Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck reservations lower than expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read and Weep

Attachments

• 36016.jpeg
    36016.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 36017 (1).jpeg
    36017 (1).jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 134
I wouldn’t be surprised if they make the dual and triple motor models first and MAYBE make the single motor at some point. The single motor seems pretty pointless for a vehicle like this.
Agreed. I think it’ll go in reverse order — tri-motor first, then dual- and then they may make the single-motor though I wouldn’t be surprised if they abandoned it outright down the road.

Reactions: tren01t and ijoe13
I have people asking me if they can have my preorder - so I do not think a bunch of people will drop out. However, if you find yourself in this situation where you do not want your preorder - please let me know - I have a lot of people interested...

Thanks!

Brent

Since it was $100 and refundable, a lot of people reserved one just for ships and giggles. Once Tesla actually starts making people complete their spec outs, the preorders will drop like files. I just hope its not too much
Agreed, especially with how long it’s taking. Priorities, needs and desires will change with how long it’s taking and the competition beating Tesla to the market.

There is no competition and none for the foreseeable future. I have used the other charging network and it is awful. The Tesla Supercharger network is fantastic and has allowed me to easily make trips across the country and up to Canada. Also, there is nothing else coming out that is close to the superiority of everything about the Cybertruck. The Rivian is ugly and Ford, well it is a Ford... It is not just about the vehicle, it is about the ability to do everything you want as if it were not an all-electric vehicle. I hope someday that there will be an alternative. I think by then, we will be driving flying vehicles...

Brent

^^^^^ the vast majority of people think the cyber truck is ugly. To each their own
I do think it’s ugly but it’s also cool. I do understand the general thoughts on it though from the masses.
I’ve liked the aggressive, futuristic design since the unveiling. I had the opportunity to see it person in NYC Saturday and it looks even better in person. It’s making the wait that much more difficult.

While I'd like to agree that CT has no viable competition, and we can rationalize why the competitors can't really compete ... they're competition, look "normal" (well, some do), and most come from long-respected manufacturers.

We're looking for a truck now. Wife agreed to the CT sight unseen, so long as it could pull what camper she wants. And then she saw the awesome dystopian-ugly nominally-bulletproof future-is-here reality of it, and recoiled with "absolutely not". I can likely talk her into the F-150 Lightning when it shows up soon, but then ... I'd have a Ford EV, and have to drive it.

Upshot is other e-pickups will likely eat into Tesla's share, with the unfortunate side effect of mass disappointment in the genre due to short ranges* and long recharging times. That will be very hard for the industry to recover from.

(* - I figure anything under 500 mile range is too short for an e-pickup. On the naysayer-favored issue of long trips, fastest progress will come from charging 20-80% at each station, giving an acceptable max of 300 miles per segment; add a heavy camper behind, and now you're charging at <200 mile intervals, making the wait conspicuous and limited pull-thru access irritating.)

We're looking for a truck now. Wife agreed to the CT sight unseen, so long as it could pull what camper she wants. And then she saw the awesome dystopian-ugly nominally-bulletproof future-is-here reality of it, and recoiled with "absolutely not". I can likely talk her into the F-150 Lightning when it shows up soon, but then ... I'd have a Ford EV, and have to drive it.
Sort of in the same boat -- I had a Tundra a while ago and really want a truck to either replace or go alongside my Model 3. I put two pre-orders in on Cybertrucks without talking to my wife about it since I figure it'll take a while before they're even produced, let alone delivering one to me. While working at home, I left a pic of one on my computer and she happened to see it and said, "Is that Tesla's new truck? It looks like a large, metal doorstop." And now I'm configuring trucks on Rivian's site.

Sort of in the same boat -- I had a Tundra a while ago and really want a truck to either replace or go alongside my Model 3. I put two pre-orders in on Cybertrucks without talking to my wife about it since I figure it'll take a while before they're even produced, let alone delivering one to me. While working at home, I left a pic of one on my computer and she happened to see it and said, "Is that Tesla's new truck? It looks like a large, metal doorstop." And now I'm configuring trucks on Rivian's site.
Don't give up hope. I was too in the same boat regarding the CT and wife's approval on it's iconic shape. It took a while and her driving my M3 to gain the appreciation of Tesla technology. And of course I built a DIY powerwall using Tesla Model S batteries to further build my foundational argument upon the performance, etc. After she reviewed the specs of the CT, BOOM she was all in and in fact design my vanity plate and press the order button for reservation. She went from, "Oh hell no and you ain't getting no CT to when is your CT going be delivered". if it can happen for me, I am confident it will happen to you. Keep scheming!

• Love
Reactions: El joe