TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Crash

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Shoulder Geek, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Shoulder Geek

Shoulder Geek Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg We are home from the hospital without critical injuries.

Six passengers and a dog all walked away from this crash -- where a driver ran a red light at >45 mph and hit the front right quarter panel as we turned on a free arrow -- because of the amazing safety of Tesla. We are scared, injured, sore, angry, sad but alive.

Thank you Tesla Team for our lives and our safety. Now if you could just make other drivers safer.

We waited four years and two months for this car and we had it four months. Even so, it was worth it. We are alive. I'm pretty sure any other 7 passenger vehicle would have rolled if hit by this distracted Detroit Missile.

#10airbagsdeployed

#safestSUVever

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
    • Love x 4
    • Like x 2
  2. DougH

DougH Active Member

#2 DougH, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    So glad you and your family are ok!

• Like x 1
  3. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

Wow. Glad all are ok.

• Like x 1
  4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Glad you're ok! What kind of car hit you?

5. DougH

DougH Active Member

Look at all the pics. It looks like a Suburban.

6. Electric Dream

So glad you all walked away from this.

Quite surprised at the apparent lack of damage to the Yukon. Do you think the X absorbed the majority of the energy?

There's another thread on TMC about Euro NCAP vs. U.S. crash testing and how the ratings come about. This looks to me very much like a typical 'offset vehicle-to-vehicle' impact, which Euro NCAP doesn't even test for. Either way, as long as everyone's OK that's all that matters.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yes, sorry, looks like a fairly big GMC SUV. Yikes.

8. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I'm happy to hear that you survived the crash relatively unharmed. That's a big vehicle that crashed into you, kudos to Tesla safety.

9. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

What was saved is irreplaceable.......you got the best outcome anyone could hope and pray for, and thank you for taking time to praise Tesla before the headlines run off the rails.

• Like x 3
  10. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I'm pretty sure your Model X was the only one I've actually seen around the TC. Sorry to hear about your crash, glad you're all okay!

• Like x 1
  11. Electric Dream

Looking at the photos again, it seems to me the Tesla did exactly what you'd want in this type of crash and absorbed the energy with crumple zones, leaving what looks like quite a lot of damage, but that's exactly what you want.

The Yukon looks like it could have a solid block of concrete behind the front panels going by the lack of damage.

If a Yukon hit a smaller, less safe car at the same speed, it would be a complete mess!

Both of these cars have good crash ratings, but I can see clearly which one is actually safer for all road users, not just the driver.

• Like x 2
  12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

@Shoulder Geek very relieved to hear you and your family are all okay. When I saw the thread title I had a sinking feeling. Would you consider requesting that a moderator revise your thread title to something more along the lines of "Model X hit by GMC Yukon but no injuries"?

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

He didn't say there were "no injuries" he said no critical injuries. I'm sure they didn't go to the hospital for the entertainment and food.

I have to agree with him that the low center of gravity probably prevented the Model X from rolling over. And I am glad that there were no critical injuries.

On the bright side you shouldn't have to wait any where near as long as 4 years and 2 months to get a replacement. (I am assuming that it is totaled. But there are still a lot of valuable parts left on it.)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My apologies, I should have written "no critical injuries" since I see the OP said there were "injuries" and they were "sore" but they all "walked away" from the crash.

I am aware that hospitals are not noted for either their "entertainment" or their "food", since my profession has put me in the operating rooms of numerous hospitals over the years. But thanks for letting me know...

15. ModelX

ModelX Member

So glad you and your family are safe! Thinking of you during this difficult time; so glad that you were in such a safe vehicle!

• Like x 1
  16. David99

David99 Active Member

Glad you guys are OK. I always wondered what would happen after a crash and if the falcon doors would still open. Looks like they were still working or did you have to manually push them up?

17. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

So great everyone is ok and hope you end up with another X soon! Thanks for sharing the story and pics

• Like x 1
  18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

That's a GMC Yukon XL
    Curb weight: 5,486 to 5,965 lbs

19. DougH

DougH Active Member

Close enough :rolleyes:

20. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

@Shoulder Geek , I hope your family heals quickly both physically and mentally. I'm sure you are very shook up right now but you couldn't have been in a safer vehicle.

• Like x 1