Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla credit card key - who's interested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To obtain enough RF gain as the current Premo antenna and make it thinner, you will need to make the coil much bigger like credit card size and maybe three to five times thicker than a credit card. Just a wild guess, but I would think transforming it into Lexus card size is challenging, to say the least.

Thread's a year old, so I assume you guys all have these working? Ha.

My work ID (credit card size) has RFID and NFC identifiers in it. I would love a card with an RFID identifier that when I got close to the car it opened up/let me drive/etc. Does it need to be as complex (thick) as the Lexus card or have batteries? I guess the issue would be the car would always have to be 'looking' for the card thus draining the battery? Vs the key fob emitting a low signal all the time and waking the car up?

I don't understand the technology very well, clearly, so maybe this isn't how it works. I don't like carrying extra things around, and I know this option wouldn't be interesting to everyone like others have said in the thread. The key isn't that big of deal to carry, but carrying no key is better.

It looks like the Premo antenna is for remote keyless entry:
3DC15 SMD 3D Coil 17.5x16x4 mm (2.47mH - 10mH) - Grupo Premo
I wish I had an extra fob to play with for this. I could design and 3D print something that the electronics could fit into. If some parts like the buttons and NFC antenna could be desoldered from the board, we can make it even thinner. Using a 2016 battery instead of the 2032 would also make it thinner. With a card format, we can even relocated it to the side of the board, if it makes sense.

Does anyone have a spare or dead one I could hack on?

Why do we even need a credit card key - couldn't you just add the NFC credentials to your phone (assuming that the phone supported this)? You can pretty much get away without a key today usint the Tesla app or Remote S app except if you car is no connected to any network.

Why do we even need a credit card key - couldn't you just add the NFC credentials to your phone (assuming that the phone supported this)? You can pretty much get away without a key today usint the Tesla app or Remote S app except if you car is no connected to any network.

I've thought about that, too. I think the credit card key's purpose would be for convenience. Having to click on your phone, open an app, select the Tesla key, and place the phone on your windshield every time is a bit cumbersome, especially compared to just having the normal fob sitting in your pocket.

I've thought about that, too. I think the credit card key's purpose would be for convenience. Having to click on your phone, open an app, select the Tesla key, and place the phone on your windshield every time is a bit cumbersome, especially compared to just having the normal fob sitting in your pocket.
Ideally though you wouldn't have to use your phone any differently then you use your fob. What I am getting it is it would be nice if your phone could "clone" the NFC info that is on your fob. Then your phone works exactly like your fob does for proximity purposes - walk up to the car and it will unlock. The only problem with this is that it isn't possible today for iPhones as Apple doesn't give third parties access to the NFC radio. It might be doable for Android.

The only problem with this is that it isn't possible today for iPhones as Apple doesn't give third parties access to the NFC radio. It might be doable for Android.

Kevo has access to something that works on iPhone 5 and above. From the outside, it works a lot like NFC. Maybe it is a different BTLE profile than the Tesla fob. Or maybe it indicates this can be done, if you are big enough to negotiate with Apple the right way.

Kevo Smart Lock - A Bluetooth Electronic Deadbolt from Kwikset

Ideally though you wouldn't have to use your phone any differently then you use your fob. What I am getting it is it would be nice if your phone could "clone" the NFC info that is on your fob. Then your phone works exactly like your fob does for proximity purposes - walk up to the car and it will unlock. The only problem with this is that it isn't possible today for iPhones as Apple doesn't give third parties access to the NFC radio. It might be doable for Android.

NFC is not how the Tesla key primarily works. Yes, there is an NFC tag in the fob for when the battery goes dead. NFC is for very close communication (Near Field Communication) and that's maybe an inch or two. The transceiver used for keyless entry inside the key fob is very different than what you'll find on any phone.

NFC is not how the Tesla key primarily works. Yes, there is an NFC tag in the fob for when the battery goes dead. NFC is for very close communication (Near Field Communication) and that's maybe an inch or two. The transceiver used for keyless entry inside the key fob is very different than what you'll find on any phone.
Well then I guess I am way off. But it would be nice to be able to use your phone as a key.