Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is a good point. Say they made a Tesla-fied F150. It would probably send demand skyrocketing. They can barely churn out 100k Model 3’s per quarter. There is no way they’d maintain that, plus Model Y, plus Cybertruck. Maybe they truly aren’t even going for that market... which is an odd thing to say.

The unveil under the unveil is all about the battery/drivetrain, and what Tesla has been doing in its last few years of R&D. They are going to show you what can be achieved by an electric truck, while everyone focuses on the eye candy. IMHO the smart play here is to license the guts to legacy automakers so they can put a familiar shell on it and please their established customer bases. Meanwhile Tesla puts out a new class of vehicle that will certainly please a small segment of buyers, and still makes huge profits without having to manufacture a million trucks per year themselves.

I too, hope that Elon is just overselling, like he did w/ the M3 cockpit. I agree that the rolling coal crowd will not be flocking to buy a Tesla pickup any time soon. But I have also talked to many people around here that would be interested in an electric truck. We have been remodeling our house off and on for the past 3 years and every contractor I talked to would love the ability to haul a crew of people and power a job site from the truck. They lamented working on new or remote construction, dealing w/ generators and running out of fuel in the middle of the day, etc. But these people will not buy a weirdmobile.

Also, with a more normal looking truck, I can have a conversation w/ the rolling coal crowd, point out the benefits, etc. With a weirdmobile I won't get that chance.

Don't worry. If it can makes more money, they'll do it.

I think that this is about attention-grabbing and seeding the market with a message that pick-ups don't have to look the way they normally look.

Even if Tesla went more conventional, they wouldn't go fully conventional, because that's not good for efficiency.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Even if Tesla went more conventional, they wouldn't go fully conventional, because that's not good for efficiency.
I would be thrilled w/ design evolution. I like that the current cars highlighted what was possible w/o an ICE, xmission tunnel down the length of the car, etc. W/ the pickup I'm sure there are a ton of things they can do when not constrained by mounting a big V8 in the nose, large fuel tanks, etc. 70's sci-fi is great for auto shows but I hope they dial it back for production.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I'm hopeful that Elon has balanced the "not for everyone" aspect with his earlier statements (admittedly in discussing cars) that he doesn't want to make EV's that are weirdmobiles.
It could be a cool weirdmobile. Besides, Pontiac Aztek sold over 100,000 vehicles and most everyone thought it looked like crap.

No FSD?
I'm looking forward to the truck opening the garage door on the barn in the back of the property*, driving itself through the yard ignoring the foot of snow and picking me up at the front door. :D
*and closing the door behind itself

SO MUCH WANT!!!
Sort of like in Back to the Future, but where I'm going there aren't any roads for FSD.. Fun speculating and hoping it could be something that works for me. I need to be able to commute as well as camp and get to remote areas as I'm 2 blocks away from National Forest on one side and BLM on the other with enough trails to keep mild to wild happy. According to Elon it will handle like a 911 I can get ride of the S and the Jeep for the truck. Hopefully its not a 2 year wait..

This is the best I could do but I think will be roughly what we see Thursday night.

Cybertruck.png

Could be a short setup at play IMHO, similar to setting high earnings expectations then being dashed when they only "meet" their internal goals. There are very high expectations out there in the press, but success will be based on subjective opinion until we have pre-order data. Meanwhile, it would be easy to gather reactions of truck owners and just cannibalize public perception with bias.

But I don't think we're trying to sway opinions on those hardened Ford diehards, they will be the last ones standing in what I call the attrition group - as the word diehard implies. No, this will be an upcoming crowd that shops wisely and keeps an open mind, and there are plenty of smart people out there. The facts are and will be obvious, and the surprises will keep coming as they always do with Tesla.

So just wanted to chime in and clarify that there seems to be more hype on the truck than what I saw with the Y or 3. Sure it's a larger demographic with huge upside, but it's also vulnerable to comments like "The bed is no match for this construction worker" or "it's got a funny nose", to "Good luck charging out here <mountain scene>." Fact is, unless something comes along that's better, the choice is still clear, sight unseen. True, I have not seen it yet, but I still conclude this because I'm looking the facts, including my own facts and experience. (As long as it fits in my garage, right?)

Shorts, I'm watching you... not gonna work in the end. I'm still not selling my shares, but I may need a few for that truck ;)

• Funny
Reactions: SpaceCash
Blame the goverments for this one, not Tesla. The legislation was specifically written to apply to only EVs. Sure, that wasn't intentional. /rolleyes

good point -- didn't realize it was regulation

don't have to tell me twice to have animosity towards government

it really is obnoxious. I drove a Lexus before, the engine is pretty damn quiet. when you're backing up at slow speed, the engine is by no means loud. the Tesla ends up being louder than any modern gas car. it's so damn obnoxious and such a strange sound that everyone looks over to see what it is. hate it

The unveil under the unveil is all about the battery/drivetrain, and what Tesla has been doing in its last few years of R&D. They are going to show you what can be achieved by an electric truck, while everyone focuses on the eye candy. IMHO the smart play here is to license the guts to legacy automakers so they can put a familiar shell on it and please their established customer bases. Meanwhile Tesla puts out a new class of vehicle that will certainly please a small segment of buyers, and still makes huge profits without having to manufacture a million trucks per year themselves.

is there any indication or hints from Tesla executives that this is the play?

I find it tough to believe that these very large legacy automakers with 3-4 brand badges under their respective companies are all going to shell out to the same third party for engines. I know that happens with transmissions and some other components, but even then there is some variety. I imagine it would be cheaper at some point to just create their own motors, and many already have

I went to an amateur (modified pickups and actual tractors) tractor pool in a super rural part of Kansas this past summer. I couldn't help but think how hilarious it would be to get out there with a Tesla truck. You would only hear the sound of the tires spinning in the dirt.

Reactions: Lasairfion
IMO, this is a big gamble for Elon. With all the R&D money he's poured into the design and implementation, if the design is too radical and unconventional it will not sell well and only appeal to a very small mass of truck buyers. Look at our 3, remember all the jibes the concept renderings caught because the front resembled a fish. The concept renderings I've seen of the truck are way to futuristic for my liking, and I have a been a truck guy all my life with the last a crew-cab dually for pulling my 38 foot 5th wheel, which means I represent an fair amount of the truck buyers in the US today. I could not even imagine hooking up the truck in the concept drawing to my 5th wheel. In short, IMO, the truck in the concept drawing is fugly, at least the one I've seen that resembles their semi truck. Again, the truck in the concept drawing only had one seat in the front and what amounted to a bench in the rear. While this set up might work for the semi, I can tell you for certain, my wife would never sit in the back seat while traveling across the country with me. So I really hope for Elon and his stockholder's sake that the final truck is more conventional to the trucks of today. Look at the current 4 vehicles he offers, each are unique in their own way, but conventional, so they sold like hotcakes. I guess we'll all find out in a week.