Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to walking out to the garage to see this logo daily :)

No FSD?
I'm looking forward to the truck opening the garage door on the barn in the back of the property*, driving itself through the yard ignoring the foot of snow and picking me up at the front door. :D
*and closing the door behind itself

Open Source Maps and I will have some plotting to do. With summon, we can call the truck while working in the field. Heck, could have a picnic set up in the bed ahead of time.

SO MUCH WANT!!!

I like it! it would be cool if it was done in LED and could change colors based on driver preference. Trading in a Tundra for a Model 3. Looking forward to see what the Cybertruck looks like in a few years. I may have to go back to a truck.

Predator likes the new logo:

ZT2uieQ.gif

The important thing for me was the size of this vehicle. A small truck would simply not do well and would be a sign that electric cars are not capable of what a diesel truck can do.
Based on the invite teaser the height of the truck is perfect, now just need confirmation of a strong look to the back and this could be a home run. I expect Elon is right in anticipating mixed reactions but this will be a product that people get excited to see on the road.

I agree. But I stand by my post. I do not think 70's sci-fi is going to play well here. It will not stand out from the crowd in the right way.

The Raptor being a niche vehicle is all the more reason to have a "normal" looking truck. One that could be purchased by a tradesman or someone with a bit of land (or wants to have a bit of land) to use as a work truck and to take the family on trips (common where I live).

IMO the Rivian is too weird to be accepted here. What Elon is building? Eeek.
We have yet to see the truck, so obviously we're all guessing that it's going to be pretty weird looking. It could look much more traditional than we think.

Also, something to consider - the established "truck" market in middle America is probably not the target audience for Tesla's truck. Many of these owners despise Tesla, like the ones I saw blocking a Supercharger in Petaluma, with the charge cables inserted into their gas tanks. I don't see many hardcore truck fans ready to switch to an electric drivetrain early in the transition anyway. There are something like 2.8MM pickup trucks sold annually in the US. Tesla is unlikely to be prepared to sell more than 50k annually, or under 2% of the market. So their target can be much more specific.

Gonna go in and agree with those saying they are nervous about the design. Sigh. I'm SUPER in the market for a pickup and would snatch this up in a second if the design isn't bonkers. I'm out in rural Texas where every other vehicle is a Chevy, Dodge or Ford. If we're going to convert those guys into EVs, don't make it an absolute "LOOK AT ME I'M CALIFORNIA WEIRD!" design. No matter the specs, if it's butt ugly no one will buy it. No matter how edgy/futuristic. That includes me. It was a huge stretch for me to get a Model S back in 2015 around here. If it looked like a "cyber punk, blade runnerish, not for everyone" design, I flatly wouldn't have bought it because I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb in the parking lot.

The model S was perfect for that. People who "knew" cars would turn their heads and follow me as I drove by, knowing that it was a very interesting looking car that they didn't recognize. People who didn't care about cars didn't really even notice. After showing them how cool it was and THEN telling them it was an EV, were they then like "wow cool! I didn't know EV's could be cool!"

I guess perhaps Elon thinks now that EV's are more widely accepted, they don't need to play it safe anymore and just go big. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling it will just be too out there for most of middle America.

Gonna go in and agree with those saying they are nervous about the design. Sigh. I'm SUPER in the market for a pickup and would snatch this up in a second if the design isn't bonkers. I'm out in rural Texas where every other vehicle is a Chevy, Dodge or Ford. If we're going to convert those guys into EVs, don't make it an absolute "LOOK AT ME I'M CALIFORNIA WEIRD!" design. No matter the specs, if it's butt ugly no one will buy it. No matter how edgy/futuristic. That includes me. It was a huge stretch for me to get a Model S back in 2015 around here. If it looked like a "cyber punk, blade runnerish, not for everyone" design, I flatly wouldn't have bought it because I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb in the parking lot.

The model S was perfect for that. People who "knew" cars would turn their heads and follow me as I drove by, knowing that it was a very interesting looking car that they didn't recognize. People who didn't care about cars didn't really even notice. After showing them how cool it was and THEN telling them it was an EV, were they then like "wow cool! I didn't know EV's could be cool!"

I guess perhaps Elon thinks now that EV's are more widely accepted, they don't need to play it safe anymore and just go big. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling it will just be too out there for most of middle America.

Good thing there will be an electric F-150 (and eventually others) for middle America then. I think Tesla is more than happy to let legacy American auto continue serving the needs of middle America as long as it's electric. Why try to "convert" folks that will be so reticent to do so anyways? The Tesla mission is electrification, not Teslification.

Truth is if there was insane demand immediately for Cybertruck in middle America, it would be a problem for Tesla, because there's no way they could meet it in the next few years with battery supply constraints.

Good thing there will be an electric F-150 (and eventually others) for middle America then. I think Tesla is more than happy to let legacy American auto continue serving the needs of middle America as long as it's electric. Why try to "convert" folks that will be so reticent to do so anyways? The Tesla mission is electrification, not Teslification.

Truth is if there was insane demand immediately for Cybertruck in middle America, it would be a problem for Tesla, because there's no way they could meet it in the next few years with battery supply constraints.

this is a good point. Say they made a Tesla-fied F150. It would probably send demand skyrocketing. They can barely churn out 100k Model 3’s per quarter. There is no way they’d maintain that, plus Model Y, plus Cybertruck. Maybe they truly aren’t even going for that market... which is an odd thing to say.

• Disagree
Reactions: EchoDelta
We have yet to see the truck, so obviously we're all guessing that it's going to be pretty weird looking. It could look much more traditional than we think.

Also, something to consider - the established "truck" market in middle America is probably not the target audience for Tesla's truck. Many of these owners despise Tesla, like the ones I saw blocking a Supercharger in Petaluma, with the charge cables inserted into their gas tanks. I don't see many hardcore truck fans ready to switch to an electric drivetrain early in the transition anyway. There are something like 2.8MM pickup trucks sold annually in the US. Tesla is unlikely to be prepared to sell more than 50k annually, or under 2% of the market. So their target can be much more specific.
I too, hope that Elon is just overselling, like he did w/ the M3 cockpit. I agree that the rolling coal crowd will not be flocking to buy a Tesla pickup any time soon. But I have also talked to many people around here that would be interested in an electric truck. We have been remodeling our house off and on for the past 3 years and every contractor I talked to would love the ability to haul a crew of people and power a job site from the truck. They lamented working on new or remote construction, dealing w/ generators and running out of fuel in the middle of the day, etc. But these people will not buy a weirdmobile.

Also, with a more normal looking truck, I can have a conversation w/ the rolling coal crowd, point out the benefits, etc. With a weirdmobile I won't get that chance.

There is only one thing so far I don’t like about the 3 - that insufferable backing-up electronic whine - i know it was added later on as a “safety measure”. I absolutely hate it - it screams to everyone “look at me, I have a fancy newfangled electric car!” I get looks in parking lots only from that whine - when every other modern gas car is relatively as quiet backing up, and there is so much tire noise from turning and friction on pavement, the electronic whine just makes you stand out. I fear the aesthetics of this truck is an extension of that “look at me!” problem. I actually loved some of the fake renders but hate these teasers
Blame the goverments for this one, not Tesla. The legislation was specifically written to apply to only EVs. Sure, that wasn't intentional. /rolleyes

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I too, hope that Elon is just overselling, like he did w/ the M3 cockpit. I agree that the rolling coal crowd will not be flocking to buy a Tesla pickup any time soon. But I have also talked to many people around here that would be interested in an electric truck. We have been remodeling our house off and on for the past 3 years and every contractor I talked to would love the ability to haul a crew of people and power a job site from the truck. They lamented working on new or remote construction, dealing w/ generators and running out of fuel in the middle of the day, etc. But these people will not buy a weirdmobile.

Also, with a more normal looking truck, I can have a conversation w/ the rolling coal crowd, point out the benefits, etc. With a weirdmobile I won't get that chance.
I don’t disagree. I am on the record disliking my Model X because it has a stigma attached, where my classic S does not. But we have yet to see where this is going and I think there are some overly strong early conclusions being drawn. Also, Tesla is likely to sell them, whether we personally like the style or not.

Reactions: outdoors

Totally agree. Back in 2015 when I had my Model S, I was able to talk to 100% of people. Progressive minded all the way to global warming is a hoax minded. Even some in my own family who made it rich in Oil & Gas and think the California lefties are as crazy as they come, when he saw it and then drove it, he was super impressed and hated the fact that it impressed him.

If I rolled up in a weird mobile that looks, as Elon as stated, as if it "rolled off of a movie set"....he wouldn't stop laughing long enough to even get inside and drive it. Even if it did have awesome specs, he wouldn't stop giving me hell about how utterly bizarre and weird it looks. So the formerly 100% of people I could earnestly show it too drops down a considerable margin.

Out here, if you give people a better product, they'll buy it. As long as it isn't too damn weird. If you have something that is SO out there from a design standpoint, it just further reiterates the stereotype that EVs are weird and those weird lefty tree huggers are just bonkers.

Even though EVs are 1000% more mainstream than they were even just a few years ago, I don't think we're at the point of mainstream adoption that all of the sudden the designers can just do a line of coke and start designing a car so outside of the box that only a small segment will actually buy it.

I hope I am dead wrong. I hope it's 95% awesome and 5% weird, although I'm afraid it will be the opposite.