Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla crashed my Tesla Model X today which was delivery day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was supposed to be a very exciting day. I was trading in my Model S for a Model X. Delivery was scheduled for 2PM. A half hour ago I got a call from someone at Tesla saying, "your car has been in an accident and we won't be able to deliver it." The lack of professionalism of this call was astounding. I asked for more information, which he couldn't provide. I asked when I should expect to hear from someone. He said he didn't know. They were really busy today so maybe Monday. Does anyone else find this unacceptable? I told him that I wanted to someone to call me today to explain what was going on.

A few minutes later, I did get a call saying that someone backed my car into another Model X in the Tesla parking lot. They were about to drive it in to get prepped for delivery. The bumper was dented and that it would take two weeks to fix in an auto body shop. I think he expected me to still take delivery of this vehicle. I told him that I didn't want a damaged car. So they are looking for a similar configuration in the system.

I would love to hear your comments and suggestions about this. I am at a bit off a loss. I know Tesla is a growing brand and we all want them to succeed. But I am very disappointed in several experiences that I've had recently and this is not helping.

Not acceptable at all. I don’t care how busy you are, you just crashed someones car that they were supposed to take delivery of. If it was me working there, I would’ve given you an explaination, profusely appologize and right away get you a loaner Model X vehicle so you are able to drive one until yours is fixed. Then maybe give you service credit for future use. But that’s just me. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly for you.

It happens more than you think at all car brands. Accidents happen, don't let it ruin your experience. They will find you a new car.

Typical apologist attitude, sigh.
OP shouldn't have to temper his frustration because other brands have the same problem. BS. Who cares what other brands do, this is Tesla, this is the future, this is not your typical legacy dealerships that Tesla fans love to ridicule. Sure, they will find OP a new car, but how long will that take? Today was his special day, car was damaged, and he's supposed to just take it in stride, and wait patiently for another X? He should be compensated somehow.

Happens all the time with new cars delivery. In fact, in almost every state if the damage is below a threshold (3-6%) of the car's value, they can legally fix the car and sell it to you as new.

Your brand new car might not be completely new after all

At least since it all Tesla are built to order they were up front about the damage.

I feel your disappointment. As others have noted above, it happens with all car manufacturers all the time.

Many moons ago I ordered a Mercedes Benz 260E. At the time there was a >6 month wait. When it was time for delivery, I got a call my car had fallen off the transporter. I would have to wait for 2 months for a new one.

Today I think it might have been some kind of code, perhaps meaning it got stolen. I will never find out.

Much better with Tesla being transparent with what happened and how it is going to be fixed for you. Wish you all the best and you will love the car.

I'm really fearful that the deluge of Model 3 deliveries has hampered their ability to handle long term/faithful customers.

So as as soon as there are viable alternatives they'll jump ship.

How often does accepting a repaired car happen on a $100K car? I can understanding offering to fix it, but not without a good discount on the car. Sure it will be fixed, but its still damaged in your mind.

Overall it appears like they're greatly sacrificing customer care for short term profitability needs, and that's going to come back to bite them.

As an aside I do think it's funny that they backed into another car. The car has 360 sensors, and it beeps A LOT. So I wonder if it was beeping at them when they did this, and they ignored it. The car also has a backup camera.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Ormond
I believe that this is one of the reasons Elon wanted to take the company private. The demands of the shareholders for immediate results gives a hell bent for leather rush for quarterly results.

Tesla is being pulled in two ways. 1. The gotta get to profitability or face derision. 2. Customers expect perfection in every action.

The OP from what I read is more appalled by the lack of professionalism with the way he was told by the Tesla person, not that the car was dinged.

I had a similar customer service experience with the delivery of my X. I found defects throughout such as FWD creaking when opening/closing, chipping in paint, and numerous loose door seals. The sales manager even came out and was curt with me when I brought up the defects as if they had better things to do with their time. They made it seem like I had some kind of perfectionism issue. These were repairable and so I didn’t care whether it was fixed on the spot, but the vibe they gave me was negative. Too bad no other manufacturer yet makes an all electric 6 to 7 seater vehicle.

I have never experienced that kind of attitude when I bought our Honda, Toyota, BMW, and Audis in the past.

Typical apologist attitude, sigh.
OP shouldn't have to temper his frustration because other brands have the same problem. BS. Who cares what other brands do, this is Tesla, this is the future, this is not your typical legacy dealerships that Tesla fans love to ridicule. Sure, they will find OP a new car, but how long will that take? Today was his special day, car was damaged, and he's supposed to just take it in stride, and wait patiently for another X? He should be compensated somehow.
Agree totally. You just spent $100k on a car. If they crashed it into another car, at least have the decency to offer you something. In fact, how many "referrals" is a crashed Model X worth? I'd say at least 5 -> Give the man/woman a power wall for free. Damn!

Thanks for the help everyone. I have a few issues as to why I am upset. The lack of professionalism from a company that positions itself as a premium brand is disappointing. I understand that things happen, but there should be a plan in place for when this happens. My owner advisor has never dealt with this situation and simply doesn’t seem to know what to do aside from search for another car. The delivery manager was polite but he says that he can’t do anything for me other than get the car repaired. There seems to be a big learning opportunity for Tesla to take care of their customers. At the end of the day, we are what keep the company going and it’s our referrals that also help. I’d consider taking the damaged car, but they need to offer me a discount. The delivery manager said that they don’t do that. Why should I pay for a car that cost over 100k that has been damaged by one of their employees? Who at Tesla corporate can I contact as I feel like I am going to get nowhere with the folks I am dealing with?

Attachments

• 697381CD-1DDE-41A8-B522-8E16471B8C70.jpeg
    697381CD-1DDE-41A8-B522-8E16471B8C70.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 6568B301-0088-47D9-B395-583CB083F171.jpeg
    6568B301-0088-47D9-B395-583CB083F171.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Why should I pay for a car that cost over 100k that has been damaged by one of their employees?

not at all trying to sound like a douche, but the answer to your question is because others have all the time. Most states say that dealers do not have to disclose damage that was less than 5-6% the value of the car. They can fix it, and then never have to say a word to you. So its entirely possible a good number of people are driving out there with $100k+ cars that have had damage that was repaired.

Before you escalate to Tesla, what exactly are you looking for? They offered you a repair, or an inventory vehicle (there seems to be a bunch of discounted inventory vehicles in chicago right now according to teslainventory.com). What else are you looking for, compensation? Unless you paid already, you technically don't own the car and Tesla historically does not give compensation for delayed deliveries.

It happens more than you think at all car brands. Accidents happen, don't let it ruin your experience. They will find you a new car.

Absolutely it does.

Just be happy they didn't try and sell it to you and cover it up without you knowing.

It has happened to me too many times to remember. I once went to look at Guilia at a lot. The owner of the lot pulled it in just as I was there. Says it's brand new just pulled it out of storage. Look it over as the owner goes into the facility. I noticed that the rear 1/4 had some orange peel to it. The sales man said that someone backed into it and was painted. The owner of the dealership come back out and I ask him right in front of the sales man. How long ago was the accident? Straight out says. It has never been in an accident. Still denied it even after pointing it out. Sales man just shrugs his shoulders and I leave. Little alarming because this individual owns 4 car dealerships. Chrysler, GM, Alfia Romio and a used dealership.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and neroden
@The A List I don't blame you for being upset. I hate having paint work on my car. Paint isn't easy to match, and sometimes it's easy to spot work. At the very least, you should get a loaner to drive while they find you a replacement.

Lots of inventory cars have discounts, so Tesla should offer you one. That car will be out of service for a while whether you take it or not. I hope matters are resolved to your satisfaction.

Reactions: The A List
not at all trying to sound like a douche, but the answer to your question is because others have all the time. Most states say that dealers do not have to disclose damage that was less than 5-6% the value of the car. They can fix it, and then never have to say a word to you. So its entirely possible a good number of people are driving out there with $100k+ cars that have had damage that was repaired.

Before you escalate to Tesla, what exactly are you looking for? They offered you a repair, or an inventory vehicle (there seems to be a bunch of discounted inventory vehicles in chicago right now according to teslainventory.com). What else are you looking for, compensation? Unless you paid already, you technically don't own the car and Tesla historically does not give compensation for delayed deliveries.

Just because things happen "all the time" doesn't mean it is acceptable. If Elon found out that there was an inconsistency with the way that a car was built, do you think he'd say, it's OK because it happens all the time? The FDA allows a certain amount of insects into our food. Is that still OK? No, it's not. It's OK if some want to be complacent or accept things just because, but I will not. I don't think it's right to do these things to consumers.

Tesla is supposed to be a brand that listens and cares about it's customers. I like many others have spent my hard earned money on a vehicle that I expect to be brand new and without flaws. I expect a premium experience because at this price point, it should be. Having someone call me the way that they did today is not what it should be like. The fact that the several people today didn't know how to handle the situation is not right either. It was like this is the first time that this has ever happened.

For the record, I did put down a decent down payment on the car, so my money is tied into that car. What do I want from this? For them to either find me an exact match of my car and expedite it, or figure out a way to get me a new car ASAP. I am not looking for something that is currently on the lot that I have to settle for with a different configuration. I want the car in the color and with the options that I paid for. If they want me to take possession of the damaged vehicle, then they should absolutely discount it. That is the right thing to do. Either way, I will have to continue to wait.

@The A List I don't blame you for being upset. I hate having paint work on my car. Paint isn't easy to match, and sometimes it's easy to spot work. At the very least, you should get a loaner to drive while they find you a replacement.

Lots of inventory cars have discounts, so Tesla should offer you one. That car will be out of service for a while whether you take it or not. I hope matters are resolved to your satisfaction.
Thank you very much!