Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cripple model S stranding family

Has Tesla gone too far?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those people equating SALVAGE/REBUILT = UNSAFE, I have two simple litmus tests for you to disprove this theory.

1) States that provide REBUILT titles require a DMV inspection for "road worthiness". It's more rigorous in some states than others, but does provide some level of basic safety being met.
2) Insurance companies WILL INSURE a rebuilt title car. Think about that. A car that was PREVIOUSLY totaled, then rebuilt, and insurance companies will insure it. At NO additional premium. These are the guys that work from gigantic actuary tables. They know the statistics.

This shows a complete lack of knowledge of the law regarding automobiles. It's not legal for a manufacturer to remove a "feature" of a car after it has been sold, even if it has been totaled and resold at auction, and even if that feature is "software". It opens Tesla up to a WORLD of hurt legally, and it is a ticking time bomb.

They can refuse warranty work, and refuse even to provide new software updates. But turning off Supercharging, or worse, DC fast charging in general, is setting them up for a nasty class-action.
Wise to disable all DC fast charging if there is a problem with the battery. The "news" would love to have Tesla spontaneous combustion stories.

For those people equating SALVAGE/REBUILT = UNSAFE, I have two simple litmus tests for you to disprove this theory.

1) States that provide REBUILT titles require a DMV inspection for "road worthiness". It's more rigorous in some states than others, but does provide some level of basic safety being met.
2) Insurance companies WILL INSURE a rebuilt title car. Think about that. A car that was PREVIOUSLY totaled, then rebuilt, and insurance companies will insure it. At NO additional premium. These are the guys that work from gigantic actuary tables. They know the statistics.
I think the operative term here is "inspection for road worthiness".

Wise to disable all DC fast charging if there is a problem with the battery. The "news" would love to have Tesla spontaneous combustion stories.

THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE BATTERY.

I love how a guy who obviously has never rebuilt a car assumes that the pack is so fragile.

The pack is THE MOST ROBUST part of these cars. If you are hit hard enough to damage the pack in any MEANINGFUL way, the car will tell you about it. Without doubt, and without fail.

What happens if a non-certified Tesla crashes into a cement wall and catches on fire?

How are the news outlets going to cover this? Who do you think the public is going to blame?

That's exactly how it used to work. If you don't get all your service done by the factory, you lose your warranty.

"Stealerships" will lose their license, and probably their franchise if they do that. Because it is illegal on major car brands.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE BATTERY.

I love how a guy who obviously has never rebuilt a car assumes that the pack is so fragile.

The pack is THE MOST ROBUST part of these cars. If you are hit hard enough to damage the pack in any MEANINGFUL way, the car will tell you about it. Without doubt, and without fail.
If there's no problem with the battery then Tesla should have no problem re-certifying the battery and enabling fast charging.
I agree that if you hit the battery hard enough it will throw a fault. However, if you damage the case, water can leak in and gradually corrode the batteries, connections, electronics, etc. which probably won't throw a fault until it's too late.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
"Salvage cars being a way for people who can't afford them normally isn't really an argument, if you can't afford something you can't buy it, easy as that."

Yeah, then look at the posts above and see their discussion. If you still have a problem I can't help you. They were making the argument that recertifying was too expensive for the people who got salvage cars because they couldn't afford anything else.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
I agree Tesla went too far and this will definitely hurt resale values. If there were an indication of a battery problem then at least notify the person. MANY people rebuild cars and it can be done well and safely.

Tesla rebuilds cars and batteries or subcontracts cars or batteries to be repaired. This is done by humans following a strict procedure.

There is only one way to repair a car officially. It's outlined in the service manual with specifications, tolerances, special tools required, and the approved procedure.

It's either done right, or it's done wrong. Surprise! The factory (all brands) sometimes pooch a repair themselves. At least if it was not an approved repair shop, Tesla is legally off the hook for effects of an incorrect repair. There is no protection if they pooch it in-house.

So you'd think they would be good with aftermarket repairs.

Here in Oregon the only inspection required is that the VIN on the car matches the title you want to get re-branded. (They say that more can be required, but that is my experience.)

If there's no problem with the battery then Tesla should have no problem re-certifying the battery and enabling fast charging.
I agree that if you hit the battery hard enough it will throw a fault. However, if you damage the case, water can leak in and gradually corrode the batteries, connections, electronics, etc. which probably won't throw a fault until it's too late.

Again, you ASSUME - Tesla won't just recert ONE small part. It's all or nothing for them.

At INSANE rates (that 1600/2000 number is just Tesla's fee - there is a MUCH larger fee that the body shop charges to take the car apart and take photos to send to Tesla).

For me, it came out at 25% of the cost of the car. Nucking Futs pricing.

EDIT - do you KNOW what it takes to crack the case of the battery? There is NO POSSIBLE WAY to crack the battery case without huge frame damage around the battery itself. Again, comments from people who have never actually done any of this.

Tesla rebuilds cars and batteries or subcontracts cars or batteries to be repaired. This is done by humans following a strict procedure.

There is only one way to repair a car officially. It's outlined in the service manual with specifications, tolerances, special tools required, and the approved procedure.
And it hurts all of us who drive a Tesla as it SIGNIFICANTLY drives up repair costs. 90% of a Tesla is a standard car that can be fixed with standard tools. Unless you try to disassemble the battery it is not rocket science.

And it hurts all of us who drive a Tesla as it SIGNIFICANTLY drives up repair costs. 90% of a Tesla is a standard car that can be fixed with standard tools. Unless you try to disassemble the battery it is not rocket science.

Agreed. And even most of the battery is not rocket science.

There is a reason I call these "legos for adults". They are far easier to work on that most ICE equivalents. Far simpler design.

Actually I would gather theres not really enough data for the insurance companies about how the risk would differ between a rebuilt car and a not rebuilt car. My guess is companies take one of two stances, either just use the same assumptions as theres too few to care about, or not insure them at all. That's the way I handled the insurance types I was responsible for anyhow.

Actually I would gather theres not really enough data for the insurance companies about how the risk would differ between a rebuilt car and a not rebuilt car. My guess is companies take one of two stances, either just use the same assumptions as theres too few to care about, or not insure them at all. That's the way I handled the insurance types I was responsible for anyhow.

Your assumption is incorrect. I have family in the insurance industry. Insurance companies know, they know very well.

Obviously, there are companies which simply refuse to insure salvage vehicles.

However, even if someone gets insurance that doesn't mean much. It might be only liability only insurance and no collision. Or even if they do get collision insurance, and even get a decent premium, if they ever have to file a claim, they might find out that the claim payment is absurdly low.

Status
Not open for further replies.