TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Cybertruck & Semi: Radical New Battery Design Anticipated

Discussion in 'Cybertruck: Battery & Charging' started by TMC Staff, Dec 23, 2019.

1. TMC Staff

Check out our fun speculation based on known quantities. Tesla has something up its sleeve and, as usual, it’s not telling anyone about it yet. We should get a better idea of what it is at the upcoming “Powertrain and Battery Day” that Tesla has planned for later this year. Tesla has given us some...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

Are you sure that the upcoming “Powertrain and Battery Day” will be "later this year?" There's only a couple of days left in the year.

I assume you mean some time in 2020?

• Funny x 4
  3. duncan

duncan Member

The Chevy Volt uses pouch type cells - and uses a circulating coolant between the cells
    It's replacement uses similar cells but sits the cells on a cooling plate and uses aluminium fins between the cells to conduct the heat to the cooling plate

This looks to me as if Chevy started off with a very very effective cooling system - (after the Leaf showed that was needed) and after actual production experience has decided that was overkill and gone down a notch

Tesla have vastly more experience - and I suspect they have also decided that their current cooling system is also overkill

• Disagree x 2
  4. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

5. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

Hard to imagine “overkill” with track mode, summer use in AZ & TX, trailers, etc. Perhaps not cheap enough, but not overkill.

6. electracity

electracity Banned

Maybe, but it's really a "temperature distribution system" to and from the battery and other bits. Reducing battery cooling capacity decreases the speed at which the battery can be both cooled and warmed.

7. duncan

duncan Member

I did not make myself clear - the changes may not and probably will not effect the amount of heat that can be removed - but they may increase the temperature spread inside the battery -

8. nickysg

nickysg Member

I wrote about the Battery Investor Day recently:
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4311959-battery-developments-coming-thick-and-fast-for-tesla
    I think it could be seminal in the future of the company, and could have a huge impact on the stock price.
    Of course the article is wrong in stating the Battery Investor Day is taking place later this year.It was originally scheduled for late 2019 and we do not yet have a firm date for its intended Q1 2020.Elon Musk has a bit of a history of not keeping to his deadlines, but in this case I think they are probably awaiting some definite breakthrough news they can release.

9. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Active Member

I’d like to see your article as a TMC blog.