Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Customer Support is the absolute worst.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Tesla vehicles but the customer service is horrible. I just bought my second pre-owned Model S from a local dealer and trying to get an ownership transfer has been a horrible experience. I sent in my documents per the ownership transfer instructions and waited a few days, nothing but crickets, no email confirmation or anything. Again there is no way to speak to a live person for support anymore so I initiated a chat session. The rep responded after about a 30 minute wait and verified that my documents were received...great! Then was told that it takes 3 business days and should done no later than the end of last week...ok I will wait, asked for a copy of the chat transcript and that was emailed promptly.

So after 5 business days passed I followed up again today via chat, another 35 minute wait, engaged another rep and was told again that the transfer was processing and would take another 3-5 business days because they have a lot of volume, many requests, etc.

I then asked if there was anyway to escalate because without access to the app I can't schedule service or use any of the cool app features, and worse is that I can't disable mobile access so for all I know the previous owner can still access the vehicle remotely, view my location, etc., not cool! I expressed my dissatisfaction and asked for a copy of the transcript but was told it was against company policy...but wait, the last rep sent one? Another example of inconsistent handling of customers.

After that the rep just disconnected the chat session abruptly, wow.

First, you should be able to disable mobile access from the touchscreen (the service techs do this when the car goes in for service).
Second, I'm pretty sure (95%) if you do a "factory reset" on the touchscreen, it will disconnect the car from the previous owner's app access.
I agree with this. The factory reset should delete personal info and I would think it would regenerated the security keys in the car (nothing to do with the Model 3 keys, etc.) and that wild at least break the connection to the original owner’s account.

Why everything like this can’t be done by the personnel at delivery directly is always a mystery.

First, you should be able to disable mobile access from the touchscreen (the service techs do this when the car goes in for service).
Second, I'm pretty sure (95%) if you do a "factory reset" on the touchscreen, it will disconnect the car from the previous owner's app access.

Nope, tried that already, can't disable mobile access or reset anything with logging in.

IMG_3702.JPG
IMG_3703.JPG

Nope, tried that already, can't disable mobile access or reset anything with logging in.

View attachment 428051
View attachment 428052

Wow. Thanks for posting that. That's something new I hadn't seen before.

It shouldn't be that hard to force a factory reset from the car!! Yikes. That's almost a security risk, say if someone takes over your car, you have no ability to force disconnect them.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Wow. Thanks for posting that. That's something new I hadn't seen before.

It shouldn't be that hard to force a factory reset from the car!! Yikes. That's almost a security risk, say if someone takes over your car, you have no ability to force disconnect them.

Prevents person from turning off mobile access once they steal car I would think.

Can't do it without the previous owner's login!

I dealt with this recently while waiting three weeks to get my ownership transfer processed.

And yes, Tesla customer support is the ABSOLUTE WORST. I've got some stuff I need repaired and I'm putting it off until I have time to scream at people on the phone, dial a dozen numbers for twelve hours, email a dozen addresses, and possibly have a lawyer send certified mail.

How can you justify calling it the absolute worse when you will never encounter similar situation with any other cars?
I am trying to understand whether you are

1: making a joke, i.e. the service is so bad that it is inconceivable that he would ever have such bad service anywhere else so his experience is an entirely different category of awful beyond "absolute worst"

or

2: making an unintentionally hilariously specious and sophomoric argument involving particularities that since no other car company has to deal with this exact transfer situation, then it can't be the absolute worst because by definition it is simultaneously the absolute best because it is a singularity.

or

3: questioning the limits of human knowledge and so he cannot possibly know whether there are worse customer service experiences so he is not justified in making his claim.

I like all of these possibilties.

Or do I?

No other car has the app that you will need to transfer. Does it mean if Tesla just removes the app for everyone it will no longer be the worst? Just trying to put this whole thing into perspective.
Just bought a BMW i8 a couple days ago. Logged into my BMW ConnectedDrive account and registered the VIN. It sent a message to the car with an activation code that I had to enter in the BMW Connected app to get basic control functionality over the car and the dealership processed the paperwork by the following day that gave me full control over the car. For what it's worth, the BMW Connected app gives me a similar level of control (minus summon) over the i8 as it does my Model X.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Tesla service the worst, since my local SC has been very helpful when I've needed service, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Just bought a BMW i8 a couple days ago. Logged into my BMW ConnectedDrive account and registered the VIN. It sent a message to the car with an activation code that I had to enter in the BMW Connected app to get basic control functionality over the car and the dealership processed the paperwork by the following day that gave me full control over the car. For what it's worth, the BMW Connected app gives me a similar level of control (minus summon) over the i8 as it does my Model X.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Tesla service the worst, since my local SC has been very helpful when I've needed service, but there's definitely room for improvement.

I owned a BMW X6M and an i3 and my experience was the same as yours as far as adding the vehicle to the BMW Connected App, very painless. Also have a 2018 Chevy Volt and getting app access was quick and easy, done in one phone call. To clarify, Tesla Service is awesome, the online Customer Support personnel are pretty much useless.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and jebinc