Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck Orders Hit 146K in Two Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has received 146,000 orders for the Cybertruck, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

The automaker’s all-electric pickup was unveiled this week in Los Angeles and has received quite a bit of chatter since. The company set out to build something different than what’s currently available in the truck market, and they certainly achieved that.

The pickup’s peaked roof, tall bed sides, solid strip of headlights across the nose, and bare-metal finish set the truck apart. Not to mention performance, which the company says is on par with a Porsche 911.

The pickup is available for order in three versions:

Single motor rear-wheel drive with 250 miles of range, 7,500-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph capabilities in under 6.5 seconds, for $39,900 Dual motor all-wheel drive with 300 miles of range, 10,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 4.5 seconds for $49,900 Triple motor all-wheel drive with 500 miles of range, 14,000-pound towing capacity, and 0–60 mph in under 2.9 seconds for $69,900 (though this version won’t start production until late 2022)

Musk said most orders are for the dual motor (42%), followed by the tri-motor (41%), then the single motor (17%).

Tesla is asking for a $150 refundable deposit to reserve the vehicle, which is slated for production in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think we are going to see many order cancellations and deposit refunds. You either really hate this truck (and would never put down a deposit) or you really love it. And this time people KNOW there will be no tax credit unlike with the Model 3 where it ran out in the middle of productiokn.
The real problem here is that there is a serious underestimation of how long this is going to take to produce. Ford can produce about 10,000 SuperDuty’s, Navigators, and Expeditions per week off an assembly line that has been perfected over decades.

The Cyberpunk has a polygonal design because the 30x stainless steel can’t be curved or bent, only cold rolled, meaning the exterior parts can’t be stamped. EM has said himself that the steel breaks the stamps. So now they have to seam weld several plates together, then finish the seams so they do not show. It will takes days to produce the body versus only hours for a stamped vehicle. 200k production will take YEARS to fulfill out of Fremont. They would need another dedicated factory online now and 5,000 workers to even think about hitting that clip by 2021.

The real problem here is that there is a serious underestimation of how long this is going to take to produce. Ford can produce about 10,000 SuperDuty’s, Navigators, and Expeditions per week off an assembly line that has been perfected over decades.

The Cyberpunk has a polygonal design because the 30x stainless steel can’t be curved or bent, only cold rolled, meaning the exterior parts can’t be stamped. EM has said himself that the steel breaks the stamps. So now they have to seam weld several plates together, then finish the seams so they do not show. It will takes days to produce the body versus only hours for a stamped vehicle. 200k production will take YEARS to fulfill out of Fremont. They would need another dedicated factory online now and 5,000 workers to even think about hitting that clip by 2021.
Mostly they just have to laser cut and bend. Big difference between bending and stamping. I suspect they will be able to pump these out faster than Ford or GM.

What exactly is the wager? :) If we go by what happened with Model 3, the roll out will be by model, geography, paint, wheel, etc. etc. and production may begin only after 2021. It will be a long long time before the total trucks on road can be settled. Then, at some point, Tesla will stop telling ppl how many reservations are left.

The timeline makes this tricky. How about we agree to count trucks until the first major body change after production launch. If the truck changes a lot between today and launch you can cancel the bet. You argued that we will not see 146k trucks on the road. I’m happy to limit that to the US. So...

I propose we keep this casual and friendly. Using the 146k as a set point and the total sales before a major restyling (this could be 6 years from now or more) loser donates $50 per 10k trucks off of 1r6k to the winners voice of charity. $100 minimum $500 maximum. Loser starts a thread showing proof of donation and eating crow.

we have heard this all before with the Model 3. An EV at this price point would be impossible to build profitably. They could never ramp production with the model 3. There's no demand for the model 3.

Replace all that with the cybertruck. It's a wait and see for yourself instead of being the armchair engineer speculating about what they can't do because it is allegedly impossible.

we have heard this all before with the Model 3. An EV at this price point would be impossible to build profitably. They could never ramp production with the model 3. There's no demand for the model 3.

Replace all that with the cybertruck. It's a wait and see for yourself instead of being the armchair engineer speculating about what they can't do because it is allegedly impossible.
Who’s says I’m not a p

I’m not doubting the demand or profitability. That’s there, obviously, but assuming this is just another EV for them is naive. Where are they going to source hundreds of thousands of tons of cold rolled 30x steel? Armor glass? Then magically throw it on the line will all the other models and produce 200,000 in a few months? You don’t need to be an engineer to have common sense.

I’m not doubting the demand or profitability. That’s there, obviously, but assuming this is just another EV for them is naive. Where are they going to source hundreds of thousands of tons of cold rolled 30x steel? Armor glass? Then magically throw it on the line will all the other models and produce 200,000 in a few months? You don’t need to be an engineer to have common sense.
So basically your hypothesis is that Tesla hasn't thought about this and arranged to have a supply in one form or another. That doesn't even pass the sniff test.

Let's not forget it's a $100 fully refundable deposit.

This is the fact that most are not realizing. This is a $100 refundable deposit, If they put a $1000 or $2500 deposit on this truck there would be a fraction of the reservations. I think many are hoping for a design change and are just using the $100 deposit to hold their place in line just in case Tesla comes out with something better before its actually released..

Teslas not looking to convert Middle Aged and seniors. They are winning the 20 somethings, the future pickup buyers. Thats the audience that any manufacturer wants the most. Its the FUTURE!! If the Big 3 lose even a fraction of pickup sales it will hurt and going into the future Tesla leaves them behind.
Which goes against everything one can read about millenials, including their preference towards smaller vehicles and ridesharing instead of owning outright. My question is - is Tesla now such an excited piece of tech that millenials will spend $40k plus just to be part of the newest trend (similar to buying a new iPhone every year).

We shall see. It’s coming, no doubt, but I’d bet the 200,000th customer doesn’t sit in their new truck until early 2023.

I doubt any Ford F-150 EV buyer will sit in the 50,000th F-150 EV by 2023. They have cannibalize their high profit F-150 ICE truck to sell EVs F-150s at lower profit margins.They want a slow ramp and will constrain the production of EV F-150s to ensure an orderly transition from ICE to EV power by establishing suppliers, especially for batteries.

Same with Mach-E. Or as Ford says. "Ford plans to produce about 50,000 Mustang Mach-E's in year one, but that number is only limited due to battery availability. This information came directly from Ford President of Automotive Joe Hinrichs."

How is "completed" defined? There are still many reservations holders who have not ordered but not cancelled. I have a reservation but still have not placed an order. I don't believe Model 3 orders have opened up in all markets where reservations were accepted. In Australia (as an example - probably many others) you can't order the "off-menu" SR, for example.
I think he meant "US reservations of what was available then". Model 3 was promoted at $35000 too, and after 3 years, you still can't buy one, while people outside the reservation list are buying their cars without wait. Some people call it the great "bait and switch".
Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Delayed in Delivery – Buyers Complaining

This is exactly how I see the truck plays out too. That $40k truck? People will be lucky if it will ever show up. The solar panels?
120V outlet? All in that $40k? I have serious doubts.

I dont think we are going to see many order cancellations and deposit refunds. You either really hate this truck (and would never put down a deposit) or you really love it. And this time people KNOW there will be no tax credit unlike with the Model 3 where it ran out in the middle of productiokn.
No one ran out of full tax credit in the US. Elon was calling people on twitter non stop iat the end of 2018 to come buy a Model 3 for the full tax credit. It's another story the $35000 Model 3 wasn't on any dealer lot to purchase.

What is true, is that Tesla sales and the owners who got referral credits used the scare of running out of tax credit to push many to buy a Model S instead. :) Or the higher priced Model 3 over $60k. I received many posts like that on nextdoor.

It is also true that Tesla used the high res count to say it will advance model 3 production ramp, and sold $2B worth of shares within 2 months.
Tesla files for $2B stock sale to back Model 3; shares skid

Last edited:
there is no way there will ever be 146,000 of these hideous things on the highway.

Hideous is the new awesome. :cool:

In all seriousness, yes, the CT is very different, and certainly not my cup of tea. I wouldn't buy one. But at the same time, I also wouldn't ever buy a Land Rover, Escalade, or Hummer. They're not my cup of tea either. Yet, they sell a lot of them to the market of people who want something like that, and who are perfectly OK with the car being ostentatious or obnoxious.

I think there is definitely a market for this vehicle. No, that might not be the farmer who wants a work truck. But you will see a lot of these on the road, I promise. There is definitely a group of people that love turning heads and love being different.

Reactions: jboy210
Who’s says I’m not a p

They already have a foundry for SpaceX. Elon says Tesla will have a foundry for their stainless steel.

It's an easy problem to solve when it's literally raining money from Model 3 and Y sales by the time 2021 rolls around.

This is the fact that most are not realizing. This is a $100 refundable deposit, If they put a $1000 or $2500 deposit on this truck there would be a fraction of the reservations. I think many are hoping for a design change and are just using the $100 deposit to hold their place in line just in case Tesla comes out with something better before its actually released..

Exactly! It's much easier to place an order or two when the deposit is only $100. If the deposit was $1000 (like for the Model 3) or $5000 (like when the Model X was unveiled), they would've received a much smaller number of orders.

Like many others on here, we ended up placing a second order after reading the fine print about the timeline for the dual vs. tri-motor models. Originally, we wanted the tri-motor but didn't want to wait so we did the second order for the dual motor. I think a large number of these "double" orders will eventually be canceled.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Exactly! It's much easier to place an order or two when the deposit is only $100. If the deposit was $1000 (like for the Model 3) or $5000 (like when the Model X was unveiled), they would've received a much smaller number of orders.

Like many others on here, we ended up placing a second order after reading the fine print about the timeline for the dual vs. tri-motor models. Originally, we wanted the tri-motor but didn't want to wait so we did the second order for the dual motor. I think a large number of these "double" orders will eventually be canceled.
How many orders would there be if the cost were $10? At what number did Tesla clear up the 450k model 3 wait list? 200k built? 250k?