Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a few more guesses

Attachments

• 225C16C4-9334-4EE4-9022-A4CC9374BDFB.jpeg
    225C16C4-9334-4EE4-9022-A4CC9374BDFB.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 9CDBF264-E45C-4699-B5C3-CB0892FD2D3E.jpeg
    9CDBF264-E45C-4699-B5C3-CB0892FD2D3E.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 69
  • E6BB95D5-2744-4780-8C43-36910F873B96.jpeg
    E6BB95D5-2744-4780-8C43-36910F873B96.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 60
Hence my reference to expecting the "hub casing to be able to handle more torque "

Yeah... I'd suspect however that the reaction torque being constrained by the mount points on the edges of the casing would be more than manageable. As has been pointed out, the HUMVEE does it seemingly just fine...

The hub casing was not @Blup85's concern (as I understood it) but rather the suspension links that react that torque to the chassis. However, the links already handle full braking force which seems like it would be on par with full acceleration torque.

Regarding comparison with the HUMVEE / original Hummer, my thought would be the proposed ride quality/handling (911 esk for CT) and potential top speed (96 MPH for H1) alter the playing field.

Reactions: scaesare
I agree with you that sometimes design changes face resistance and then become standard. However, there are other times when design changes face resistance because they are really not a great idea. There are plenty of failed inventions (e.g. steam automobiles), and some that make just a small niche markets (e.g. 3 wheeled cars). Then there are some which are just too impractical (e.g. falcon doors, even Elon admitted they were a mistake on the X, didn't learn from DeLorean) - heck, those doors were a large reason why I never bought an X, even though I was waiting for it - when the X first came out the doors were super slow and even on a sunny day in an open parking lot took retries to open or close - my wife compared the speed of X doors to power sliding minivan doors and said "no way the kids and I are waiting for those things to open when it rains".

So, it remains to be seen what the cybertruck will be, and whether its unusual innovations will take over the industry or go down history as a warning to others.

The FWD may or may not be a mistake, personally I love them, they open fast enough for me (mine is a July 2019) It’s easy to get in and out, put car seats in, and kids into the car seats, and so far have been flawless in operation. Again, to each their own. I get some people, including the manufacturer dealing with a more complex mechanism, might not like them. I love them. So far anyway! ;-)

But the FWD itself is not relevant to EV design - the design of the FWD not driven by the fact that it’s an EV rather than a ICE car, the main point of my post being the EV car requires a different design than an ICE, which hasn’t yet been realized as EV’s are still too new to the scene, and people are resistant to to change.

Your argument that the interior of the 3 is a poor design is more what I’m addressing. While you, others may not personally like it because it’s too different from the familiar, (again, no problem, to each their own) my prediction is in 20 years (or less) you will see ALL future car interiors become much MORE spartan like the Tesla’s with less instrumentation, simply because it’s not needed. They are holdovers from the past.

In aircraft we call the old physical dial and needle instrumentation “steam gauges”. In all newly manufactured aircraft these have mostly disappeared, except as back ups, in favor of electronic displays. Not as many backups are required in automobiles, so I predict they will disappear entirely, in favor of the screen(s) and HUD’s.

I do partially agree with your last statement here. The cybertruck could be a terrible design, or a design ahead of it’s time, either way it could be a flop.

But remember, everyone used to say EV’s were never going to happen, and all the previous EV failures should be a warning to others.

I’m glad Elon didn’t take the myriad of failures of previous EV designs as a warning.

I never claimed nor implied that all different features were an improvement, just gave a well known example of something that many people "didn't want", including myself, until they actually used it and found it superior.

Except the Model 3 doesn't really have the speedo in the middle of the vehicle, it's just slightly to the right of the driver. Again, as with the touch screen keyboard, a lot of people complained about it when announced yet very few did so after they've used it.
I’d suggest there is a gap between not-complaining-about-something and falling-in-love-with-something, or even wanting-something.

Logistics issues delivering to different parts of the world are not production constrains. You can find inventory models in the US no problem. When they used to be production constrained, there was no inventory models and used ones went for more than new on ebay.

Sorry but this is simply not true. I just waited a month and there were several people who ordered before me still waiting until December.

the last few quarters, they basically have a drought month 1 and 2 as the backlog of orders builds. Local supply completely disappears. Then there is a glut the last month as they rush to make deliveries . Some people reject them and they then offer those at discount to other people waiting to get them off the reservation line (free wheel or paint upgrade, supercharger miles, etc)

I stopped looking since I took delivery, but a few weeks ago there was no inventory car available anywhere except for like 2 rear wheel drives on the island of Hawaii.

• Informative
Reactions: ZsoZso
When motorized automobiles first came out, they looked a lot like horse drawn carriages. As designers came to understand the differences, the designs changed, improvements were made to suit the purpose of motorized vehicles over the horse drawn carriage. Lots of left over things from carriages were on automobiles, for years, just because people are resistant to change, and designers and engineers hadn’t quite figured everything yet about these new contraptions.

Thank you for this well-reasoned post. My point is that I am fine with changes that take advantage of the EV drivetrain. I am not fine with making something look like 70's sci-fi or something an 8-year-old (Elon) drew while they were bored in class (meeting).

In the case of the former, when someone says, "that looks weird" I can say, "yeah, they did that to allow this...." and then show them the cool new thing that the vehicle can do that an ICE can't. But if it's weird for the sake of being weird, then it's just weird and (most) people will be turned off.

2 more days......

Thank you for this well-reasoned post. My point is that I am fine with changes that take advantage of the EV drivetrain. I am not fine with making something look like 70's sci-fi or something an 8-year-old (Elon) drew while they were bored in class (meeting).

In the case of the former, when someone says, "that looks weird" I can say, "yeah, they did that to allow this...." and then show them the cool new thing that the vehicle can do that an ICE can't. But if it's weird for the sake of being weird, then it's just weird and (most) people will be turned off.

2 more days......

Oh, I’m with you on that. I have my limits on weirdness for weirdness sake as well!

Having said all that about form following function, I’ll be the first to say I miss the days when design was king over aerodynamics and other concerns, automobiles were far more sexy and exciting back in the 1930’s, some really beautiful designs. Now everything pretty much looks the same. -sigh-

I really just want a real usable truck, with a bigger battery for towing, and not some Honda Ridgeline design with a useless sized bed.

Hoping for the best!

I wish there was a type of noisemaker that was somehow not annoying
but still did well to alert the visually impaired of an approaching vehicle.
My desire for a quiet car doesn't seem to override someone else's need for safety,
but surely there's some reasonable middle ground.
What about coconuts sounds?

Customized horn & movement sounds (coconuts being one, of course) coming to Teslas soon

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 6, 2019

Forward cab design is not new. I question whether you can have a true forward cab design and still maintain the safety superiority that Tesla enjoys.

With everyone talking about some earth-shattering change in truck design eventually being not only accepted, but embraced, by the masses - can anyone point to such a stark and immediate change that was successful in being embraced by the masses (as opposed to a more slow and moderate change)?

I think simpler is becoming better with designs - including when one compares a Tesla interior to other cars.

Looking forward to the reveal.