Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybertruck & Semi: Radical New Battery Design Anticipated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Check out our fun speculation based on known quantities. Tesla has something up its sleeve and, as usual, it’s not telling anyone about it yet. We should get a better idea of what it is at the upcoming “Powertrain and Battery Day” that Tesla has planned for later this year. Tesla has given us some...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/12/23/tesla-cybertruck-semi-radical-new-battery/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

The Chevy Volt uses pouch type cells - and uses a circulating coolant between the cells
It's replacement uses similar cells but sits the cells on a cooling plate and uses aluminium fins between the cells to conduct the heat to the cooling plate

This looks to me as if Chevy started off with a very very effective cooling system - (after the Leaf showed that was needed) and after actual production experience has decided that was overkill and gone down a notch

Tesla have vastly more experience - and I suspect they have also decided that their current cooling system is also overkill

The Chevy Volt uses pouch type cells - and uses a circulating coolant between the cells
It's replacement uses similar cells but sits the cells on a cooling plate and uses aluminium fins between the cells to conduct the heat to the cooling plate

This looks to me as if Chevy started off with a very very effective cooling system - (after the Leaf showed that was needed) and after actual production experience has decided that was overkill and gone down a notch

Tesla have vastly more experience - and I suspect they have also decided that their current cooling system is also overkill

Hard to imagine “overkill” with track mode, summer use in AZ & TX, trailers, etc. Perhaps not cheap enough, but not overkill.

Maybe, but it's really a "temperature distribution system" to and from the battery and other bits. Reducing battery cooling capacity decreases the speed at which the battery can be both cooled and warmed.

I did not make myself clear - the changes may not and probably will not effect the amount of heat that can be removed - but they may increase the temperature spread inside the battery -

I wrote about the Battery Investor Day recently:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4311959-battery-developments-coming-thick-and-fast-for-tesla
I think it could be seminal in the future of the company, and could have a huge impact on the stock price.
Of course the article is wrong in stating the Battery Investor Day is taking place later this year.It was originally scheduled for late 2019 and we do not yet have a firm date for its intended Q1 2020.Elon Musk has a bit of a history of not keeping to his deadlines, but in this case I think they are probably awaiting some definite breakthrough news they can release.

I’d like to see your article as a TMC blog.

I wrote about the Battery Investor Day recently:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4311959-battery-developments-coming-thick-and-fast-for-tesla
I think it could be seminal in the future of the company, and could have a huge impact on the stock price.
Of course the article is wrong in stating the Battery Investor Day is taking place later this year.It was originally scheduled for late 2019 and we do not yet have a firm date for its intended Q1 2020.Elon Musk has a bit of a history of not keeping to his deadlines, but in this case I think they are probably awaiting some definite breakthrough news they can release.