Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla crash over cliff...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the need to call out the car?

Perhaps because he is, to my knowledge, only the third person ever to die in a Tesla. The other two are the guy who stole one and wrapped it around a pole at 90MPH, and another guy who went ballistic over a cliff on Hwy 1, possibly deliberately. All in California. So, statistically, once you get your Tesla out of California you should be totally safe, right? BTW, the pole wrapper was thrown out of the car, suggesting that he wasn't belted in. Even then, he survived the accident (for a while) to the surprise of authorities.

Stolen: Driver of stolen Tesla that crashed, split in 2, dies

Cliff: Marin County driver who died in crash off | The Press Democrat

I hope the media does not blow this out of proportions. That said, I wonder if auto-pilot can prevent issues like these in the case something happens to the driver it would gain control, bonus points if it can locate the closest ambulance and notify 911.

Would AutoPilot prevent the car veering out of the lane and off the cliff? Perhaps just slowed down to a stop in the lane instead...

If the driver has a firm grip on the wheel, I doubt Autopilot would help, even after the self steering modules are released. Current generation systems are designed to allow the driver to override them, on the theory that the driver knows better - I don't see how the car would know the difference between a seizure and a deliberate driver override.
Walter

If the driver has a firm grip on the wheel, I doubt Autopilot would help, even after the self steering modules are released. Current generation systems are designed to allow the driver to override them, on the theory that the driver knows better - I don't see how the car would know the difference between a seizure and a deliberate driver override.
Walter

Sleepiness detection systems are now quite common. The same technology could be used for seizures and strokes. Not sure if any car has it actually implemented yet.

Why the need to call out the car?

Because details are interesting to people.

I just did a Google News search for "car crash." One headline reads, "2 killed when BMW flips in Mount Vernon." Why the need to call out the BMW? "17-year-old suffers brain injury in Long Island car crash." Why mention the age? "Teen driver dies after Newport Beach car crash." Age and location there, neither of which are necessary.

People need to get less paranoid about details in news stories. If you took out all the details you'd be left with "Stuff Happened."

My goodness people can be quite mad:

Poor fella probably dozed off for a moment. This seems to happen quite often in Electric Vehicles. He probably had a melatonin deficiency which is a common side effect of long term exposure to sitting in very close proximity of ultra powerful electric motors. The manufacturer is fully aware of this. This is why TOYOTA, DAIMLER and PORSCHE will not build a TESLA.

David Crosby blamed it on glare, but he probably dozed off for a moment also. Yes I know that people can fall asleep in regular cars, but it is no mystery that powerful electro-magnetic fields have this effect from long term exposure.

But then you'll say...Bruce Jenner was driving his Escalade when he seemed to doze off for a moment. And I'll say....he was lucky he was not driving his TESLA. The melatonin deficiency does not go away when one steps out of a TESLA.

By the way, how come I don't hear any more about my buddy Brad telling everyone how wonderful his EV is? Does he still drive Angelina around in it? Our bodies need the right balance of Melatonin for some vital biological processes, not just proper rest.

Thanks! Does anybody know if the roll-out has started?

Probably best-asked in one of the threads discussing it.

My goodness people can be quite mad.

Wow, if you click on that nutcases's name and look through the rest of his comments - he has 300 posts all over the web where he almost exclusively seeks out articles about Tesla and trashes it. Has been going on for 7 months.

He seems to be owning a Panamera Turbo S. Maybe his motivation is that he's upset that he spent so much money on his Porche and now he gets it handed to him by an EV?