TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla crashes into bank in Issaquah

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ChrisH, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Pedal confusion, I'd guess.

3. morbot

morbot Member

Tesla crashes through US Bank brick wall

Maybe he was just unhappy with his financing plan? No injuries to driver or anyone in the bank. - Full Article

150215_tesla_big.jpg

The important thing here is that no one was hurt, this is one solid car, apparently more solid than a brick wall :wink:

We'll see what comes of it, but I'm guessing its a classic case of panic/confusion and smashing the wrong pedal, which can happen in any car. And older gentleman plowed into my dads car last year claiming he had the "brake to the floor"... by the distance he pushed my dad's car, it was the gas he had on the floor.

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Tesla should look at those mirrors while they're at it: the driver's side folded in, but the passenger side did not...

5. lodenthal

lodenthal Member

OK, that looks painful though the Model S doesn't look to be too bad. Impressive...

6. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

wow. Gotta say the car held up well. Not sure that the headline is fair though. What difference does it make if it was a Tesla. Now you are going to have ass-hats claiming the cars have a tendency to drive themselves into walls.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Looks like this driver got mixed up regarding which is the "go" pedal and which is the "no go" pedal. Fortunately for the driver, a Tesla Model S is a lot stronger than a brick wall.

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Huh. And I thought all of the "Tank Mode" comments were purely about the underbelly reinforcement.

Apparently it really is a tank - or at least an APC. Is there an optional cannon turret that I somehow haven't seen yet? :)
    Walter

9. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

What a tank. And clearly he smashed the pedal.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes another topic was started an hour ago about that accident.

11. PlanB

PlanB Banned

What a weak wall.

12. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Ha this is right by me! However I don't like the writeup they did almost makes it sound like "the car did it" vs human error.

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'm betting on "stalk direction" confusion, not pedal confusion. The Drive/Reverse direction on the stalk isn't intuitive; my wife, who drives the Model S only occasionally, has from time to time selected the wrong direction. Fortunately, she has a light foot on the pedal and so always recovers without incident. But if you flipped it into D, thinking you were in R, then gunned it ---

And, wow, it's amazing that the Model S held up so well. Probably totaled, once you add up all the work that will need to be done, but not even the beginnings of "crumple" in the crumple zone.

14. Vger

Vger Active Member

I have myself had that confusion once or twice, but I also have a VERY light touch in parking lots. WAY too many people start too fast from parking spaces, and drive WAY too fast in parking lots. I have learned to drive extremely defensively in parking lots!

15. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Hardly looks like a real brick wall.

@ashley - can you stop by and do a closeup? TIA.
    --

16. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Not to mention... I have learned to *WALK* extremely defensively in parking lots!!!! Especially with all these silent new-fangled 'lectric thingamabobs running around

17. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

18. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

#18 Alysashley79, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    The car has been removed and all is boarded up. I've lived in the area for about 15 years and that bank has been there the entire time. It's real brick. Could've been weak but definately wasn't brick facade that is commonly used on buildings now. There's another pic of the car as it was being pulled out on the Internet looks like just an 85 badge.

i was really hoping to see the front end of it.

it looks like the photo cred was given to a dr (both photos actually) wonder if it's his car.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Some humorous comments seen on Twitter:

"Trying to open a charge account?"
    "Buying a Tesla can break the bank!"
    "The car should be charged with battery!"

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

This is where a back-up beep can be a little helpful, although often the omission means you go forwards by mistake, as in this case.
    Possibly more helpful would be the front radar with crash protection. And an Offed option to limit power on first move after the car was off.