Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla customer purchase hell on a new car, i need advice please!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can live with the a kerbed wheel and a defective light until its fixed, rest of car is great, what i cant live with is having my new new model x sat on my drive because DVLA says this and Tesla are so incompetent not having done it for me and i also i have no way to tax it my self.

I haven't been able to drive it for 3 days since i got home because i cant tax it.

Shocking

Untitled.jpg

Tax due 23/12/2019 so its been registered and iirc you cannot register it without taxing it. Are the rest of the details correct?

As many people have said, that public facing screen seems to take a working day or so to update. I would expect overnight updates to be common on these systems. I am sure it will all come good. I would only be concerned if that system didn't have any record of your car, but since it does, at this point, if your other details look correct, I would say at very least your car is fine. And I say that as a very cautious guy. I would say by this time tomorrow, it will be showing and if not, a call to DVLA to double check.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax said:
Check if a vehicle is taxed

Find out if a vehicle has up-to-date vehicle tax or has been registered as off the road (SORN). It can take up to 5 working days for the records to update.

My bold.

Tax due 23/12/2019 so its been registered and iirc you cannot register it without taxing it. Are the rest of the details correct?

As many people have said, that public facing screen seems to take a working day or so to update. I would expect overnight updates to be common on these systems. I am sure it will all come good. I would only be concerned if that system didn't have any record of your car, but since it does, at this point, if your other details look correct, I would say at very least your car is fine. And I say that as a very cautious guy. I would say by this time tomorrow, it will be showing and if not, a call to DVLA to double check.

My bold.

A little strange, thought you would have had a 69 plate if you got it after September?

Would not put it past Tesla to mess things up, so not ruling that out even though it does say up to 5 working days to show up on their systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: J1mbo
Also as its Heathrow most will be able to guess what the first 2 letters will be and that car doesn't exist on the system so I'm thinking this whole thread is now a joke.
Interesting observation.
And as described in earlier comments, the tax check database does not synchronise promptly with the DVLA's transactions and should not be relied upon. When I paid for my tax online recently it took about a week before it stopped showing as an untaxed vehicle in the online checker. AFAIK cars can't be registered without being taxed so the car, if it is real, must also be taxed.

Interesting observation.
And as described in earlier comments, the tax check database does not synchronise promptly with the DVLA's transactions and should not be relied upon. When I paid for my tax online recently it took about a week before it stopped showing as an untaxed vehicle in the online checker. AFAIK cars can't be registered without being taxed so the car, if it is real, must also be taxed.

Yes granted what I meant we can guess the reg number and it doesn't show anything that matches that screenshot above comes up with error, so that screenshot could be a fake. I of course could be wrong about the first 2 letters but that combined with the 19 makes the whole thread seem like a troll.

I also believe this is a fake screenshot as if anyone checks their own tax it will say the 1st of the month not a specific day, I'm all for calling out Tesla but it had better be the truth and not some fake trolling!

Last edited:
No the cars are nowhere near this for quite a few. Without proper factory or arrival checks these cars could be leaving the showroom unsafe i.e. without lights working etc. Playing russian roulette with customers here its terrible just to sell as many as possible.

Sorry to read this but it matches my experiences so far.
The equity markets require it to be like this though, investors want to see as many deliveries as quickly as possible.

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
I also believe this is a fake screenshot as if anyone checks their own tax it will say the 1st of the month not a specific day

If you buy a pre owned car, the tax is due the day that you purchase.

I think this is a pre owned/registered car. The onus is on the purchaser to tax the car on day of purchase, but seller can do it on their behalf. When I bought a pre registered car (4 miles on clock, never been on road) I had to tax the car whilst sitting in the dealership. Can't remember what paperwork I needed, but certainly V5 was not in my name at that point. I would imagine that this is an everyday occurrence for many car dealerships.

You shouldn't judge a company on problems as they can happen to the best of us, what matters is how they resolve the issues...

agree - my Tesla pickup (inventory) was a total clusterf* from the outset.
Tesla lied repeatedly to me pre-sales and now subsequently totally refuse to even respond to emails about missing parts. So no issues are being resolved.
Make your own judgement as you will.
I know I have - based on my and apparently many others experiences the manager at West Drayton needs to be replaced.

Sadly (as a once huge supporter of Tesla and Elon's mission I actually mean this in spite of my personal hideous experiences) a business acquaintance of mine who was so taken by a drive in mine that he cancelled his Taycan order and ordered a MS P100D instead; now as a result of seeing the pain I went (still am going) through he has now gone back to Porsche. He's got a ton of money and would have just ticked every option, so that's £100K+ sale just thrown away. Stupid Tesla, just plain stupid.

More sadly I find I can no longer hand of heart recommend Tesla to anyone.
I'll happily extol the virtues of the cars if asked, but beyond that it is caveat emptor.

Tesla can no longer be considered a "new company" and whilst their achievements are phenomenal, slap-dash quality and atrocious customer care just don't cut it with purchases of this value, and such failings are increasingly damaging the brand.

I think this is a pre owned/registered car. The onus is on the purchaser to tax the car on day of purchase, but seller can do it on their behalf. When I bought a pre registered car (4 miles on clock, never been on road) I had to tax the car whilst sitting in the dealership. Can't remember what paperwork I needed, but certainly V5 was not in my name at that point. I would imagine that this is an everyday occurrence for many car dealerships.

I picked up my ex-demo Model X on 23rd Dec from Birmingham (great delivery experience), which was a 19 plate as well (but is Raven!). They advised me to tax it when I picked up. It was a bit annoying as I wasn’t expecting it, but on reflection is expected nowadays for a pre-registered car. They gave me the V5 number so I could tax it, but this was from a computer screen rather than a paper version

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo

Fair enough would explain it but the op did say it was new not preowned.

Sorry my fault i should have been more clear yes its a new car but pre reg, an ex demonstrator hence the 19 plate. My problem is Tesla did not give me any paperwork, so its impossible for me to tax it without the green slip, someone has screwed up here at West Drayton.

• Love
Reactions: Rooster6655