Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@PACEMD Thanks...sadly, don't see how right now. Those sails are structure. However, it is a funky funky design and clearly they have towing in mind. I would love to pull a gooseneck it is much more maneuverable. If a bumper pull works at 14k lbs that would be about as heavy a pull as you have on a pickup. Mostly at 14k you should be into a gooseneck type hitch to move weight over axles and not twist the rear end. We'll see...interesting days for sure.

The simplicity of the truck is very brilliant.

@PACEMD Thanks...sadly, don't see how right now. Those sails are structure. However, it is a funky funky design and clearly they have towing in mind. I would love to pull a gooseneck it is much more maneuverable. If a bumper pull works at 14k lbs that would be about as heavy a pull as you have on a pickup. Mostly at 14k you should be into a gooseneck type hitch to move weight over axles and not twist the rear end. We'll see...interesting days for sure.

The simplicity of the truck is very brilliant.

Right, it's the 14k pound rating that makes me ask. I'm not even close to a fan of pulling that weight with a rear frame hitch. I've done it but I don't like it. Not exactly stable. Needs a gooseneck/5th wheel. If the design of the Cyberetruck is light hauling no worries, but let's understand the limitations. Truth is a lot of the truck/trailer setups I see on the road are not particularly safe.

Right, it's the 14k pound rating that makes me ask. I'm not even close to a fan of pulling that weight with a rear frame hitch. I've done it but I don't like it. Not exactly stable. Needs a gooseneck/5th wheel. If the design of the Cyberetruck is light hauling no worries, but let's understand the limitations. Truth is a lot of the truck/trailer setups I see on the road are not particularly safe.

Rumor is that someone was talking to Tesla engineers at the unveiling and they were told that Tesla had to use a 5th wheel trailer to test and validate the 14k pound tow rating. So it seems like they have done it. The question would be what kind of turning radius will you have?

Could not agree more on all of that. Bumper pulling is just not great in the traditional frame design of a F350 (my current ride) etc. However, i am no engineer so I can't speak to the right way to load the cybertruck frame. They connect towing with battery range but surely there must be a beefier suspension in there or something.... surely? Else you only have drive train and battery and it is all the same frame. A diesel f350 can tow more than a gas version for good reasons. Most importantly it can tow that mass for far longer (hours/miles).

Reactions: PACEMD
The question for the gooseneck is if the sides of the bed would clear the gooseneck at 90 degrees and if the hitch could be installed to the frame forward of the rear wheels. Probably not and it's not my expectation that the Cybertruck should have been designed for heavy hauling, just want to understand what we have here. Course I have no information about the frame design or the height of the sides of the bed. I could be totally wrong about the possibilities here. I have long had a diesel F350 dually and gooseneck.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TT97
I will be doing this. 110/220 is right there, I mean come on.
*at the bar
"So ladies. Want to try out my hot tub? It's in the parking lot. wink wink"
*get's pepper sprayed
truckwin.png

volume of 35r x 26d cylinder is 1 x (10^5) (inches^3) = 1 638.7064 liters = 3612 lbs
You've exceeded the cargo capacity by 100 lbs before adding people to the "mix".

TIP : Downsize the tub fill it well under the top. Good luck with your club scene post party public bathing.
Well, I'd need to leave it partially empty to fit all the club girls in it. ;)

The question for the gooseneck is if the sides of the bed would clear the gooseneck at 90 degrees and if the hitch could be installed to the frame forward of the rear wheels. Probably not and it's not my expectation that the Cybertruck should have been designed for heavy hauling, just want to understand what we have here. Course I have no information about the frame design or the height of the sides of the bed. I could be totally wrong about the possibilities here. I have long had a diesel F350 dually and gooseneck.

I stole this render from facebook; I know nothing about towing 5th wheels but this image shows you the potential clearance; it looks like the "sails" aren't nearly as large as they originally looked to us. so what is the difference in bed height compared to the fossil truck above the rear axle ? 6 inches ish ?

190516_009_764A0802_FordF150-tesla-2-2-640x236.jpg

i also have a F350 and tow a 36’ gooseneck trailer for a racecar. No way the trailer wouldnt hit the sails on either side of the bed on this truck. In addition, the truck looks very tall. This presents an issue for gooseneck/5th wheel trailers as it minimizes the distance between the trailer and the bed. Between these two things, Tesla has either written off this use case or has something else in mind other than what we saw.

Sails aside, do you think the height could be adjusted with the active suspension?

Not exactly, because that changes the angle between the bed and the trailer. You want it level because that means the trailer is level and the trailer’s weight is equally distributed across however many axles the trailer has. Raising or lowering the truck is about half of it (likely lowering as the cybertruck looks tall, but then its going to look like its dragging its tail; not a very good look for the zombie apocalypse). The other way is raising the trailer which is a major undertaking involving welding.