Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CTO on Energy Storage: ‘We Should All Be Thinking Bigger’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see where this has been posted. This is too good of an article to not post:

Tesla CTO on Energy Storage: : Greentech Media

Some interesting tidbits:

Scaling up with the Giga factory

"Maybe this whole group is not thinking in large enough scale for the market size of energy storage."
Straubel said that it doesn't require "too much napkin math" to see how 500,000 Gen 3 vehicles per year from the existing Fremont factory will start adding up to gigawatt-hours of battery requirements. Tesla expects to use almost 10 percent of global lithium-ion battery capacity today with its 3 or 4 gigawatt-hours of consumption. Tesla's expected volumes by 2020 "break the model for lithium-ion capacity," said the CTO.
The CTO spoke of attacking the battery's cost with the Giga factory by "doubling the worldwide capacity in a single factory and reinventing the supply chain." He said that Tesla would be "breaking ground in the next few weeks." A total of 35 gigawatt-hours of cell production from the new plant will be devoted to meeting the needs of the Fremont plant, and 15 gigawatt-hours will be devoted to stationary battery packs. Straubel said that Tesla was "bullish" about the California energy storage mandate. Straubel also said he was bullish that stationary energy storage "can scale faster than automotive."

Stationary storage integrating renewables

"We are an energy innovation company as much as a car company."
That was Straubel's response when asked why Tesla is involved in stationary energy storage. He said that residential battery packs have the "same architecture" as vehicle batteries.
He noted that since last year, a 2 megawatt-hour battery pack has been helping to manage loads at the Fremont Tesla factory, managing 10 percent of peak demand. "It's still a small pack," said Straubel. "The scale we need to operate on is so much bigger than that." The installation will be expanded to 4 megawatt-hours in the next three to four months.
"We've started piloting these applications," said the CTO, pointing out that there is a 400 kilowatt-hour battery pack at the Tejon Ranch supercharger site in Southern California. The "supercharger is the perfect application for energy storage" with its "incredibly peaky load," he added.

I like that "peaky" is being used as an adjective. :D

Wow. 4 megawatt-hour pack. That would eliminate any range anxiety:)

Since there isn't any solar I think at the factory do they just charge it up at off peak rates and use it as needed to avoid peak charges?

The commercial energy storage units are particularly interesting IMO. Tesla already has deployed 5 of them (400kWh each) and will add 5 more in the next 3-4 months. If these units save money for Tesla (reducing peak energy load) compared to the cost of the units, then this will have a market and it's something that most people aren't expecting for another several years.

straubel1.jpg

Straubel2.jpg

straubel3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see where this has been posted. This is too good of an article to not post:

Tesla CTO on Energy Storage: : Greentech Media

Some interesting tidbits:

Thanks for posting the article link. I just talked/emailed the conference organizers and they say the video of JB Straubel's talk should be up on YouTube next week on their channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/JointVentureSV/videos

Looking forward to watching that video. Thanks Dave for doing the legwork

JB's talk is up!

Great talk as usual from JB - learned a lot. Keep in mind it's geared towards a grid-storage crowd.

Wonder if Tesla will spin off "Tesla Energy Storage Inc." at some point... obviously that's a very capital intense business so splitting with Tesla (and its access to capital) wouldn't make sense for the moment, but grid storage will be such a huge market it could be a big distraction from cars...

JB's talk is up!

Great talk as usual from JB - learned a lot. Keep in mind it's geared towards a grid-storage crowd.

Wonder if Tesla will spin off "Tesla Energy Storage Inc." at some point... obviously that's a very capital intense business so splitting with Tesla (and its access to capital) wouldn't make sense for the moment, but grid storage will be such a huge market it could be a big distraction from cars...

I think in the in the next decade or two it will remain two integrated business units, energy storage and automotive. It would be funny if they pull an Apple Computer -> Apple and someday rename to Tesla Inc. then far down the road after that when Elon/JB are gone the energy storage becomes dominant and they spin off its automotive unit as Tesla Motors Inc. again.

My basic understanding of of the numbers tells me that the commercial energy storage 400kWh unit should have about 30,000 cells inside. That's really a huge number of cells...

I'm wondering if gigiafactory will produce a larger battery format. In everyday layman's terms, if the model s using a AA format, do you think it would make sense to increase size to something a bit larger in diameter like a C format battery. Wouldn't that cut in half the number of individual cells needed for the cars and commercial while also maintaining their bundling and segmentation that allows for temperature control and the other fancy stuff...

I'm out of my league here on the battery conversation (and I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death) but JB says we are not thinking "big" enough... And I don't see the logic in building more of the old format when it was originally selected in part due to economy of scale/low cost due to global demand and supply. Since they are going to have economy of scale on any format they choose, it feels like they will step up with GF to a larger size without compromising all their IP.

I'm wondering if gigiafactory will produce a larger battery format. In everyday layman's terms, if the model s using a AA format, do you think it would make sense to increase size to something a bit larger in diameter like a C format battery. Wouldn't that cut in half the number of individual cells needed for the cars and commercial while also maintaining their bundling and segmentation that allows for temperature control and the other fancy stuff...

I'm out of my league here on the battery conversation (and I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death) but JB says we are not thinking "big" enough... And I don't see the logic in building more of the old format when it was originally selected in part due to economy of scale/low cost due to global demand and supply. Since they are going to have economy of scale on any format they choose, it feels like they will step up with GF to a larger size without compromising all their IP.

Everyone is so fixated on size! :)

Did you watch the entire video? In it he specifically addresses the cell size issue - it's not a performance driver in any way - so no need to get hung up about it. Same with the worries over lithium supplies, which also seems to cause us lay-people to become worry-worts.

That's what I love about Tesla (or any of EMs companies actually) ... what you usually hear from them is the actual, well-researched, truth of the situation.

Everyone is so fixated on size! :)

Did you watch the entire video? In it he specifically addresses the cell size issue - it's not a performance driver in any way - so no need to get hung up about it. Same with the worries over lithium supplies, which also seems to cause us lay-people to become worry-worts.

That's what I love about Tesla (or any of EMs companies actually) ... what you usually hear from them is the actual, well-researched, truth of the situation.

I posted before I watched the whole video. I just saw that part and he also said he thought a slightly larger size is optimal.

JB Straubel's keynote at 2014 Energy Storage Symposium

There's already a discussion thread on this, but I thought I'd post a link in the Videos section because this is a great video by JB Straubel on Tesla's approach to energy storage. A must-see for investors and those looking to understand Tesla better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that was with good intentions, but cross posting is against the forum rules. Please do not make work for the moderators.

I figured that a link in the Videos section would be helpful as there are people who look for Tesla-related videos in that section to view and would not have know about the video otherwise. But I'm not a mod and I'm more than willing to go with whatever rules are set up. Sorry for any inconvenience.

There's nice linearity to how grid storage can develop in places like HI, other islands, and third world markets where fuel oil is actually still predominantly used. The bogie is $.30-.40/kwh in them. Barclays noted a $.22/kwh rate as the amortized cost of batteries ($250/kwh, 14kwh over 10yrs) and panels (9kw, over 25yrs). I am assuming we knew they downgraded the American utility sector last week, to underweight? It had a lot to do with this very topic.

Residential is where the traction comes from, IMO, as homeowners aren't saddled to transmission and all sorts of other O&M costs. "grid as back up" charges are the future. Flat utility charges, regardless of consumption, and other adversarial self-inflicted utility policies will hasten a drive for independent generation/consumption. Yes, I look at the grid a lot.

2:1 rough auto / storage giga production is news to me. I thought the second-use pipeline was how this was going to go. I also wonder what the QC rate is on 18650s, and if some have ended up in the 2MWH they have going? Fascinating stuff.