Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My config (85D with tech+cold weather) is exactly the same price. But I originally ordered a 60D so the 70D would have saved me $10k. That's a bummer.

It's obvious to me that there was a problem with the 60kW battery and the dual motor setup, hence the bump to 70 at the same price as the 60D.

Nope. I'm in the school that they're getting ready for the X and came to the conclusion that a 60kwh battery would not be acceptable for the X. So, they're changing the battery line over now.

I'm REALLY curious to find out if there was a change in the capacity of the individual cells or if they just added 16% more cells to come up with the 70. I'm also getting increasingly convinced that the top X will be an X100.

Sorry to be redundant, but seems like at least for an 85D configuration, the old tech pkg was $4250, now it is broken out into standard features and the $2500 autopilot option while NOT raising the base price much ($500). That's a pretty big deal; not sure why TM didn't also announce this.

Subzero and air suspension have both gone up a little, $250 each.

Alcantara headliner used to be $1500, premium interior used to be $3500. Now they are combined, more or less, for $5000. I wouldn't be surprised to see more non-Nappa in this new Premium pkg, though, given the change to more ambiguous wording.
As Nevek mentioned above, some stuff in the old tech package (fogs, powered tailgate) was moved to the Premium package.

One advantage of this new package mix: for a price-sensitive customer, I could see skipping autopilot, to enable later when there are more interesting features. TACC and speed limit sign recognition? Meh...

Last edited:
It's hard to make sure to have read all the posts in all the new threads...

here's what I notice:

- Tech Package gone, but several of the features migrated into the now more expensive Premium Package (that seems to be a mix of tech and the former upgraded interior). For powered lift gate, fog and cornering lights you now need the $5k Premium Package... even the lighted door handles are now only available with the PP
- cold weather package went up in price
- and as others have mentioned, the next gen seats are still "front only"

For a P85D buyer, I think this is overall not a positive change. Or to be more specific, for someone with MY equipment goals, this would have been a price increase by something like $3k, even though on the surface the Tech Package is now included...

Gotta love that warm, obsidian ocean! I have suggested for some time that perhaps: 1) the Model S 60 would go away, prior to the release of Model ≡; and 2) dual motor AWD may become standard, due to its overall improvement in performance, safety, and range across all Tesla Motors products. The Model S 70D is a strong first step in that direction.

70D is great. But why not also a single motor version with the small motor? Or an 85 with only the small motor. Personally I don't care much for the power but I do care to get the price down. I imagine it's the same all over Europe due to the strong US dollar...

It's an adjustment for the X. 60 wouldn't provide enough range, AWD makesnup the majority of sales, so they'llreplace the 60kWh with 70kWh, and go AWD, with only the S85 for people who insist on RWD performance. It'll give them better margin, and gradually move the S into premium only, ready for the 3.

Gotta love that warm, obsidian ocean! I have suggested for some time that perhaps: 1) the Model S 60 would go away, prior to the release of Model ≡; and 2) dual motor AWD may become standard, due to its overall improvement in performance, safety, and range across all Tesla Motors products. The Model S 70D is a strong first step in that direction.

That's a good point. By the time Model 3 releases base S/X should have close to 300 mile range to justify the price difference with 200 mile range Model 3. You can always pay more for a higher range Model 3 of course.

I think the price point for the 70D is absolutely great along with the newly revised option packages but I don't know what they were thinking when they priced the Premium Interior Package for $5,000!

That is an absurdly insane price. It is also awful they rolled the power lift gate to that package as I consider it a must being not so tall! It seems the Premium Interior Package was always overpriced but now even more so. I really don't care for the fancy headliner but I do see value in some of the other components and it's a shame they are making you pay for that to get the power lift gate. The ambient lighting LEDs should be standard IMHO as just about even the basic subcompacts are now offered with the few LEDs lights in the cabin as standard.

I hope they revise the pricing for the "Premium Interior Package."
Power liftgate
Lighted door handles
LED fog and cornering lights
LED interior accent lighting

Here is what I think is going on: Production is battery constrained and the ever falling share of S 60s created ever more cell volume per car made. By making the entry level car much more attractive Tesla can get more buyers into the "small" battery and thus up production without using so many cells. If they double the share of 70 compared to what 60 used to be, they will use proportionately fewer cells overall. At 72.5 kWh it would have been a wash at double share.

To all those who write that the 70 is a sw limited 85; makes no sense, cells are expensive and heavy.

Why only AWD? Maybe they got the production cost of the new motors so low that 2 new small don't cost more than one big motor?

More speculation: Model X will still have 85kWh as top config until the giga factory opens, for the same reason, cell constraint. As long as demand is high enough there is no reason to use more cells. And, the X must not be too heavy when people start driving it! Handling might be just as important as range. If they come out with a higher capacity cell early on I'm almost willing to bet they'll just reduce number of cells and make it lighter

Last edited:
Here is what I think is going on: Production is battery constrained and the ever falling share of S 60s created ever more cell volume per car sold. By making the entry level car much more attractive Tesla can get more people into the "small" battery and thus up production without using so many cells. If they double the share of 70 compared to what 60 used to be, they will use proportionately fewer cells overall.

To all those who write that the 70 is a sw limited 85; makes no sense, cells are still expensive.

Why only AWD? Maybe they got the production cost of the new motors so low that 2 new small don't cost more than one big motor?
Good point!

Given these new changes and the trend they foretell, I wonder if the P85+ will end up holding its value better than the other 'legacy' models: it's the most attractive model for the RWD purists out there, and Tesla didn't make that many of them.

Showing the "fuel saving" on the order page as part of the price is pretty hokey. They shouldn't do that.

I agree with this. They did some of that sort of thing before when they attempted to also count the value of your time for refueling stops, etc... they got rid of it after they caught flack for it (here and elsewhere)

I think the data is useful, but they should include it in a "TCO" section along with the relative costs of charging vs. gasoline refueling, or similar...