Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck Orders Hit 146K in Two Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has received 146,000 orders for the Cybertruck, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

The automaker’s all-electric pickup was unveiled this week in Los Angeles and has received quite a bit of chatter since. The company set out to build something different than what’s currently available in the truck market, and they certainly achieved that.

The pickup’s peaked roof, tall bed sides, solid strip of headlights across the nose, and bare-metal finish set the truck apart. Not to mention performance, which the company says is on par with a Porsche 911.

The pickup is available for order in three versions:

Single motor rear-wheel drive with 250 miles of range, 7,500-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph capabilities in under 6.5 seconds, for $39,900 Dual motor all-wheel drive with 300 miles of range, 10,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 4.5 seconds for $49,900 Triple motor all-wheel drive with 500 miles of range, 14,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 2.9 seconds for $69,900 (though this version won’t start production until late 2022)

Musk said most orders are for the dual motor (42%), followed by the tri-motor (41%), then the single motor (17%).

Tesla is asking for a $150 refundable deposit to reserve the vehicle, which is slated for production in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 500 mile range option suggests that Tesla could have designed a vehicle based around a version of the Semi platform.

Certainly 146k orders shows that there is an untapped market for a decent EV Truck.

The 500 mile range option suggests that Tesla could have designed a vehicle based around a version of the Semi platform.

Certainly 146k orders shows that there is an untapped market for a decent EV Truck.

I'm thinking by 2022 they expect their battery pack modules / system to have higher capacity at lower cost. These vehicles will keep getting substantially better on their base technology and for all early adopters, the vehicles will start getting better in all areas that software alone can help improve.

Reactions: JHawk
"Better, Faster, Cheaper" - I thought you could only change two of these at one time? Apparently not true in all cases.

Let's compare to Model 3 from Wiki. The week's not over here (seems like a month ago already), so strong interest in comparison and it outpaces all competition, again.

"Within a week of unveiling the Model 3 in 2016, Tesla revealed they had taken 325,000 reservations for the car. These reservations represented potential sales of over US$14 billion."

True, just $100 to reserve (FSD as well), and I believe reservations could have been even higher with a more traditional look, but the required higher price point would have hurt sales long-term. FYI, $100 is not unique to their pre-ordering business model; they did the same with Solar orders. Nobody's going to put anything down on something they don't want or can't ever afford.

Meanwhile, the truck "look" that everyone was expecting is being made by everyone else, and hopefully the traditional looking Ford F-150 EV will be on the list. I think Tesla did Rivian, Bollinger, and the others a favor by this move. The more the merrier... 10x capacity is still needed, the clock is running.

I personally don't need this much "truck", but what are my utility options in 2 yrs for this project kinda guy? I know Tesla's going to be around for decades and not sure about the rest, including Ford. Something to note, I ordered 2 motors + FSD and I bet that was 75% of preorders. I don't need 3 motors, and FSD is a good bet to lock the price. I have a hard time believing anyone will order a single motor. Why, right?

Reactions: gilscales
I don't need a motor up front, my days of going into the mountains of NE Mexico are long over and even then you only needed AWD if the roads got slick, clearance was way more important. Now I mostly need a truck to haul dirt, rocks, plants and rarely machinery, all on paved roads. The base model would be more than enough, in fact a smaller junior version of the truck would be better (an old Ford Ranger works fine). It would be nice to have a hard shell camper back, the one in their pictures looks more like a tent, it doesn't look like it's meant to be used while driving.

there is no way there will ever be 146,000 of these hideous things on the highway.

Uh huh. Reservations just went up to 187k. Keep talking while the number keeps climbing.

187k.png

Uh huh. Reservations just went up to 187k. Keep talking while the number keeps climbing.

View attachment 480910

And all 187k of them can be refunded at any moment with no penalty. Keep fooling yourself that these are concrete numbers but you won't convince me. Hell, I may just go throw $100 down on one to prove a point. $100 fully refundable for a $50k truck two years from now means next to nothing.

And all 187k of them can be refunded at any moment with no penalty. Keep fooling yourself that these are concrete numbers but you won't convince me. Hell, I may just go throw $100 down on one to prove a point. $100 fully refundable for a $50k truck two years from now means next to nothing.

no one is being fooled. not sure why you seem to believe everyone but you thinks 187,000 pre-orders translates to that many orders in the end. personally i ordered two. when i saw the tri was going to be released a year later i also ordered a dual also to give myself time to decide

Well, no one thinks all of them will convert to sales. It is just a signal to show there are interest ($100 is not a lot of money but also not random joke money for people who hate a car). I think many people are using their own beauty judgements and concluding that "no one else will want this data, even if there is data to suggest that."

I think the Model 3 had 500K reservations and it ended up doing 400K (with 100K cancels) when it launched a couple years later. I myself am considering getting a Model X but maybe the Cybertruck is a better choice here.

Let's not forget it's a $100 fully refundable deposit.

I wonder how many Model 3 reservation holders converted to buyers. Anyone know?

The Model 3 got me excited about Tesla so I had a Day one deposit. I decided not to wait and bought a Model X instead, so Tesla came out OK when I cancelling the Model 3 order. Model X has been the best car I every owned.

How much do you think GM, Ford or Dodge would like to have 187K in reservations for any of there pickups? They don’t have buzz like Tesla. The Big 3 were probably were laughing with the Cyber reveal, but not now!

Just as importantly, Tesla did this spending $0 on traditional advertising. And will not have to spend any going forward to advertise this product. Any story about the cybertruck will go to the top of the news feeds.

While unless it is a massive recall, stories about the F-150, Ram, or Silverado struggle to get any coverage or air time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and Bobbo8