Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ iKhalid, righto. May Delivery. I don't see what the big change is all about. the size of the battery hasn't changed, just its capacity. Simple software change/update. The AWD is somewhat silly for me here in FL, but maybe I'll justify it with the rain . . . and it is a better deal than the S85.

I thought there was a price cut on a reasonably configured 85D until I saw some of the old tech package has found its way into the Premium package, including Power Liftgate, Fog Lights and cornering lights. I wish it was a little clearer on what "higher quality materials" now means, since $5K for the liftgate, alcantara, et al is a bit much. For me, the Premium Package was a good one to skip in past configurations.

Attachments

• screen-capture.jpg
    screen-capture.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 897
@ iKhalid, righto. May Delivery. I don't see what the big change is all about. the size of the battery hasn't changed, just its capacity. Simple software change/update. The AWD is somewhat silly for me here in FL, but maybe I'll justify it with the rain . . . and it is a better deal than the S85.
Sorry but how do you know it's a software update? And same battery?

Sorry to be redundant, but seems like at least for an 85D configuration, the old tech pkg was $4250, now it is broken out into standard features and the $2500 autopilot option while NOT raising the base price much ($500). That's a pretty big deal; not sure why TM didn't also announce this.

Subzero and air suspension have both gone up a little, $250 each.

I thought there was a price cut on a reasonably configured 85D until I saw some of the old tech package has found its way into the Premium package, including Power Liftgate, Fog Lights and cornering lights. I wish it was a little clearer on what "higher quality materials" now means, since $5K for the liftgate, alcantara, et al is a bit much. For me, the Premium Package was a good one to skip in past configurations.

Alcantara headliner used to be $1500, premium interior used to be $3500. Now they are combined, more or less, for $5000. I wouldn't be surprised to see more non-Nappa in this new Premium pkg, though, given the change to more ambiguous wording.

70D is great. But why not also a single motor version with the small motor? Or an 85 with only the small motor. Personally I don't care much for the power but I do care to get the price down. I imagine it's the same all over Europe due to the strong US dollar...

Ok. This is strange. I refreshed my browser and Late December Delivery changed to May delivery. It really did say Late December for a while, as evidenced by the screen shot. But it's saying May now...
December was the "foreign deliveries" date; they had to do a software reset to recognize that Texas hasn't left the Union (yes). :wink::biggrin:

I wonder what this will do to used MS prices.:scared: I suspect the S70D just beat down the price of used S60's. An S100 would probably do the same to used S85's (if not already impacted by the 70). And when all those trades come out for the Model X? Yikes.

It should take a hit, but it's generally base models that hold value best. If anything, I think it would hurt base 85s.

70D is great. But why not also a single motor version with the small motor? Or an 85 with only the small motor. Personally I don't care much for the power but I do care to get the price down. I imagine it's the same all over Europe due to the strong US dollar...
Elon doesn't want to sell crippled cars (something he said when he killed the S40). Just one of the "D" motors would result in abysmal performance. It's more important to Tesla to create great cars than to shave $5k off the price of its entry-level vehicle.

Alcantara headliner used to be $1500, premium interior used to be $3500. Now they are combined, more or less, for $5000. I wouldn't be surprised to see more non-Nappa in this new Premium pkg, though, given the change to more ambiguous wording.

It's interesting to watch the trend on # of options since when I ordered my car back in August. At that time, there was a wide range of discrete options available. Now there are just a handful of packages. I'm sure it helps the manufacturing process. But I'm also sure that they're arranged in such a way as to maximize revenue per vehicle.

Showing the "fuel saving" on the order page as part of the price is pretty hokey. They shouldn't do that.

My config (85D with tech+cold weather) is exactly the same price. But I originally ordered a 60D so the 70D would have saved me $10k. That's a bummer.

It's obvious to me that there was a problem with the 60kW battery and the dual motor setup, hence the bump to 70 at the same price as the 60D.

Elon doesn't want to sell crippled cars (something he said when he killed the S40). Just one of the "D" motors would result in abysmal performance. It's more important to Tesla to create great cars than to shave $5k off the price of its entry-level vehicle.
Lots of prople wouldn't care if it did 0-60 in 10+ seconds... But you're right, it's not important for Tesla. Yet. When they eventually need to increase demand, it will be another story...

I have just posted this on the Tesla reddit:

I strongly suspect they use a new generation of cells (same ones as in the 400 mile roadster?)that enabled them to make the battery both lighter and hold more range than the 60kwh in order to achive that much more range, despite the added dual motor weight. If that is true and you extrapolate the 60 to 70 kwh upgrade to the 85kwh battery, you would end up with 99kwh! And more than proportional range gains, because I think the weight of the 85D and P85D is already at the acceptable limit and they will try to make it lighter again, and thus more efficient, too.
(70/60)*85 = 99,16kwh

The more I think about this actually, I think I have changed my mind on what this will do to the value of my beloved 60. If you look at the 40's that pop up on the market from time to time, they generally sell for about 5k less than a 60, even though the purchase price difference was 10k, and it would cost 12k to add the 60's range after delivery. While the 60 is gone, the base price for a stripped model s has actually gone up. The higher cost of entry (even if it is for a better product) may actually increase the value of the more affordable used 60 now.