Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cross-Country Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two cars, probably in case one ends up getting a flat or something. There are chase cars in case something happens to one of the cars, and to house the film crew, and possibly to fix problems with superchargers if there are any. There probably aren't 19 people, I think I heard somewhere in the low teens rather than high teens when I asked at the event last night, but that includes the film crew and drivers for support vehicles. Remember that they will be driving around the clock here and not stopping in hotels or anything, so that also includes people sleeping.

It seems like a lot, but considering they want to go as fast as they can, want to cover all contingencies and they want to use it for marketing purposes, I get it.

Not sure what kind of message Tesla is trying to send to the public, but I wouldn't be surprised if the State of Colorado's Governor or something came out and said "Whatever stunt you're trying to pull in the middle of dangerous winter storm conditions, cut it out, this is not setting the right example for anyone".

I mean, sure, who does this kind of thing in the middle of winter? Seems kind of crazy to me. Glad Elon had enough sense not to attempt his own trip in January. But then, Colorado can have sudden snow storms in May, so we'll see how wise it is to try a northern-route cross-country trip during "Spring Break"...

BfSRt--CMAIcuHG.jpg

Last edited:
At the Hawthorne send-off event I was told: two Model S, fifteen drivers total, two per Model S at any one time. A support van (which we did not see at Hawthorne) was to carry non-drivers of the support team and provide bunks for off-duty sleeping (I talked to the blogger, Hamish, who said he was not driving). And there were, I believe, three people in the camera SUV (which led the rally cars out of Hawthorne).

Not sure what kind of message Tesla is trying to send to the public, but I wouldn't be surprised if the State of Colorado's Governor or something came out and said "Whatever stunt you're trying to pull in the middle of dangerous winter storm conditions, cut it out, this is not setting the right example for anyone".

I mean, sure, who does this kind of thing in the middle of winter? Seems kind of crazy to me. Glad Elon had enough sense not to attempt his own trip in January. But then, Colorado can have sudden snow storms in May, so we'll see how wise it is to try a northern-route cross-country trip during "Spring Break"...

View attachment 42242

Looks to to like they are parked on the side of the road. I seriously doubt they would be tailgating in a blizzard with cameras around. The bosses are likely watching

Or maybe they were just waiting for roads to be cleared and opened up before continuing.

> I wouldn't be surprised if the State of Colorado's Governor or something came out and said "Whatever stunt you're trying to pull in the middle of dangerous winter storm conditions, cut it out, this is not setting the right example for anyone". [brianstorms]

LOL!!
--

Catch Tesla LA-NY Trip Team

Note: This event is crossposted in Midwest forum. Please head over to link below for planning.

Catch Tesla LA-NY Trip Team

Tesla team was heading towards Cheyenne, WY at 700 am. So they are roughly 1000 miles/15 hours away from Rockford, IL. There are 11 supercharger stations in between, we can count atleast an hour for each, so I think they are atleast 24 hours away from Chicago. They will most likely reach Chicago tomorrow morning. This is all presuming they are posting pics right away, which I don't think so. They will reach Toledo around noon. They will be on I-90 corridor in early morning.

Should we organize a meet at Rockford, Mishawaka, Maumee and Macedonia supercharger at following times? Note the overlapping times. I am sure we will be able to catch them. Would be wonderful if a group which catches them can notify the group ahead.

(1) Rockford - 700 to 900 am
(2) Mishawaka - 800 to 1000 am
(3) Maumee - 1000 am to 100 pm
(4) Macedonia - 100 pm to 300 pm

Tomorrow is Saturday and can afford to waste time. Only problem is the weather again. Just wanted to know what everybody thinks before we plan something.

Tesla team was heading towards Cheyenne, WY at 700 am. So they are roughly 1000 miles/15 hours away from Rockford, IL. There are 11 supercharger stations in between, we can count atleast an hour for each, so I think they are atleast 24 hours away from Chicago. They will most likely reach Chicago tomorrow morning. This is all presuming they are posting pics right away, which I don't think so. They will reach Toledo around noon. They will be on I-90 corridor in early morning.

I think that the time for each Supercharger is probably 20-30 minutes, but they are going for the total charge time record, not total time. OTOH, the desire to reduce charge time will mean slower drive speeds and more time on the highway.

Wow, they apparently made it through the mountains without stopping. Nice.

Where are people getting this kind of information? Facebook and the TM blog page are way behind. Real-time info should be routinely available in this day and age.

BTW, I-25 is still closed between Wellington and the Wyoming border in northern CO, according to the CDOT website.

Where are people getting this kind of information? Facebook and the TM blog page are way behind. Real-time info should be routinely available in this day and age.

BTW, I-25 is still closed between Wellington and the Wyoming border in northern CO.

Their last Twitter update was 3 hours ago, and said that they were making progress toward Cheyenne, WY. Implication there is that they are past the Colorado Superchargers and presumably through Denver if they are heading north.

There was a gentleman here, a Model S owner who had *live* realtime position updated during his trip from Atlanta to NH. That was great to watch his progress real time as a moving dot on the map.

Why can't Tesla do that for this rally?

Also it seems not a great idea to do this in peak of winter. Perhaps late spring around April would have been the ideal time ?

There was a gentleman here, a Model S owner who had *live* realtime position updated during his trip from Atlanta to NH. That was great to watch his progress real time as a moving dot on the map.

Why can't Tesla do that for this rally?

Also it seems not a great idea to do this in peak of winter. Perhaps late spring around April would have been the ideal time ?

I'm sure they want to maintain the ability to control the message, hence any real-time viewing would be quite risky.

I'm sure they want to maintain the ability to control the message, hence any real-time viewing would be quite risky.

Bingo, what I was thinking, but it would have been so much cooler and gutsy with a real-time tracker.

- - - Updated - - -

At the Hawthorne send-off event I was told: two Model S, fifteen drivers total, two per Model S at any one time. A support van (which we did not see at Hawthorne) was to carry non-drivers of the support team and provide bunks for off-duty sleeping (I talked to the blogger, Hamish, who said he was not driving). And there were, I believe, three people in the camera SUV (which led the rally cars out of Hawthorne).

I realize that this is a corporate show-off thing and all, but part of me is disappointed with this. And really really glad that John & Jill were the first to do this trip on superchargers. That just seemed more real and "honest" (for lack of a better word).

They have the technology, so they must have deliberately chosen not to post. Perhaps worried about Haters trying to stop them, too much media intervention, or even too many fans just slowing them down.

I am sure Tesla is watching this real time, they just haven't posted to public. Maybe they will post a map with actual data logs in final press release at the end to show proof, and they want to save data for that?

Note: to more concise posts said what I did while I was typing....