TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla customer service miss & bad PR

Discussion in 'Model X' started by haid, Jan 21, 2016.

1. haid

haid Member

"Tesla turns out to be the new Verizon, hey, who knew?"

I heard this listening to a popular geek podcast, "This Week in Google". Leo repeated a bad customer service experience as he was trying to configure his Model X. You can find it at time index of 44:30 of expisode 336

This Week in Google 336 Penguin Awareness Day | TWiT

Someone at Tesla should call him and try to be more responsive. Not that it should matter, but he does have a podcasting network that reaches hundreds of thousands weekly.

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Yeah, he got some things wrong and if he was a member of this forum, he would have had all his questions answered.

3. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

He can have fun with his Ford GT.

4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Vandacca: I think you are missing the point. He is asking genuine questions that anyone who is not a Teslarian would ask:

- Can I test drive? - No
    - Can I look at the colors in an actual X? - No
    - Do you know when it will arrive - don't know
    - Can i schedule it so that it arrives in Sep when my lease ends - don't know

But he has only one week to configure and commit himself to buying it or risk losing $5K. And he rightly thinks that is stupid.

He took a pot shot with incorrect information, that Tesla suing the German company on doors means those doors have problems and not working properly. That was the last straw and he is going to cancel it

5. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I totally agree with you. However, I have watched both TWIG and TWIT for many years, so I know what Leo is like. He is good at channeling the every-day man (which he did in that segment), but he is also a really techy person who likes to dive into the technology. He has the skills to get the right answers and I just wonder if he was just trying to tell a good, entertaining story rather than educating his audience with the correct facts.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Why would he have only one week to confirgure? YOu only get one week to change your order, but until you confirm you can wait as long as you'd like to configure.

7. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

He could defer the configuration as long as he likes. The Seven day period doesn't start until he hit the order button. Also he could go to any Tesla Location and see the colors -- each store has all the color combo's on the wall. When I got my open to configure button, I called Tesla Customer Service and got the questions about config answered, pleasantly by the rep. Like a number of others, he can wait to configure in March - April when X's may be in Stores.

Lastly, to be correct, Tesla is suing the German company who is trying to collect additional money in their failed attempt to produce the FWD mechanism that didn't meet Tesla's requirements and specifications. They didn't produce the current door mechanism and their door was never used in Production. The suit has nothing to do with the current door.

8. Footbag

Footbag Member

9. Roamer

Roamer Member

This comes across as a helpless, low information, millennial incapable of figuring things out and thinking them thru. Funny he needed to make a call to learn the obvious. But then reading is fundamental.

Sort of like waiting in line for three days to get an iPhone that can be preordered online and delivered to your front door.

At least for the time being you can enjoy being part of a world populated by people able to figure things out. But then more and more as I read the forums the clueless are managing to slip in and buy a car.

10. Spidy

Spidy Member

In the end it really doesn't matter if people are incapable or just not willing to research more themselves. And I don't think the questions are obvious. Why would you not have your new car out there to test drive 3 months after the launch?

Tesla wants to sell premium cars for $100k. They should be the ones running after customers and accommodate their wishes and make them happy. They are losing sales. Keeping an interested customer that already has a reservation is much cheaper than expensive stores in the mall, driving events or starting to advertise. Sure they are production constrained, but that won't be the case forever.

11. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Not sure why this came about, we confirmed without seeing the vehicle(except for the reveal which was in the dark). If you are willing to do the research and look for the information you need, pictures and comments on this forum I feel I know everything there is to know to make a decision. Would it have been nice to go to the showroom and see one, you bet but that will not happen for another couple of months.

12. Roamer

Roamer Member

#13 Roamer, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    I think you answered the question. They are shipping cars to people that ordered three years ago. With 32,000 cars on order and 2016 sold out should they ship cars to customers that have ordered or not ship to customers so they can build cars to show to people so they can order for a 2017 delivery.

I just find it self entitled to be irritated that they can't show you a brand new product that has only shipped a few hundred items to customers. If you need to see the car and drive the car then maybe you have to wait until cars exist to see and drive. It is a new product. It is not in stock. You can place an order or you can wait until it is in stock and available to see and drive.

This is is like saying you are upset because you know someday there will be an iPhone seven and you are mad that you can't see it and order it yet. It's new. There are not many around. How is that a bad customer service. Not being able to see a product that does not yet exist in any meaningful quantity is not bad service it is what is know as reality.

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

@Roamer:
    +1

14. Spidy

Spidy Member

The 32000 are reservations and already several of those have been cancelled. Sure there are still enough for the year, but not converting them into sales is still bad.

Also I have never seen Apple not having their iPhone in the store to play with it 3 months after the launch.

Maybe you should consider they most people don't own or owned several Teslas like you. You have a signature car, you far far away from they average customer.

15. pvogel

pvogel Member

I've never had a Tesla, and the cost of the Model X was more than my first house, but I had no trouble getting the information I needed to make an informed decision ordering my Model X. I did have a chance to see several other people's X AFTER I placed my order (but before taking delivery since my production order still hasn't been delivered despite having been done more than a week), those visits with other Model X's gave me further confidence that my order was the right one.

An iPhone is a mass-market product that has 2x the preorders delivered on day 1 of launch.

A Tesla costs 100-200 times the cost of a high spec iPhone and takes considerably longer to manufacture. I know people who ordered other production cars (like the new bullit mustang in the mid 2000's or the new corvette in the 90's without seeing them and it took 6 months to clear the backlog before they showed up in showrooms. The Prius in the early/mid 2000's was similarly hard to get a test drive in. The Model X WILL hit showrooms, but for the moment they have enough orders to get right for people to max out the capacity of the factory and the QC teams. Once that backlog is relieved I don't doubt they'll hit showrooms and the people who needed to wait and see will be able to order or not and again the factory will have to keep cranking them out at a rapid pace to keep up with the backlog.

16. Roamer

Roamer Member

#17 Roamer, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    I don't disagree with any of your comments except to the extent that reality can be hard to accept. It's hard to show the world a product that does not yet exist in quantity. Tesla has to balance delivery of the limited products to people that have waited for years with the market desire to see and drive demo cars.

I would not call reality bad customer service. I would call it reality. Within a few months cars will be in showrooms to see. What is incredible is that Tesla can sell out an entire years production years ahead of release without anyone actually seeing or driving the car. That is a nice problem to have.

Let me add to this that I as much as anyone else understand the desire others have to see the car up close and be able to decide about options etc.

Along with many other early delivery owners I have tried to accommodate others wanting to see and experience the cars. I have lost count of how many people have looked at, sat in and driven our X. Part of living in Teslaland is being a good citizen and sharing with others.

I also look forward to Tesla having display cars available. My wife won't drive the new X and has taken over my car. She does not enjoy having strangers approach her and ask about the car or want to see inside. So for now I drive the X and she gets to curb rash the 21 inch wheels on my P85D.

17. Oil4AsphaultOnly

I think you're mis-reading the statistic. Everyone who pre-ordered an iPhone did so without seeing the product first. Everyone who reserved a model X did the exact thing. These are the early-adopters. The group of customers who wants to see a product first before buying, is the next batch, for whom a store model will be available by the time they're ready to order (probably in a few months). There are different customer profiles, and they are affected differently by how things are presented.

The reservation holders who cancelled, all did so because they liked the model S better, or because of the 2nd row folding seats, or something along those lines, instead of not being able to see the car in person. Those who needs to see a model X in person have simply held onto their invitation without putting in an order.

Not a customer service issue.

18. fderheide

fderheide Member

I'm an average customer, been waiting 2.5 years. I went and looked at colors at the SC and have seen a few model s cars. I have read the forum and seen the pics/videos. I buy stuff on Amazon that I have never seen before. I have a car and am happy to wait for my X to arrive. At this point I don't want to see one. I want to be happily surprised by its true awesomeness. If seeing and driving one important to you then there is a place in line for that experience too.

19. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

While I generally agree that nobody is forced into buying until they're comfortable, I disagree that the customer service is satisfactory for the vehicle at this point. Communication is paramount to customer service. In an ideal world, when someone asks Tesla questions about the MX, the Tesla rep should be able to answer. When Tesla employees can't answer questions about the vehicle, it's because they don't know, aren't permitted to answer, or (most likely) are just unsure.

This suggests a breakdown either at the internal communication level, and/or at the leadership level. Because things are changing so rapidly with this vehicle and the company, I imagine it's hard for every node in the company to know the latest information. Internal software can help clear up this confusion and assist in presenting a consistent response for the time. However, if leadership is making changes without letting everyone know, the message becomes fragmented. Once that occurs, uncertainty blossoms, and nobody wants to give a wrong answer. I fear this is the case at TM. They want to do best by the customer, but don't feel empowered with the latest message - so they can't answer.

Going back to the iPhone analogy posted above - yes, I might preorder an iPhone 7, but I'll have seen all of the specifications online. If I ask an Apple store rep, they'll likely tell me about the device, including delivery and shipping times, as well as when it will be in the store. There will be multiple photos, and the preorder will take place only a couple of weeks before delivery. I can also return it within a couple of weeks if I decide it didn't meet my expectations, so it's a near zero-risk transaction. It's not a valid analogy in any case, because it's also mass produced and much less complex than the MX.

So yes, you can order without seeing it, or wait and order later. There are definitely options for working around the communication and customer service shortcomings at TM. However, I don't think that completely excuses the shortcomings, or precludes Tesla from doing a better job moving forward.