Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla current owner priority - "current" at reservation time, or configuration time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jottor

Nov 18, 2017
USA
Apologies if this has been covered here before - I scanned many posts, but I didn't see a definitive answer. I think the consensus seems to be that you need to be a current owner at configuration time, but I can't see how this works, exactly. Does everyone in a certain reservation date range (and geographic area?) get invited to configure at the same time, but then the current Tesla owners get priority from that group?

Or do we just not know yet, because Tesla haven't specified the process exactly, and there haven't been enough Model 3 deliveries out the door yet to really tell?

Thanks!

...not know yet...

Priority protocol has been there all along and we know its general framework but we don't know its exact steps.

The idea is to encourage non-Tesla to buy a more expensive Roadster, S, X rather than a cheaper price Model 3.

So at reservation time on 3/31/2016, if you did not have any Roadster, S, X , Tesla still wants you to do that while you are waiting for Model 3.

I think the consensus seems to be that you need to be a current owner at configuration time ...
The priority affects when you are asked to configure, meaning that those with priority get to configure sooner so you need to be an owner prior to be asked to configure in order to asked to configure sooner. There have been plenty of people that have purchased their first Tesla since reserving and have had their delivery estimate moved up.

AAAARRRGH Why did you get a bump and not me? What's your reservation date?
A lot of other people have reported not getting a priority bump after purchasing. You need to make sure both your reservation and current Tesla are under the same myTesla account. If they are and you still haven't received a bump you should call Tesla customer service and see if they can help you, I've heard of others doing the same and getting it resolved.

A lot of other people have reported not getting a priority bump after purchasing. You need to make sure both your reservation and current Tesla are under the same myTesla account. If they are and you still haven't received a bump you should call Tesla customer service and see if they can help you, I've heard of others doing the same and getting it resolved.
Yep, we were very careful to make sure that the reservation and the new purchase were on the same account.