TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

Discussion in 'News' started by mdevp, Apr 8, 2015.

1. mdevp

mdevp Member

2. Adrian

Adrian Title(D)

Tesla cuts 60kW Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

As some of you might have noticed, Teslas pages are down for updates. Here's what Jalopnik has gathered so far:
    The $75k Model S 70D Is The New Entry-Level Tesla

Seems like the spottings of the next-gen LED lights were correct! We're getting new lights, some new colors and tech package is now standard - just have to pay to unlock it's potential. Gives second-hand sales a huge advantage :)

3. Alpha

Alpha Member

4. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

#4 ArtInCT, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    NEW MODEL S 70D Announced

Tesla Motors announced the replacement for the S 60, called the S 70D which add features to the base model.
    The S 70D has a 70 kWh battery pack and dual motors with 329 horsepower.
    The S 85D appears to have had its horsepower rating upped to 422 while the S 85 single motor rear wheel drive is still available with 362 horsepower.
    Pricing on the P 70D is expected to start at $57,500 and it goes from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and a range of 240 miles.... it will not have INSANE mode
    which is the P85D ultra-fast acceleration mode.

The S 70D is scheduled to begin shipping in May 2015.
    Tesla will discontinue the S 60 with the 60 kWh battery pack and a range of 208 miles.

The following are now standard features of all S models (note that the Tech Package no longer exists)....

- Free long distance travel on the Tesla SuperCharger Network
    - Automatic Keyless Entry
    - Parking Sensors
    - Power-folding and heated Side Mirrors
    - Maps and Navigation with real time traffic updates
    - LED daytime running lights
    - Blind Spot Warning system
    - Automatic emergency braking
    - 8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty on all Model S
    - GPS enabled Homelink
    - Lane Departure Warning system

Autopilot features are now an optional package called the Autopilot Convenience Package.

Three new colors added to all Model S .... Ocean Blue, Obsidian Black and Warm Silver.

Subzero Weather Package is $1000
    Premium Interior Package is $5000 (this package is necessary if you want the Power Liftgate, Lighted Door Handles and the LED Cornering Lights)
    Autopilot Convenience Features are $2500

This info from Seeking Alpha and CNBC as well as the TM Design Studio.

5. bp1000

bp1000 Member

Sweet!

I wonder if my p85d will get new lights too

Looking forward to the new colours, wonder if i can change my paint spec without moving my delivery date.

6. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Most believable coverage I have seen so far is BREAKING: New $75,000 Tesla Model S 70D: AWD, 240 Miles Of Range since it doesn't make weird and implausible claims like 514hp (which is obviously untrue if the 0-60 time is still 5.2s; I assume the S70D has the same drivetrain as the 85D) and TACC being included in the base model.

Interesting that the entire fleet is now supercharger enabled from the factory though.

7. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Confused how they are getting to the 512 combined hp in the 70D? Is that an error in the article? 85D has 370hp ish...

8. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

#8 bonaire, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    I see that Auto Pilot is a $2500 option.

9. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

10. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I am guessing this is as much about the Model X as anything else, so I think its safe to assume the X70D will be the base model. I wonder if we will see an S90 before the year is out?

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Well this is exciting! I can't wait till I try repricing how I want a 85. Given the change in options, I may just go ahead and pull the trigger on the order now. Something nagged at me not to do it last month and I'll be glad I waited!

12. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

13. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

Tesla is just adjusting pricing to prep people for the Model X and as a side benefit, headroom for the Model 3 when the time comes. This is also proving that the D variants are hugely popular....

14. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

This gives better clarity on tech pack changes. Auto-presenting handles are now standard, along with satnav (which has been included for a while) and also "autopilot hardware" but not the convenience features.

Still more data that refers to this strange 514hp figure though!!

15. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

S90, S95, or S100 - I think we'll see that when the Model X is announced and it will give an EPA rated 300+ miles in both the X and S. Probably be able to get to 300+ EPA with an S95D. Will X95D also hit 300+? Maybe, depending on weight, aerodynamics, software, etc.

I also think all models will upgrade again with the next gen batteries in 2017. Might just be lighter and cheaper that gets more range and faster time splits, but could also be more kWh.

Fun car to drive and stock to own!!!

16. Barry

Barry Member

514 horsepower? Is that a typo? That's more than the 85D.

17. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Tesla cuts 60kW Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

Order page is up! Updated power numbers for 70 and 85D: 329 hp and 422 hp respectively. 85D 0-60 now more accurate at 4.4 sec.

18. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

I think this is a great variant of the Model S.
    You get a 70Kw battery with 380Km range, Supercharging included and dual drive for only a little bit more than the old price. I think Tesla has a real winner here.

Looks like they adjusted pricing to appear lower but once you add in the options it climbs up really fast....