Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA Customer Service – Lack of Oversight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with Max that there may be other factors involved on whether the customer takes the car in or if Tesla comes to it. I don't think that belongs in this list of complaints.

But I otherwise agree with the OP that lack of oversight is likely the issue. To help stay "lean", Tesla tries to hire great people, and then lets them do their thing without much in the way of monitoring or guidance. (I did a brief contract stint and saw this first-hand). This is great as long as all of the hires are really good, and most of them are. But sometimes things in one area can have problems, either because an employee is not capable, or is just plain overrun with too much work (which sometimes their supervisors ignore longer than they should, because part of their job is to not spend money on more people unless they have to). Sometimes you do have to run it up the chain to get it noticed.

I would hope you don't have to run it very far; in general you don't so I am disappointed in the response that the OP got from his call to corporate. I agree it's worth pushing it higher (sorry I don't have contact info though). Tesla really does want customers to have a great experience, but any company growing this fast is going to have issues in some places. They need to make sure they are not growing so fast that they can't correct them quickly.

WOW ........ someone finally sees what I'm complaining about!

The regional manager (Alberto Cortines) wouldn't return my requests for assistance. Next step, Tesla's HelpDesk. After sending TJ Meyer-Martin (head of Tesla's Customer Service group in Fremont, CA) my list of issues generated from the Orlando Service Center experience. TJ would not respond to my written request for support when dealing with the Orlando Center for future service actions? Hence the title of my post, " TESLA Customer Service – Lack of Oversight?".

How would I share this experience with Elon (he is too busy working on more important things) or someone in high authority a Tesla that would listen to the facts and possibly take action to improve Tesla's customer service system? When I asked to speak to TJ's supervisor, TJ told me he was in charge of the Corporation and no one of higher authority was available!

Please provide some guidance ......... who should I contact (names, e-mail addresses, etc.)?
you can just send it to me in an PM. Happy to listen and help.

Tesla has a forum connected to their website that I thought I'd heard people here say is monitored/read by Tesla. Posting there might get it seen. You could also PM some of the longer standing members of this forum, relay your experience and one them likely has an e-mail address for a higher up Tesla exec. Bonnie (on this forum) I believe might have some contact information. Send her a PM and either tell her what happened or direct her to this thread. You can also write a blog and link to it from Elon's Twitter page. There have been a number of owners who have written letters to Elon that he's later posted on the Tesla website (like letters about experiences with their cars).

I sincerely appreciate your reply and valuable guidance! Thanks so much ..........

Phillip,

I am having an issue in Illinois - Long story short, they are not honoring referral credit. Could you please advise how I reach this TJ person in corporate? Thanks so much! I am not sure i will get notified if you post it. If you could possibly e-mail it to me - [email protected] (his e-mail address and/or phone number) I would REALLY appreciate it!
thanks in advance!
Ron

Phillip,

I am having an issue in Illinois - Long story short, they are not honoring referral credit. Could you please advise how I reach this TJ person in corporate? Thanks so much! I am not sure i will get notified if you post it. If you could possibly e-mail it to me - [email protected] (his e-mail address and/or phone number) I would REALLY appreciate it!
thanks in advance!
Ron
You can get emails from any thread by watching it with email notification. Posting personal data is probably not the best idea...

One way to see if you can get an answer from Tesla would be just to call Customer Support and see what they say. A ‘face to face’ (vs email) interaction sometimes works wonders (no guarantee, of course!).

In a location with only one SC close-ish, I also would like to know the details.... I think a lot of us don't have many options if their 'close' SC turns out to be a dud, for whatever definitions of that term!

If you're talking about the new Richmond Service Center, I can tell you those guys are very good. Had a 12v battery replacement there this month. Done right, done on time, professional through and through. I was told they moved a couple of their best Tysons Corner techs to Richmond to make sure it opened with the right quality and experience of staff.

I'm closing in on my 62.5k mile service and talked with them about it when they replaced my battery. Tech gave me advice about scheduling the service (hearing the whine noise that may mean my drive unit needs replacement- advised to show up early to do a test drive with a tech), that it will take a long time so they'd offer a loaner if I scheduled far enough in advance, just little detail stuff like that. Nothing like this Orlando story. Which is really disappointing to hear. My experience thus far with service in VA has been exemplary.

Sorry the OP is having these troubles but bringing them to light is the smartest thing he can do.

Just saw this post about Orlando(FL) store. In my opinion, they were almost incompetent in how they dealt with me. Every lack of customer service toward me was only met by excuses. My DS completely dropped the ball on several occasions resulting in my telling them I would cancel my order unless the "manager" called me. When he called me he merely reiterated the excuses and apologized. The next interaction was also very mishandled. Again everyone I talked to, including the same "manager", simply offered excuses that were beneath a professional explanation.

Everything was someone else's problem, items to be mailed to me (FL registration) weren't. When my Temp. Tag expired and I received nothing from the dealer, I called them and left phone messages in their Sales #, Service #, and my DS's number (Orlando does not ever answer their phones; all go to voicemail always). I called the national sales number and spoke to someone who promised to get back to me in 48 hours. I asked how I was supposed to drive my car in the meantime. My car had to sit until Orlando could have someone who worked in the Service Dept. and who happened to live near me, drop off a new Temp. Tag, ON HIS WAY HOME. Such a lack of professionalism. I have no confidence in Tesla Orlando what-so-ever. Unfortunately they are the only store within 80-90 miles, one way. In my business, I would have fired the manager based on the second event that was so mishandled, and I told him so when he explained that he was training the employees himself. When the boss appears to be untrained and unprofessional how can the employees be expected to be any better.