Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note to Tesla: when you do stuff like this, how 'bout throwing a few more servers behind the load balancer for the first day or two, so we can actually get the darn order page to load?!? :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

I think it means that the top of the range model for the X will be above 100kwh :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Note to Tesla: when you do stuff like this, how 'bout throwing a few more servers behind the load balancer for the first day or two, so we can actually get the darn order page to load?!? :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

The trick is to open dozens of tabs to the model s page forcing others out and giving you more chance of loading the page :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

On another note the p85d with pano and base everything else was £81,180, now its £80,370.

Is it possible that the 70kWh is obtained with the same physical layout of cells than the 60kWh battery, but with cells that have about 16% more capacity?
If that is so, we could see the 85kWh pack going to 98kWh pretty soon.
The cells that Tesla use did not change of capacity since 2013, if my memory is correct (with the introduction of pack version B, that can supercharge at 120kW).
So, putting in production an battery cell that implements some advances in capacity is plausible.

Tesla cuts 60kW Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

So what's all this about a 70D then?

The Tesla website has crashed because of all the interest generated.

May I be the first to start rumours of a 90D or 100D? :)

Yeah cool you're the first one to post about this onTMC.

With regards to new chemistry or not: what if they just increased the voltage range used? I'm think with regards to the testing we've seen done with actual Model S cells and how Tesla's earlier cut-offs, especially for 0% SOC, seem very conservative.

P70D

New version announced today!

Introducing the All-Wheel Drive Model S 70D | Tesla Motors

Today, we are introducing the Model S 70D, an all-wheel drive electric car with a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds and a 250 mile range at 65 mph.Even at a starting price of $75k, the Model S 70D offers a broad and compelling set of features. Moreover, when one factors in the cost advantages over an internal combustion engine vehicle, including fuel savings and incentives, the actual cost of owning Model S 70D comes to about $55k over five years (the average length of new car ownership).
In addition to having independently operational front and rear motors, the 70D includes Supercharging to enable free long-distance travel, Autopilot hardware, navigation, blind spot detection and many other features. As with every Model S, the 70D will receive free over-the-air updates that add functionality and improve the driving experience for years to come.
Starting today, you can also order any Model S in three new colors: Ocean Blue, Obsidian Black, and Warm Silver.

I'm not one that's particularly OCD about following all the pricing and package movements, but I didn't realize that the "Premium Package" is now $5000, which is crazy for a few lights and luxury touches inside. And the 21" rims are now an option even on the performance model...a $4500 option.

Makes it really hard to figure it all out, but all in all I think the pricing works out as a balance.

Can anyone find the S85 (non-dual) option? All I see is 70D, 85D, & P85D

Me too Cyclone. I was getting a base 85S and now I'll definitely get the 70D - and how about that new ocean blue metallic!
OBM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Efusco, I think Tesla has gone to AWD on all models.

70D

I dislike such wording, but WTF? No any anouncment, no any tweet, just post on FB and on their blog.
Introducing the All-Wheel Drive Model S 70D | Tesla Motors

Why? What this version is suposed to be? What part of marked it's aimed. I never imagined there is need for something between 60 and 85, but then if in 2 years there is going to be ~50 Model3 for half the price they need to prepare Model S to be different? Is it to replace 60 version? Or is it new additional option?

Model S 70D Announced - Will the 85KwH versions be enhanced with greater capacity?

Great news this morning. The S60 has been discontinued and in its place is the S70D at a very appealing price point and a 0-60 in the 5.4 range.

With now only one model being RWD I wonder if they will discontinue the RWD S85 and have their entire lineup to be AWD. Will likely simplify production of the Model S and the X.

I also noticed that the 85D now has a 0-60 speed of 4.4 seconds and I wonder if this will be enabled for all existing S85Ds with a software update.

What's I'd like to see most is an S100 so S110 with at least about a 325-350 mile range. That would make certain medium distance trips possible without needing to charge the car. With being able to power the heavier Model X, I am hoping Tesla is about to come out with a higher capacity battery pack and that same pack will also be available with the Model S.

I see no option to order the 60 kWh car anymore. In fact, I don't see a way to order it without AWD. [Edit: I see you can do it by removing the front motor from the 85D.] Omission? Or could be a major change to get ready for X. All cars AWD moving forward to simplify the production lines?

Last edited:
I'll speculate (as I did in the Investor's area):

The S70D uses a new battery chemistry with higher energy density, so the battery pack has the same dimensions and similar weight as the 60.

Once the supply of these new battery cells is sufficient, the 85 kWh pack will be replaced by a 85*70/60=100 kWh pack. Same enclosure, similar weight as the 85.

I can't wait to see what the performance times of a S100D will be....

In addition, that means changes for the 85D:

On the American website, it now says that the 85D has 422 horsepower and a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds.

On the German website, it now says that the 85D is rated at 428 PS with a 0-100 time of 4,6 seconds, but here's the interesting part: the 85D has a 522 PS Nominal Rated Power (261 PS for both front and rear motors).

So it sounds like the 85D is becoming more powerful, and potentially much more powerful? This has interesting implications for my 85D arriving in June....

Can anyone find the S85 (non-dual) option? All I see is 70D, 85D, & P85D

You have to choose the 85D first, then the previous "Drive" selection option appears to choose RWD or AWD.

Though at this point it looks to me like the 70D is a better deal than the 85. Better performance, almost as much range, $5k cheaper, and Supercharging is standard now.