could ever reconcile something like that happening to a child, my heart goes out to those families.

It was initially reported as his car?

I re-read it to make sure I didn't make a mistake that she was driving his car:

"Friends and family are reeling from the news that Speckman, 27, was one of two people killed in a fiery crash early Thursday. She and 44-year-old Kevin McCarthy were traveling north on Illinois Street near 16th Street when Speckman, driving McCarthy's 2015 Tesla, lost control and crashed into a tree shortly after 1 a.m., according to Indianapolis Fire Department Battalion Chief Rita Reith."

I re-read it to make sure I didn't make a mistake that she was driving his car:

"Friends and family are reeling from the news that Speckman, 27, was one of two people killed in a fiery crash early Thursday. She and 44-year-old Kevin McCarthy were traveling north on Illinois Street near 16th Street when Speckman, driving McCarthy's 2015 Tesla, lost control and crashed into a tree shortly after 1 a.m., according to Indianapolis Fire Department Battalion Chief Rita Reith."
Lügenpresse! ;);)

Off topic a bit but on the same page as that
And to add to the confusion....
Memorial grows for victims of downtown Tesla crash

"She was less than a year away from being married to the love of her life and had just posted a photo of her Tesla on Facebook, calling it her "new baby.""

It was initially reported as his car?

Off topic a bit but on that same page is this:

23-year-old man dies after southeast-side crash

Notice no mention in the title or the article about the make or model of car. Another example of click-bait sensationalism by the media.