Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts car prices by up to $5,000 in USA and China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P is comfortably over that threshold, and M3 LR and SR+ are already under.

I'd say there's a zero percent chance of Tesla dropping £7k off the price of the M3P, particularly as they only lowered the price in USA and China by $2,000 on the Model 3.

Another couple of points for consideration is the VAT removal of EU vehicles that was rumoured as part of a recovery package. I know the UK wont be part of the EU when/if this even materialises but maybe the UK could follow suit to make its internal automotive market attractive?

Final point on where a potential price cut could occur is via the US trade deal being negotiated. But isnt there a 10% tariff on US cars to EU? Im sure trump will be eager to cut this to zero.

Tesla may not have not the margin available to cut prices in the UK just yet. So hopefully one of the two happen. Either one will give them a few thousand to play with for which hopefully can be passed on to the consumer.

Another couple of points for consideration is the VAT removal of EU vehicles that was rumoured as part of a recovery package. I know the UK wont be part of the EU when/if this even materialises but maybe the UK could follow suit to make its internal automotive market attractive?

Final point on where a potential price cut could occur is via the US trade deal being negotiated. But isnt there a 10% tariff on US cars to EU? Im sure trump will be eager to cut this to zero.

Tesla may not have not the margin available to cut prices in the UK just yet. So hopefully one of the two happen. Either one will give them a few thousand to play with for which hopefully can be passed on to the consumer.

I ment VAT removal on EV vehicles in EU. apologies

In Germany I have a MX on order and it looks like it would be about 2000 euro cheaper now. However, free super charging is not given anymore. I know I won't super charge that often, but it is a nice perk to have and great as a resale incentive.

The Model X had a starting price of £64K back in 2016 (just as the Giga Factory came online), its essentially the same car today but with a bigger battery. Given all advances Tesla have made with production efficiency, lower battery cost, and the fact Tesla boasted profit margins of 20%+ per car in 2016, the S/X should be CHEAPER now than in the past, but that's sadly not the case.

The current S/X are cash cows - margin must be 30%+ on these cars, Tesla can easily slash prices to boost demand but they don't need to as the 3/Y generate most of demand these days.

Might be a good time for buyer though if Tesla need to shift stock, Tesla have done some pretty big inventory discounts for end of quarter results before so we'll probably the same again this year.