Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla crashed my car whilst fixing delivery defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pete99

Jul 2, 2020
UK
Tesla Heathrow, UK crashed my car 10 days ago on the second attempt of fixing a huge list of paint issues and other delivery defects.

It took a week of chasing and avoiding my calls for them to contact me about it, only to be told it'll take weeks to decide if they'll replace the vehicle.

From what I understand, nobody in the UK is authorised to make a decision about the next steps and they keep repeating that "we are following a process", but will not explain what this process is, who is involved or how long it will take. Just that whatever it is normally takes many weeks to get a decision.

Is anyone familiar with this process? I have no idea what is going on and Tesla are treating my like I have the plague.

I love the vehicle and want it replaced. I've taken legal advice and understand that I can reject the vehicle via my lease company (on 2 counts apparently), however that does not look like a quick process and I'd rather arrange a replacement in an amicable way. It's been 10 days already, nothing has happened and I'm currently being told to wait an unspecified amount of time.

Thanks.

You have my sympathy with this one, such a shame.

The only advice I know of is that the Consumer Rights Act is your friend as always, traders have a responsibility of care under this act.

Hopefully it won't come to that and the garage will come to its senses, maybe their silence is because they are going through their own insurance and often their advice is to say nothing once that process is started. I know that doesn't help you, but you may soon hear from their insurance company.

If you have free legal advice on your insurance (home or car) you can always ask them.

Do you know how bad the damage is?

You have my sympathy with this one, such a shame.

The only advice I know of is that the Consumer Rights Act is your friend as always, traders have a responsibility of care under this act.

Hopefully it won't come to that and the garage will come to its senses, maybe their silence is because they are going through their own insurance and often their advice is to say nothing once that process is started. I know that doesn't help you, but you may soon hear from their insurance company.

If you have free legal advice on your insurance (home or car) you can always ask them.

Do you know how bad the damage is?

Bumper, wing and wheel arch damage, needing dent/crease removal, filling, re-shaping. Then a 3rd trip to the body shop for a paint job.

It was already in for 5 paint defects before this happened. It's meant to be a new car and I was planning on keeping it. The crash was the last straw for me, so I want it replaced.

Bumper, wing and wheel arch damage, needing dent/crease removal, filling, re-shaping. Then a 3rd trip to the body shop for a paint job.

It was already in for 5 paint defects before this happened. It's meant to be a new car and I was planning on keeping it. The crash was the last straw for me, so I want it replaced.

Well... this is my understanding...the consumer rights act gives you 30 days (when the defect was clearly from manufacturer) to receive a full refund. Also, up to 6 months for a replacement vehicle. The one condition is that you must give the seller one chance to repair. As things stand, you've clearly given them one chance to repair.

So, if within 6 months of purchase, you could clearly state that you wish to exercise your right under the consumer rights act 2015 , they have had one chance to repair, it's within the 6 months, replacement please. Putting things in writing is probably better.

I don't know what the situation is with a courtesy car, but a goodwill gesture of keeping one until a replacement would be good PR for the SC. I would strongly suggest using any free legal advice available.

An online search will find the consumer act, so you can copy and paste from it.

Reactions: ehacke
Well... this is my understanding...the consumer rights act gives you 30 days (when the defect was clearly from manufacturer) to receive a full refund. Also, up to 6 months for a replacement vehicle. The one condition is that you must give the seller one chance to repair. As things stand, you've clearly given them one chance to repair.

So, if within 6 months of purchase, you could clearly state that you wish to exercise your right under the consumer rights act 2015 , they have had one chance to repair, it's within the 6 months, replacement please. Putting things in writing is probably better.

I don't know what the situation is with a courtesy car, but a goodwill gesture of keeping one until a replacement would be good PR for the SC. I would strongly suggest using any free legal advice available.

An online search will find the consumer act, so you can copy and paste from it.

Thanks for taking the time to set out your understanding. This is pretty much the approach I plan to take after my legal advice. I requested a replacement immediately after the accident, so I'd like for that to happen. The issue is that they are not talking to me about it. I'd like to know what this process is they keep talking about.

I'm lucky that I'm not actually in need of a courtesy car at the moment, so that's not really an issue.

It's such an amazing car. I just wish they'd talk to me and sort this out.