Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck Design Changes Suggest A More Normal Pickup Truck Look

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
It’s still just a concept, so expect more changes to the Tesla pickup truck as production draws near. Tesla CEO Elon Musk says that the Tesla truck, called the Cybertruck, will change to take on a more traditional truck-like appearance. The changes will be minor, but when added together, the look will be a bit...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/04/17/tesla-truck-changes-musk/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

I have a Cybertruck reservation and will be disappointed if the truck is smaller than it was advertised at the unveiling. It was billed as having similar dimensions to an F150. I have 3” to spare in the garage. It’ll be particularly disappointing if they reduce the cargo dimensions of the truck bed.

Reactions: Hank42
This post got me exited but is more of click bait. I thought for a minute they were going to change it into a good looking vehicle. I have bought quite a few new Teslas and thought for a while I’d replace my F150 with a Tesla too. I’m still holding out hope that the reveal was just smoke and mirrors as many others thought and Tesla will build a nice looking EV pickup truck that will compete with Ford and GM trucks. Tesla’s might not want to build an acceptable design because their objective might be to sell very few because they currently have too much on their plate. The whole PU deal is just more free or cheap advertising.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
This post got me exited but is more of click bait. I thought for a minute they were going to change it into a good looking vehicle. I have bought quite a few new Teslas and thought for a while I’d replace my F150 with a Tesla too. I’m still holding out hope that the reveal was just smoke and mirrors as many others thought and Tesla will build a nice looking EV pickup truck that will compete with Ford and GM trucks. Tesla’s might not want to build an acceptable design because their objective might be to sell very few because they currently have too much on their plate. The whole PU deal is just more free or cheap advertising.

Guarantee you if they changed to a traditional design at least half of the people who preordered would cancel.

Guarantee you if they changed to a traditional design at least half of the people who preordered would cancel.
You are correct but the thing is more than half or those tiny dollar deposit preorders will be canceled anyway but if redesigned they would more likely be replaced by a multiple of more orders. Likely a huge percentage of the current orders are from tire kickers willing to throw a few dollars down but never follow through. That’s not just my opinion but the same one echoed by many online due to the tiny deposit amount. Your welcome to disagree but it’s just common sense.

Last edited:
You are correct but the thing is more than half or those tiny dollar deposit preorders will be canceled anyway but if redesigned they would more likely be replaced by a multiple of more orders. Likely a huge percentage of the current orders are from tire kickers willing to throw a few dollars down but never follow through. That’s not just my opinion but the same one echoed by many online due to the tiny deposit amount. Your welcome to disagree but it’s just common sense.
You hit the nail right on the head. I don’t think anyone could honestly argue with you.

"The whole PU deal is just more free or cheap advertising."

Negatory. Elon is serious about his "Occupy Mars" project. Making Cybertruck, successful, for real, provides three major achievements:
- Practically commoditizes the 30x steel, going from specialty material for rockets to much larger production for a million vehicles
- Turns an expensive-per-unit prospect of developing a Mars Truck into subsidized and insanely-tested near-stock units from a million vehicle line
- Produces another cash cow rampaging into a time-has-come market.

Dissing Cybertruck like that is just another variant of the "Elon is a charlatan" absurdity which conveniently overlooks fact that charlatans don't move multiple major industries forward by technological leaps & innovative cost-cutting, producing millions (and growing fast) of expensive products lauded by numerous major accolades. For someone who has produced multiple vehicle models, selling into the millions, building an innovative truck is (relatively speaking) not difficult, and insanely profitable.

Consider the fact that you, Sunshine State, are on this forum.

My best guess at the new version:

cybertruck 0427 v5.png

cybertruck 0427 v5 d.png

Reactions: SmartElectric
I expect the Cybertruck shape is more aerodynamic than a traditional pickup with open bed which is important for an ev since batteries are less energy dense. Given better performane, I think people will get used to the different shape.

It’s still just a concept, so expect more changes to the Tesla pickup truck as production draws near. Tesla CEO Elon Musk says that the Tesla truck, called the Cybertruck, will change to take on a more traditional truck-like appearance. The changes will be minor, but when added together, the look will be a bit...
[WPURI="[URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/04/17/tesla-truck-changes-musk/"]Tesla Cybertruck Design Changes Suggest A More Normal Pickup Truck Look - Tesla Motors Club[/URL]"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
It doesn't matter to me. I just want my truck delivered. If reservations drop out, I will get mine sooner. Tesla will sell a million of them anyway. Awesome truck! Can't wait to get it.