Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla crashed my Tesla Model X today which was delivery day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saturday at 11:10 AM

Today was supposed to be a very exciting day. I was trading in my Model S for a Model X. Delivery was scheduled for 2PM. A half hour ago I got a call from someone at Tesla saying, "your car has been in an accident and we won't be able to deliver it." The lack of professionalism of this call was astounding. I asked for more information, which he couldn't provide. I asked when I should expect to hear from someone. He said he didn't know. They were really busy today so maybe Monday. Does anyone else find this unacceptable? I told him that I wanted to someone to call me today to explain what was going on.

A few minutes later, I did get a call saying that someone backed my car into another Model X in the Tesla Lot.

First off, sorry about the delay getting your X.

It sounds like the delivery center made their first priority getting a hold of you to save you whatever driving/ further inconvenience they could. Once the damage occurred, they took what steps they could as rapidly as the could. Some people drive hours for pickup, and early notice might be appreciated.
Person you initially talked to likely had zero to do with the situation or potential resolution, just some told to call person A and tell them B. If they were more used to this type of thing, they could have lead with that and said you would get a follow up call with actual details.

If it was me working there, I would’ve given you an explaination, profusely appologize and right away get you a loaner Model X vehicle so you are able to drive one until yours is fixed.
OP was trading in an S, so the loaner idea isn't as applicable as other situations. They still had a car (Tesla even), not the case where someone already disposed of their previous vehicle (or was doing so with a 3rd party) where Tesla has provided a temporary car.

Who at Tesla corporate can I contact as I feel like I am going to get nowhere with the folks I am dealing with?
They offered to fix it or get you a new car. Seems reasonable to me.

And then add the end of quarter rush on top of it is just insane.
End of quarter rush no longer seems to be the case due to the M3.

Insideevs estimates Tesla delivered almost double the cars in July as June, and another increase in deliveries in August. The end of quarter rush was due to most US cars being delivered in the last month of the quarter due to the way they schedule international. That is not a factor for the M3 currently, and the vast majority of deliveries are M3.

Last edited:
First off, sorry about the delay getting your X.

It sounds like the delivery center made their first priority getting a hold of you to save you whatever driving/ further inconvenience they could. Once the damage occurred, they took what steps they could as rapidly as the could. Some people drive hours for pickup, and early notice might be appreciated.
Person you initially talked to likely had zero to do with the situation or potential resolution, just some told to call person A and tell them B. If they were more used to this type of thing, they could have lead with that and said you would get a follow up call with actual details.

Thanks. They just really need to train their staff better. It was like a grade school kid calling and the lack of professionalism from a company that is supposed to provide a premium experience was shocking. All he needed to say was that someone would be following up with me as quickly as possible. There was no empathy or sense of urgency. It was "Your car has been in an accident and we can't deliver it for you." It doesn't take much common sense to think that the person that you are relaying the message to may want a little more detail. He couldn't even answer if someone would be calling me back that day with more info. The excuse that "we are really busy here today," was not acceptable. I am hoping they see this and realize that this is an area of opportunity for them to improve. Anyone who is looking to buy a new Tesla would probably expect better.

Reactions: mongo
Thanks. They just really need to train their staff better. It was like a grade school kid calling and the lack of professionalism from a company that is supposed to provide a premium experience was shocking. All he needed to say was that someone would be following up with me as quickly as possible. There was no empathy or sense of urgency. It was "Your car has been in an accident and we can't deliver it for you." It doesn't take much common sense to think that the person that you are relaying the message to may want a little more detail. He couldn't even answer if someone would be calling me back that day with more info. The excuse that "we are really busy here today," was not acceptable. I am hoping they see this and realize that this is an area of opportunity for them to improve. Anyone who is looking to buy a new Tesla would probably expect better.

Understood and agree. Could have been some first week hire who was put on the spot (not a task I'd handle well).

I would not take this car. If it were just the bumpers, that's no biggie at all. But now that's quarter panel damage.

As for compensation, I'd go for a loaner and some service credit. It's always great to put miles on a car that isn't yours.

Reactions: MP3Mike
What I think allot of people dont understand. the panels on these vehicles are aluminum. It's not nearly as easy to pop a dent out and they usually replace the entire section with a new panel. That's why they cost so much to repair. Small repairs can be done with a light coat of filler. Bigger projects need entirely new panels installed. That's a fairly big job. Especially on the rear 1/4s. its not like a front fender. They dont exactly pop on and off.

Reactions: jboy210 and mongo
What I think allot of people dont understand. the panels on these vehicles are aluminum. It's not nearly as easy to pop a dent out and they usually replace the entire section with a new panel. That's why they cost so much to repair. Small repairs can be done with a light coat of filler. Bigger projects need entirely new panels installed. That's a fairly big job. Especially on the rear 1/4s. its not like a front fender. They dont exactly pop on and off.

Definitely a lot of work. Also, Tesla body panels have all sorts of complex changing curves which makes them very diffcult to get back into original shape.

Reactions: Ludalicious
Update. Here is the offer if I were to take the damaged car.

4 year maintenance package and the weather tech mats. I asked for the 4 year extended service warranty’s should well but they rejected that.

What are your thoughts?

and loaner while your car is being fixed and done deal.

Your story sucked.. but fuuu what is Elon going to do about some random bottom ladder kid damaging two $100,000 cars in one shot?

Back in the day, this kid would be in debtors prison for 7 years paying off the damage.

Broken Mirror < Broken Tesla. :D

I suppose it's a good thing that they offered you the 4 year maintenance package, versus nothing.

I personally don't think it's that great of a deal.....it's more of a nice gesture. It can be better.

You really don't get much in the 4 year maintenance plan when you really look at what is covered. Tire rotation doesn't apply to the Model X and the brake fluid change is probably more "placebo effect-ish" if anything due to regen braking. Wiper blades are cheap, so are key fob batteries and air filters. again......not much being offered here in my opinion.

You should politely see if there is anything else they are willing to offer.

It is disappointing your car got damaged and the customer services communications were not good. But Tesla is run by humans - humans make mistakes and I expect the person who contacted you was stressed due to the high level of deliveries at present and did not think out what they were saying. So try not to condemn Tesla for this situation - it can happen anywhere, anytime. It is regrettable it has happened to you to spoil your special day, but that is life

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony