Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cross-Country Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Maumee is the next stop? I hope some of you can make it there, though the weather is awful. I won't be able to make it tonight, but I'll try to follow along on Twitter.

Unfortunately its as if they don't want any visitors. When they twitted they were on their way to Chicago I asked for an ETA. Almost everyone else that twitted them got an answer except for me...

Yes, I read some of the other posts just now and their communication does seem pretty strange. I don't think the visitors/greeters should slow them down at all. They're already there, waiting for the Tesla team, and they do have to wait some time for the car to charge back up. I don't think there would be any delays and instead they are great PR opportunities for the company, especially in the areas that don't get much Tesla attention.

Careful what you put out there as fact...they most certainly have skipped AT LEAST TWO superchargers that I know of (Madison and Rockford).

I know you are a little bruised, and I would've been too, but this was fact as of 2 am CST this morning. I discussed this in detail with one of the crew members. Obviously something happened to change their plans / minds at Mauston. It could be anything: engineering wanting them to validate the route planning software when skipping one or more SpC, trying to stay ahead of the snow, wanting to avoid the media, etc. etc. etc.

There was a flurry of activity starting about 10 minutes before the cars arrived to the moment they left. They were NOT sitting around waiting for the charge to complete. They have a video crew, and my guess is that they would rather do the filming than be interrupted and interviewed by the media.

Last edited:
I know you are a little bruised, and I would've been too, but this was fact as of 2 am CST this morning. I discussed this in detail with one of the crew members. Obviously something happened to change their plans / minds at Mauston. It could be anything: engineering wanting them to validate the route planning software when skipping one or more SpC, trying to stay ahead of the snow, wanting to avoid the media, etc. etc. etc.

There was a flurry of activity starting about 10 minutes before the cars arrived to the moment they left. They were NOT sitting around waiting for the charge to complete. They have a video crew, and my guess is that they would rather do the filming than be interrupted and interviewed by the media.

IMO inviting the media to Madison probably crossed the line.

BS...They skipped TWO superchargers and no one invited the media. I love how people post @#@$$ on here as fact that isn't.

There is absolutely no way they were hitting every supercharger at 70 mile distances in their plan...ever.

It is unfortunate that they have skipped some SCs and may skip another one or two on route to NYC. Probably should leave it at that or we will all wind up in the 'snippiness' thread.

Anyone else guestimating a 2am-ish arrival at City Hall in NYC? My guess is they skip the Hagerstown stop since there is only 240 mi from Somerset to Newark (only 226 if they go through Harrisburg instead). Looked like they hit Macedonia near the twitter posting of 5.48pm since it was dark, and NOAA claims sunset there is ~5.40pm. Google lists 540 miles Macedonia-Sumerset-Newark-City Hall NYC. It would be 7.75 hrs at 70mph, plus ~0.5hrs X 2 stops. As a minimum 2.30am?

BTW- I'm only guessing City Hall because it is consistent with their LA departure.

- - - Updated - - -

NYC City Hall is confirmed... http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/cross-country-rally-day-three

Anyone else guestimating a 2am-ish arrival at City Hall in NYC? My guess is they skip the Hagerstown stop since there is only 240 mi from Somerset to Newark (only 226 if they go through Harrisburg instead). Looked like they hit Macedonia near the twitter posting of 5.48pm since it was dark, and NOAA claims sunset there is ~5.40pm. Google lists 540 miles Macedonia-Sumerset-Newark-City Hall NYC. It would be 7.75 hrs at 70mph, plus ~0.5hrs X 2 stops. As a minimum 2.30am?

BTW- I'm only guessing City Hall because it is consistent with their LA departure.

- - - Updated - - -

NYC City Hall is confirmed... Cross Country Rally: Day Three | Blog | Tesla Motors

Not sure about your math. Drive time (straight) from Macedonia to Newark is about 7 hours, not including stops. Then another 2.5 hours to NYC from Newark. Also, I think the posting of 5:48 is Cali time zone. 8:48 on east Coast. Yes/No?

Cali time zone would make sense. Looks like sunset happened during their photo at Maumee. So, if they hit Maumee at 5:40pm EST, then Google shows 654mi to City Hall. Optimistically traveling at 70mph this would take 9hrs 20min. Add 3 stops at an optimistic 0.5hrs ea, and its 10hrs 50min. So, 4:30am sound better?

1381 Perrysburg Holland Rd, Maumee, OH 43537 to New York City Hall - Google Maps

Closer. I expect them in Newark about 3am and NYC about 6am. Just my estimation. I will try to catch them in Newark and post once they leave. No promises as I may not have the energy to meet them.

@AIMc Which way are you leaning on Hagerstown?
To make it to Newark by 3am they would bypass Hagerstown. Direct Somerset to Newark. If they stop at Hagerstown add 1-1.5 hours to total trip. Newark at 4-4:30 and NYC 7-7:30

If they are trying for minimal charge time (which is stated goal) I would bypass Hagerstown and save that 20-30 min charge. That is me. Seems they are in constant contact with headquarters and make decisions on the run. Will be interested in arrive/depart time at Somerset.

Same assumption on my end. Since they can get 170miles range in 30 minutes, and google only shows 2hrs 4mins from Newark to City Hall, I would think City Hall is possibly 2.5 hrs from arrival at Newark. Just enough time for me to shoot down from the Hartford area...which is totally nuts. But, this is historic! No promises here either!

Forgetting the "speed record", Both this trip and the one done earlier by myfairlady goes to prove many things about Tesla's and disprove many other things.

Cold weather performance affecting driving range - Superchargers have been spaced out to prevent issues and in some cases can be easily skipped
Driving conditions in the wind/snow/rain/sleet/whatever is very much doable and likely fairs better than almost all other cars out there.
Superchargers work just as well in the cold as anything else.

What else am I missing here?

Can you get across the country in 2 days? well, no, not yet. Even in perfect conditions I would think this would be a tough cookie to crack. But I would think we will get there eventually. It seems like the naysayers are running out of things to complain about. First it was, I don't have enough range to make it to work and back. Then, well I can go to work I just can't do anything else. Next came the well it is great around the city I just can't travel anywhere. Next it was, recharging takes far too long (pre-superchargers). Now they are up to, oh yeah? you made the trip in 4 days, well I can make it in 2!

Who seriously drives across the country that frequently and with THAT MUCH URGENCY, that THAT would be the reason they wouldn't buy the car? You have to be like 1% of the 1% of the drivers out there.

... Now they are up to, oh yeah? you made the trip in 4 days, well I can make it in 2!

Who seriously drives across the country that frequently and with THAT MUCH URGENCY, that THAT would be the reason they wouldn't buy the car? You have to be like 1% of the 1% of the drivers out there.

Exactly.

Back in the day, every 3 to 4 years, my parents would drive to see all of our relatives in Adel and Renwick Iowa. With us 3 (fidgety) boys in the back seat, Mom and Dad (wisely) took 3 days to make this 1800 mile trek. I think only once did they try and do it in two. And that's crossing only 2/3 of the country.

Can't imagine trying to drive even a 3,000 mile route in two. Not sure a 3,600 mile route is really doable.